Things to do in Freeport (Carnival Elation)

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed, from looking at posted Fun Times, that the Carnival Elation has activities on the beach at Half Moon Cay. I was wondering if they have anything similar at Freeport. I have an excursion booked for Nassau, but I am wondering if I need to book one for Freeport as well. Thanks for your help!

There isn't much around the port itself because it is a very industrial port (and you may get to see Carnival Glory in drydock).

We've taken a taxi to Taino beach and the restaurant there by the beach was pleasant and the drinks were affordable.

We've also taken a taxi to Our Lucaya beach and the Port Lucaya shopping area and it is very nice as well.

We haven't been since last May so I can't speak on what may have been damaged in last October's hurricane though.

If you are asking specifically for beach ideas in Freeport I highly recommend Gold Rocks Beach. Absolutely beautiful! It rivals almost anything else in The Bahamas or Caribbean. A cab can take you. Our Lucaya is also quite good and very popular, although not sure of the current condition. Freeport got hit pretty good by Hurricane Matthew last year. When we docked in November the port had just re-opened and Lucaya was not yet open to the public. Plenty of places near there to grab lunch as well. Other things to do in Freeport are hiking the Lucayan National Forest which is what we did our last time there and really enjoyed it!

Freeport has a lot to offer but gets a bad rap since anything worthwhile requires travelling from the immediate port area. Tripadvisor also has a lot of good ideas.

January visit to Freeport on Carnival Liberty: I was surprised at how much more developed the area is where the ship docked in comparison to my visit several years ago on Carnival Pride. There are many small shops, a gazebo with live music performances, many food stalls, and a couple of nice bars. i.e. Senor Frog's. The people staffing these facilities were, without exception, friendly and guest-oriented. Unless someone wants something more, I don't think a trip elsewhere is needed.

Stay on the ship. Freeport is the worst port in the Caribbean, with Nassau a close second. Those not in the know will be ashore and you will thus be able to utilize the facilities on board easier. If you must go ashore, check out resort for a day and go to an all inclusive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

When we travel we try to stay far away from American chains like Senior Frogs, Margaritaville, and Fat Tuesdays, overpriced, mediocre food and overpriced drinks

In my humble opinion, you have not been to Senor Frog's in Freeport. During this Winter's 3 Caribbean/Bahamas cruises, I did a Rum Punch exploration in the various port of call. Senor Frog's libation ranked in the top 3 and was properly priced. Personnel at the Bar could not have been more pleasant!

When we travel we try to stay far away from American chains like Senior Frogs, Margaritaville, and Fat Tuesdays, overpriced, mediocre food and overpriced drinks

Very good cruise savvy advice .

Yet another vote to stay on the ship. You don't have to fight for loungers; you can do the water rides without waiting; and you can use the money you would have spent on a less-than-optimal excursion for something fun aboard the ship.

Stay on the ship and enjoy sitting by the pool. The shore excursions are overrated and the shopping and beaches you can go to are not exciting. I enjoy watching the ships come and go from the port. There are new shops in the port area, but it is all the same stuff you can get all over the Caribbean and every tourist place in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Stay on the ship. Freeport is the worst port in the Caribbean, with Nassau a close second. Those not in the know will be ashore and you will thus be able to utilize the facilities on board easier. If you must go ashore, check out resort for a day and go to an all inclusive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

After our first experience, we also prefer to just stay on the ship.

Pat and Dianes tours in freeport R amazing We used them 3 times and we Love them. They staff very friendly and alot of fun

we also used Pat & Diane's on our 2015 cruise. had a blast. maybe 15 people on the boat and the island beach to ourselves for lunch.

boat crew was also a lot of fun.

If we go back we would probably do the same again.

Attempted to book Pat & Diane yesterday after receiving e-mail quote. Went on line and booked it for June 2. Got an e-mail last evening stating that they would no longer be doing snorkeling tours due to the damage done from Hurricane Mathew. Really disappointed.

• 3 months later...
If you are asking specifically for beach ideas in Freeport I highly recommend Gold Rocks Beach. Absolutely beautiful! It rivals almost anything else in The Bahamas or Caribbean. A cab can take you. Our Lucaya is also quite good and very popular, although not sure of the current condition. Freeport got hit pretty good by Hurricane Matthew last year. When we docked in November the port had just re-opened and Lucaya was not yet open to the public. Plenty of places near there to grab lunch as well. Other things to do in Freeport are hiking the Lucayan National Forest which is what we did our last time there and really enjoyed it!

Freeport has a lot to offer but gets a bad rap since anything worthwhile requires travelling from the immediate port area. Tripadvisor also has a lot of good ideas.

Hi. Is Gold Rocks Beach an ideal location to take a 2 year old and 5 year old? Are there bathroom facilities or restaurants on this beach? We will be in Freeport on Aug 15th.

I did the Elation Bahamas cruise out of Jacksonville in April. I had a great time. In Freeport, I booked an excursion directly with Paradise Cove. Carnival did not offer it. It is a beach/snorkeling excursion. Paradise Cove picked you up and dropped you back at the ship. You have the option to snorkel or just lounge on the beach. You also have the option to purchase food. Check out their website. I highly recommend this excursion. It is not very crowded and the staff was very nice,:)