Flip flop/sandals question

atj1971

I'm pretty sure the rule is only aimed at the cheap plastic or rubber kind, like you can buy onboard for $5. Decent looking sandals that happen to be structured like a flipflop are perfectly fine. The only reason you'd need closed-toe shoes would be on a ship with a ropes course or on an excursion.

I wear flip-flops to the MDR almost every night. They're nice leather ones, not the cheap plastic ones from Walmart or Old Navy though. No one has ever said anything to me.

The reason being those are consider thong sandals not flip flops. Any foot covering made with leather straps and a non-plastic sole (preferably wood, cork, or hard man-made materials) are called sandals within the industry. Anything similar made with plastic or a combination of a fabric strap and foam sole are consider flip-flops, even if they are from a designer costing $25-60.

I have seen there are no flip flops allowed in the MDR. Does that mean sandals I have that look like flip flops with a strap on the back? Do I have do get closed toe shoes?

I wear my Teva flip flops to dinner every casual night on every cruise.

Don't know why it would be a big deal as who stares at feet that under the tables?

I wear my Teva flip flops to dinner every casual night on every cruise.

Don't know why it would be a big deal as who stares at feet that under the tables?

It only seems to be a big deal to those that have decided they need to be the fashion / foot wear police for everyone on the ship.

I'm pretty sure the rule is only aimed at the cheap plastic or rubber kind, like you can buy onboard for $5. Decent looking sandals that happen to be structured like a flipflop are perfectly fine. The only reason you'd need closed-toe shoes would be on a ship with a ropes course or on an excursion.

Totally agree.

It's the beach-type, rubber, thong flipflops that are discouraged from being worn in the MDR. However, as with lots of rules on ships...it's not enforced that often as I've seen plenty of people wearing them on casual nights. I personally have worn my Michael Kors' ones in the MDR before. I also wore a pair that have what looks to be a big rhinestone brooch on them in the MDR. Nary a word was said. I usually follow dress codes but on this particular cruise I had brought a pair of shoes that turned out to be very uncomfortable because of a bruise on the top of my foot...I dropped my curling iron on it as I was unpacking. My only other choice was a pair of athletic shoes so I went with the flip flops. I actually wore the rhinestone ones on the two "dress up" nights. A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta a do. ;p

Thank you all for the answers. I have a lot of flip flops that are "blingy" and was worried about not being able to wear them. I really didn't want to lug another pair of shoes along if I didn't have to.

Personally, what a fellow diner chooses to wear to the MDR, even on formal night, has no effect on my dining experience. When I hear of people, usually old busybodies, telling a Texas rancher whose hat cost more than her entire outfit that he needs to remove his hat, I just roll my eyes...

I had ankle surgery on both feet years ago and the only footware I could wear that didn't cause me intense pain were birkenstocks or thong sandals. I wore flip flops into the dining room by necessity. Had anyone said anything to me who didn't have a Carnival uniform on, we'd have been having a serious discussion about manners and lack thereof- namely how their rudeness was much worse than my sandals!

The only reason you'd need closed-toe shoes would be on a ship with a ropes course or on an excursion.

If you are thinking about doing a behind the scenes tour on the ship you'd need closed toe shoes for that also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are thinking about doing a behind the scenes tour on the ship you'd need closed toe shoes for that also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point, Sanger! Also note that if your ship has a ropes course you will have to wear closed-toe shoes to go on it.