How salty is HAL food

judymag

Agree, the hot soups are very salty including my beloved HAL french onion soup, though the lovely cold fruit soups are often sweet enough to order for dessert.

I drink tons of water (tap) and do not have swelling issues - just lucky I guess.

My past DH used to get the fruit soups for dessert and once the steward had a dollop of ice cream added, which my DH had frequently ordered. These became his new favorite desserts.

So what have we learned here? Even Drs. don't agree. We all seem to taste food differently due to our tasting buds on our tongue I guess. I do quite a bit of walking on HAL ships and on the ports of call. My feet swell. Obviously HAL puts salt into their recipes as they can offer "no salt" meals. It is a good idea to hydrate but on the other hand that means one needs to find bathrooms on shore. The solution: STAY HOME!.;)

So what have we learned here? Even Drs. don't agree. We all seem to taste food differently due to our tasting buds on our tongue I guess. I do quite a bit of walking on HAL ships and on the ports of call. My feet swell. Obviously HAL puts salt into their recipes as they can offer "no salt" meals. It is a good idea to hydrate but on the other hand that means one needs to find bathrooms on shore. The solution: STAY HOME!.;)

Not staying home and no feet swelling. I decided to skip the ship's water last time and that seemed to solve the problem.

Stay home is not a good choice for us, yet ;)

There isn't any salt in the water. People they also say legs swelling even without drinking the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Umm, then why was HAL selling desalinated water for a while? All I know is that once I changed it made a difference.

A BIG difference. Maybe it was a fluke?

I drink the water , eat the food , walk everywhere . Don't get swollen legs or feet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad for you. Some of us do. And, yes I walk a LOT. I was just stating what helped me. It made a difference (along with a few sauces, probably). It's only an issue I have with flying or cruising. And I don't plan to stop either ;). So I work around it.

It's an issue for some. You are blessed it is not for you.

We find that the soups on HAL can be a bit salty, but the rest of the food is usually fine. I have had some cruises where I have had issues with swelling and no problems on others. DH has never had a problem. I have no idea what makes the difference. Puzzling.

I found the hot soups to be too salty last month on the Zuiderdam. I stopped ordering them. DH likes the fruity soups, so he did not have a problem. The other food seemed to be OK--not too salty, not in need of salt.

My feet swell so much I often can't get anything other than flip flops on my feet. I drink gallons of water, both ship and bottled and never eat soup. I do walk everywhere but I have put it down to change in diet being a salt free , low processed food person and heat ... I found my feet swelled on a recent land based trip to the Canary Islands too so I don't think it can be the water as you can only drink bottled there ...