NTSB results from Pride's allision with the dock

iamsteph

i guess ships need a speed limiter/speed govern to restrict the maximum speed the ship can go on, similar to what those 18 wheel semi trucks have.

Not so sure about that; to limit speed of a ship is to limit power. Ships need to be able to summon power on command.

Hopefully Cheng can let us know more about this.

No "speed limiter" is required. The conning officer brought the ship in at too steep an angle with too much speed (i.e. "hot"). Generally, at that point you would be much slower and getting yourself perpendicular to the pier. Pride has bow thrusters and azipods, which make the ship very maneuverable and responsive alongside (wish I'd had those bringing my destroyers and cruisers alongside!). The thing I'm not familiar with is the "joystick" vs "manual" modes they mention. In any case, it's clearly a case of human error.

The thing I'm not familiar with is the "joystick" vs "manual" modes they mention. In any case, it's clearly a case of human error.

I've certainly not operated anything near a cruise ship, but on smaller pleasure craft that I have operated with joysticks, when in a docking situation those joysticks have a full range of motion but can't call on 100% power via the joystick. So full range of motion but a small total output available. It would take switching back to the master transmission and throttle controls to have "full power" at hand.

No "speed limiter" is required. The conning officer brought the ship in at too steep an angle with too much speed (i.e. "hot"). Generally, at that point you would be much slower and getting yourself perpendicular to the pier. Pride has bow thrusters and azipods, which make the ship very maneuverable and responsive alongside (wish I'd had those bringing my destroyers and cruisers alongside!). The thing I'm not familiar with is the "joystick" vs "manual" modes they mention. In any case, it's clearly a case of human error.

100% with you here. While 5+ knots a ship length from the docking location is way too fast, it really should not have been unrecoverable, but it would have drawn derisive comments from us down in the ECR as the "brakes" were used, and it would also have made sure the passengers knew the ship was stopping (it would have shook the fillings out of their teeth up in the buffet :D). The "manual" controls are the separate controls for helm and throttle (azipods) and the thrusters. The joystick control combine these all into one control that inputs a direction and a power level. Some of the ships also combine a GPS input to allow dynamic stationkeeping or the ability to set a heading (heading of pier) and a closure rate towards the dock.