Carnival vs. Celebrity

jsglow

Jsglow,

Couldn't agree more. We have beach house in SC, I'm out by 10pm, but live nothing more than early morning cappuccino watching sunrise over the ocean. If I'm in part mode, it's Vegas or Cabo. We often cruise to relax, use spa, great food and reconnect with each other.

So have you sailed other lines? Thoughts seeing as I think you get our vibe? (Again, we love Carnival. Just sayin'.)

Yes, we've done: Carnival, Celebrity,Princess,Cunard,P&O, Royal,Regent,Oceania, Crystal, Azamara,Viking River,Viking Ocean, MSC, Uni, Windstar, and probably a few I don't even remember. Did list of favourites on another thread the other day which I broke down by where we are cruising. Fir us, Celebrity in North America and Azamara in Europe is always where we start looking.

Dee

Yes, we've done: Carnival, Celebrity,Princess,Cunard,P&O, Royal,Regent,Oceania, Crystal, Azamara,Viking River,Viking Ocean, MSC, Uni, Windstar, and probably a few I don't even remember. Did list of favourites on another thread the other day which I broke down by where we are cruising. Fir us, Celebrity in North America and Azamara in Europe is always where we start looking.

Dee

Thanks Dee, I'll go find it.

See that you haven't done Star Clippers. Love those little ships and their secluded anchorages. Give them a try.

So many good responses to the OP that also fit our limited experience on Celebrity (one wonderful transatlantic on S class) and my 17 cruises with Carnival.

Done over 30 Celebrity cruises so my take:

More Country Club than Beach Party, not the place for huge deck parties and belly flop contests or you want to dance the night away.

No Formal Nights, but Evening Chic-- think suits and cocktail dress. All around more adherence to clothing recommendations. Country Club or Saturday night dinner in the City.

We upgraded to Aqua class without a fee and thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and dinner. We met several couples eating in the restaurant and more participataing in the roll call which was well attended. We also enjoyed a specialty restaurant package and enjoying all of those options, it would be hard to go back and not be in an Aqua class room or better.

We have been pretty loyal to Carnival (Platinum), but decided to branch out and try Celebrity for our latest cruise. We were very impressed and wowed. There is really nothing wrong with Carnival, I think it is more a matter of us outgrowing it and tastes and needs evolving. As mentioned, food and entertainment were much better on Celebrity, with more specialty ($$) options. We found the buffet food far superior with cooked to order steaks (actually edible compared to Carnival flat iron steaks) nightly. Yes, cost was higher, although once the free drink package and OBC was factored in, not that much. Drawbacks is nightlife is quieter, fewer ships in Caribbean mean more limited itinerary options. I am so glad we gave them a try and will certainly be back. We will probably still use Carnival for quick getaway and family cruises, etc.

Exactly! We'll be on the Breeze on April 2 and I am booked for an annual Girl's cruise on Carnival in September. We can drive to Galveston and Carnival sails year round here. It's not a difficult choice, but I prefer the comfort of Celebrity. When we find a good price or the Upsell Fairy contacts us, we will get a suite on Carnival or an aft wrap balcony. We eat at the steak house more than once a cruise to enjoy the service and bar options and we've tried the chef's table a few times. The lack of a tablecloth has impacted my appreciation of the MDR. While we have appreciated wonderful servers in the MDR, the water dripping off the table from the condensation and the silverware touching the table makes a difference between eating and dining. The price on Carnival is great, especially considering we can drive to the port, so we'll keep cruising with them but Disney, Princess, and Celebrity would be our choice more often if they sailed out of Galveston regularly.

It's the small things, but mostly if I'm going to be locked up with 3,000 people for at least 10 days, I'll take the Country Club crowd over the Hairy Chest Bellyflop crowd. Don't really want to spend my dinner conversations listening to bubba explain to me how he's maxed out his drinks program for the 4th day straight.

We have enjoyed sitting at a large table in the MDR and meeting people, but Cuervosar's comments reflect our experience on Carnival which is why we normally ask for a table for two when we do visit the MDR.

Others have said they were bored on Celebrity. We weren't bored once in 15 days. Celebrity celebrated Veteran's Day in a surprisingly touching and respectful way that we'll never forget. Coming into NYC with a polite crowd on the decks at the bow of the ship, listening to Frank Sinatra sing New York, New York with champagne bottles popping is an unforgettable memory. My husband learned to play bocce ball on the lawn and attended several interesting presentations while I was in the spa. We had more activities to choose from than time to participate. The bartenders at the pool bar introduced me to a Bloody Ceasar. Loved the ice bar at the martini lounge. We enjoyed the extensive beer selection and pub food. So nice to have crew greeting us with little hot chocolates when we returned to the ship in a cool rain. Great bands all over the ship, dance lessons almost every day, and dancing every night. Yes, we were back in our room most evenings by 11, but we had enjoyed a full day and night.

All in all, we did not spend much more for the 15 day transatlantic in Aqua class than we would for B2B in similar accommodations on Carnival. We had a fabulous time and we are looking forward to another transatlantic in a few years. I have introduced several families to cruising on Carnival and we will return, but we will continue to look for an opportunity to sail Celebrity.

SeeJennyCruise,

Agree. We almost always sail Aqua on Celebrity unless we get a great deal on suite. Love the Hideaway with great coffee and a book for an hour or two. Persian Gardens are heaven.

Dee

13 Carnival cruises (1 more in May) and only one Celebrity so far (2 more booked over the next 2 years). We enjoy Carnival's price point and convenience. I have noticed some decline in Carnival's food and overall service lately but we will continue to cruise them.

Our one Celebrity was a Med cruise and it was wonderful. Someone summed up the difference as Country Club vs. Beach Party. That is pretty accurate.

What I've learned is that if you're someone who cares about the small details, then going on a premium cruise line makes sense because that's where they excel.

But you personally won't know if you care for the differences until you try them. I have friends who only sailed on Carnival and rabidly defended them as if Carnival was their first born child. They believed that Carnival delivered everything that they could ever need on a cruise vacation, and spending an extra dime on another cruise line was a waste of money. That's until friends invited them to sail on the Celebrity Equinox. It was like taking a bite off the forbidden fruit. They ranked the experience a 10 and in comparison downgraded Carnival to a 6.

I'm not saying that this will be your case, but once again, you won't know if it's for you until you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great bands all over the ship, dance lessons almost every day, and dancing every night. Yes, we were back in our room most evenings by 11, but we had enjoyed a full day and night.

This is the part we experienced on celebrity. Not sure what people are referring to reference being bored or there being nothing to do... There's the trivia, bingo, and 'seminars' that appear on every cruise that I never go to... but recall on celebrity there also being a 'top chef' contest, a free kitchen tour, various informational talks through the day on a variety of topics, the entertainment crew having 'pop up' style shows through the ship in the evenings, lots of live music... for me there was much more 'to do' than on carnival... now if you strictly want the silly and loud events at the pool and a night club to dance all night in - fair enough, carnival is better at that.

We're kind of intrigued by some of Celebrity's alternative itineraries out of San Juan. That's one area where Carnival could expand its offerings. Seems like they are limiting their ports a bit too much these days unless it's a Journey. Once was a time when Carnival went all the way to Panama on an 8 day or did Dominica out of San Juan. Not so much anymore.

Once was a time when Carnival went all the way to Panama on an 8 day.

If Carnival ever brought back the 8 night Panama / Costa Rica / Belize itinerary, I'd book it in a heartbeat.

I've been on 31 Carnival cruises and Celebrity Summit just twice. I cruised Celebrity in the winter months out of San Juan on a Southern itinerary, and was able to get an inside solo cabin for myself at less cost than the Carnival Fascination from San Juan.

I thought the buffet, MDR food and the specialty restaurants on Celebrity were much better than Carnival's, the entertainment was a bit nicer on "X" as well. My 2 Celebrity cruises had an older, slimmer, and more "coupled" demographic than Carnival, but nightlife ended early on X.

I was a bit surprised when I heard loud, loud, music blaring over X's main pool area, and the CD and entertainment staff jumped in the pool for volleyball games with the guests. The CD kept his PA announcements briefer than Varnival's CDs who tend to go on and on and on........

If I see another Celebrity cruise priced reasonably the same or less than Carnival's, I would book X in a NY minute. I would miss the Carnival Diamond perks, but hey, it's another cruise, maybe this time in a more exotic locale.

What I've learned is that if you're someone who cares about the small details, then going on a premium cruise line makes sense because that's where they excel.

But you personally won't know if you care for the differences until you try them. I have friends who only sailed on Carnival and rabidly defended them as if Carnival was their first born child. They believed that Carnival delivered everything that they could ever need on a cruise vacation, and spending an extra dime on another cruise line was a waste of money. That's until friends invited them to sail on the Celebrity Equinox. It was like taking a bite off the forbidden fruit. They ranked the experience a 10 and in comparison downgraded Carnival to a 6.

I'm not saying that this will be your case, but once again, you won't know if it's for you until you try it.

Exactly and well said. I figured that when I was able to predict what Carnival's CDs were about to announce, it was time to try another cruise line and find out what I was missing!

I've mentioned several times in posts about San Juan that Celebrity Summit can be priced similar to Carnival Fascination. In my case, and inside solo cabin in winter months cost me less on "X".

You really can't compare the two. Celebrity is in the upper tier of main stream. The ships are much more sophisticated. The food, especially in the Blu Dining room is much much better, Tableclothes in the main dining room. Entertainment is much better in Celebrity. Ships are some of the nicest at sea. Celebrity is sort of like staying a a Hilton and eating at Season's 52. Carnival is sort is definitely mass market mainstream. Ships are very crowded, lot of noice, lot of activity. Sort of like staying at a Hilton Express and eating at Denny's. This is not to take away from Carnival, you get good value for the money, but in no way can it be compared to Celebrity.

You really can't compare the two. Celebrity is in the upper tier of main stream. The ships are much more sophisticated. The food, especially in the Blu Dining room is much much better, Tableclothes in the main dining room. Entertainment is much better in Celebrity. Ships are some of the nicest at sea. Celebrity is sort of like staying a a Hilton and eating at Season's 52. Carnival is sort is definitely mass market mainstream. Ships are very crowded, lot of noice, lot of activity. Sort of like staying at a Hilton Express and eating at Denny's. This is not to take away from Carnival, you get good value for the money, but in no way can it be compared to Celebrity.

I am just now starting to research Celebrity cruises, and the more reviews I read, and photos I see, and opinions I read here about Celebrity the more interested I am becoming in wanting to try that cruiseline for our next cruise. We have cruised on Disney, Royal and the most with Carnival. Carnival is fine, but we're ready to try something new, and nicer.

Jsglow,

I don't. We've done 6 Princess and I just booked # 32 Celebrity today. We find Princess more dated in both decor and menu. My husband iftens describes Princess as the "Cinderella" of CCL, it's not sure if it wants to be Carnival it Celebrity. I truly prefer the style of Celebrity much more. That said, still think they do the best Alaskan cruises and for Mexico or Hawaii Is give them a shot.

Dee

Thanks Dee. I too had heard they are the way to go for Alaska. Sincerely appreciate your counsel.

We're really intrigued by some of the alternate Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean. We're still at a life stage where 8 days is about the limit. Perhaps we'll sail them out of San Juan. LOVE starting there.

Do you veterans view Celebrity and Princess as lateral competitors? Preference?

We have had several cruises on Royal C, Celebrity, Carnival and Princess - loved them all. Our opinion of Celebrity vs Princess: Celebrity is a little better, but not enough for us to pay more for equal itinerary.

Jsglow,

I don't. We've done 6 Princess and I just booked # 32 Celebrity today. We find Princess more dated in both decor and menu. My husband iftens describes Princess as the "Cinderella" of CCL, it's not sure if it wants to be Carnival it Celebrity. I truly prefer the style of Celebrity much more. That said, still think they do the best Alaskan cruises and for Mexico or Hawaii Is give them a shot.

Dee

I just have the one for one comparison and I would agree. We're taking Princess out of Long Beach next year, but we are planning to book the new Celebrity Edge for 2019. We feel a little out of our league on Celebrity, but it is the most relaxed and pampered I've ever been at sea and I cruise to relax.