POA review in progress: March 4-11, 2017, Room 7518

reporterbabe

Final thoughts:

We were hesitant at first to book this trip because it's so much more expensive than just going to the Caribbean. But it's so worth it.

First of all: it is the best way, hands down, to get a taste of all the major Hawaiian islands. We had talked about this trip for a long time (anyone else hooked on HGTV's Hawaii Life?) and our list of places we wanted to see stretched across several islands. But the idea of Island-hopping and changing hotels just didn't appeal to us.

The Pride of America was our floating hotel. Seven days without a suitcase. Every morning, a new island. No worry about finding restaurants or figuring out what to do -- we mostly took ship excursions and only researched trips on our own at the places we definitely wanted to customize.

The food was okay. Loved the buffet at breakfast and for dessert at night. Main dining room was decent. We didn't spend more for the other restaurants because food just wasn't a priority.

I will never cruise without a balcony again. I loved our room. It was just enough for the two of us and way more room than in our camper!

Something I would change about the ship: it only sails around Hawaii. Why isn't that reflected more in the food? Shave ice, anyone? There were guides on the ship with Hawaiian themes but, really, it's a ship that mostly is a floating hotel.

30b671db893bd59bcd298e6fa8872041.jpg

I was so relaxed by the end of the trip and I never even hit a spa. Heck, by the end of the trip, I hadn't worn makeup in days! That's me right before leaving our balcony for the last time. The necklace is a gift from me to me from the jewelry store on the ship.

At 49 and 52, DH and I were among the youngest couples on the trip. I imagine that changes during peak season -- we sailed right before spring break in early March, so there were hardly any families on board.

Thought: does anyone actually pose with those weird mascots in costumes when you disembark at the various ports?

Best excursion: Road to Hana with Epic Experience Maui, hands down. If we do go back to Hawaii, a longer stay on Maui -- and more time with Emily -- is at the top of the list.

Need to see again: I still want to see the lava flowing into the ocean! Hope our fellow passenger made it through okay.

Must souvenir: An aloha shirt/dress! Even if DH and I did disappoint the sales lady on Oahu who kept trying to convince us we needed to match.

Also: You will convince yourself you can find Moana Loa macadamia nuts at home. If you live on the east coast, you are very wrong. Ship twice as much as you think you need at home!

DH and I are now talking about a river cruise in Europe or Alaska or the Panama Canal. Someday. But we will always have Hawaii!

Aloha! Any questions? Thanks for reading!

12b98f470230df077e2a0a7d1f1fb1c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another pro tip: do not put your room key and drivers license in your pocket during this ride! Because when they fall overboard, there's no net to grab them with and they will float into the cave. And while a guide may try to rescue them, the waves are strong.

I have no idea how this fellow traveler got back on the boat.

I accidentally donated my wallet to Cozumel. It contained my sail and sign card as well as my son's, my license, and my one and only credit card... Got on the boat though!

Great review! This cruise is definitely on my bucket list. We did a week in Oahu years ago and it was amazing. I would love to island hop without having to carry my suitcase from island to island.

Love, love, loved your review! We sail in October and we're also flying in a couple of days to hopefully get use to the time change (we're from the East Coast as well). Tell me more about the pearls. Did you go to a jewelry store and picked an oyster? Hilo or Kona?

The pearls!

451ab1ea8041d6617e2f6005a4d18054.jpg

This is my ring, which I've worn nearly every day since I got back. I love love love it. It's silver, with plumeria on either side.

There are Pearl-picking places all over the islands. Mine is from Maui Divers Jewelry, the one inside the macadamia nut factory on Big Island. They have places everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the whole idea is to get you so excited about getting a Pearl -- or two! -- you immediately splurge for a nice expensive setting. I was prepared for this. I tend to wear silver anyway, so when the fast-talking sales lady whipped out platinum, I said "no-no -- silver!"

I was ready to buy it for myself, but my husband snuck up behind me and said something along the lines of "I'm buying this for the pretty lady!"

Anyway, I loved the whole thing. It's an experience. They had coupons on the table for 50 percent off choosing a Pearl (there are coupons this everywhere). Picking an oyster is about $15 (pre-coupon), the lady advises you to get an ugly one for the best pearls, then she opens it right there.

I had two pearls. She tried to convince me to put both in a setting but that was too big for my hand. We kept the second one loose, then decided to see if the store on board could set it.

Na Hoku is on on the POA. They also have a Pearl picking station and settings that were quite a bit less than Maui Divers. I think the ring for my daughter was about $40? It's very pretty and I hope she'll like it for her 17th birthday this month.

Oh yes, and both places gave me lots of lifetime guarantee paperwork for the rings!

In sum: loved it, suffering no illusions it's museum quality, and it's a wonderful souvenir!

This is my daughter's ring from this ship, which has meile leaves on either side.

421e89935a35c4d29f7d06b7a97ed5a5.jpg

From the little bag, the pick-a-Pearl line looks like it's called Pearl Factory in the ship's jewelry store. Not as blingy as the Maui Divers but also not as expensive.

The pearls!

451ab1ea8041d6617e2f6005a4d18054.jpg

This is my ring, which I've worn nearly every day since I got back. I love love love it. It's silver, with plumeria on either side.

There are Pearl-picking places all over the islands. Mine is from Maui Divers Jewelry, the one inside the macadamia nut factory on Big Island. They have places everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the whole idea is to get you so excited about getting a Pearl -- or two! -- you immediately splurge for a nice expensive setting. I was prepared for this. I tend to wear silver anyway, so when the fast-talking sales lady whipped out platinum, I said "no-no -- silver!"

I was ready to buy it for myself, but my husband snuck up behind me and said something along the lines of "I'm buying this for the pretty lady!"

Anyway, I loved the whole thing. It's an experience. They had coupons on the table for 50 percent off choosing a Pearl (there are coupons this everywhere). Picking an oyster is about $15 (pre-coupon), the lady advises you to get an ugly one for the best pearls, then she opens it right there.

I had two pearls. She tried to convince me to put both in a setting but that was too big for my hand. We kept the second one loose, then decided to see if the store on board could set it.

Na Hoku is on on the POA. They also have a Pearl picking station and settings that were quite a bit less than Maui Divers. I think the ring for my daughter was about $40? It's very pretty and I hope she'll like it for her 17th birthday this month.

Oh yes, and both places gave me lots of lifetime guarantee paperwork for the rings!

In sum: loved it, suffering no illusions it's museum quality, and it's a wonderful souvenir!

I love the idea of pearls as gifts for my daughter, daughter-in-law and niece. I was thinking of getting them a bracket and charm made of koa wood but I really like the idea of picking pearls from oysters and setting them in jewelry. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Just finished 1st page and had to comment.

1st if I stepped on an elevator and it said weight limit reached I might have to jump ship of embarrassment!LOL

Ugh...never check the box. Just be sensible. That is absolutely crazy I can see how safety is paramount but seriously.

On my 1st RCCL cruise I noticed crazy hand sanitizing. Wipey Wipey police in full force....I was like wow. Then they made announcement of noro on board....2 days later on our private island day, I walk to across island find a good spot sit down and smell the BBQ they are cooking. Now I didn't feel well but figured it would pass. 1 bathroom trip and 20 min later feeling very nauseaus and weak. So sick I could not sit on a lounge chair I needed my bed in the dark and quiet.

Went back to ship and they were making announcements to please call infirmary if you are sick. They will give out free medicin that will help.

So I called I felt that sick. Not sorry I did and my experience was better than yours IMO.

They sent nurse gave me medicine and said I am quarantined for 24 hours. They will send food. small cup plain rice and broth.

Next day bigger portion same stuff till dinner when nurse said I was ok.

With that said. They did not tell me after that to not go to buffet....however they had servers at buffet because of noro.

Also my family in my room was free to go about ship and encouraged them to leave room.

Thank god I had a balcony.

Funny part was they brought biohazard bag for me to put food in. And after 24 hours room steward apologizing profusely shows up with a pretty much a hazmat suit to clean room. And my room was tagged for extra scrubbing on my way out.

I received free movies in room and they gave a credit for that days cruise. Never did use it but I thought there handling of the situation was proper.

Sorry your were put through it like that.

Now off to read rest of review:-)

Kerri

I almost forgot! Bad thing #3 happened that night!

If you're considering this trip, you know what happens between Hilo and Kona: the ship passes by an active volcano flow into the ocean.

We had so much angst over this when we were booked into a portside balcony, since this can be seen on the starboard side. We sucked it up and went out on deck to join the party.

Problem #1: We left Hilo late, so the viewing was at 10:30 rather than 9:45 pm.

Problem #2: About 8 minutes before we reached the viewing area, the captain came on the intercom: due to a passenger' medical emergency, the ship was turning around, immediately, and heading back to Hilo. We were 4 hours out of port but there were no other options.

Wow!

I don't know when the ship entered Hilo. The passenger was tendered off. When I asked af the desk the next day, they said he was stable and expected to make it.

So we arrived in Kona several hours late, which led to a lot of scrambling over shore excursions. Luckily, we booked our Captain Zodiac snorkeling excursion for the afternoon.

69c1653913d1292b2db0591e4f35a297.jpg

a6e0aaa44ca77f3e2205aaa6e2893b6e.jpg

0d860f5231bf8ccdf50e55716a95ec6b.jpg

This is a great trip but your ass is going to be bruised. There's no way around it. You sit on the side of the raft, hold onto a rope for dear life, and go bouncing over the waves.

Don't even bother with a hat.

We settled in the cove where Captain Cook's memorial sits, donned flippers, masks and snorkels and plopped in. Wow. It was amazing. So many blue and yellow fish!

On the way back, we stopped by a really cool sea cave.

f3fd0b7ee36d2299c46ba0848ba4b627.jpg

Another pro tip: do not put your room key and drivers license in your pocket during this ride! Because when they fall overboard, there's no net to grab them with and they will float into the cave. And while a guide may try to rescue them, the waves are strong.

I have no idea how this fellow traveler got back on the boat.

ef12151da3bce0c56c99139f2bcee24f.jpg

Ok I didn't make it past 2nd page.

I am booked on POA this July in a port balcony.

I thought the viewing was from the PORT side. I know you didn't get to see it but are you sure it is on Starboard side:eek:

Thanks

Kerri

Also, on the port side, you get a .... port view at every island. Keep that in mind when you go out on your balcony. But I thought port was worth it just for the luxury on being on our own balcony during the Na Pali coast sail-by -- they do turn around, but the sail back is faster and further out.

Also, on the port side, you get a .... port view at every island. Keep that in mind when you go out on your balcony. But I thought port was worth it just for the luxury on being on our own balcony during the Na Pali coast sail-by -- they do turn around, but the sail back is faster and further out.

Thanks

Just finished your amazing review!! You have convinced me to do a private tour of road to hana. I was not going to do it because I was worried about queasiness. I don't get sick but amalfi coast ride almost did me in. But I'm thinkin worse case we turn back around. Ship tour I be stuck.

Ok so is Hilo when the lava flows and that is starboard?

Thanks

Kerri

Emily is Epic Experience Maui (website by the same name) and it was about $450 for two, which included transportation, water and snacks. She talked with my husband extensively beforehand about what we wanted to see and our athletic level and put together our tour based on that. She has a few other tours as well.

Thanks so much! We go the same week as you went this year in 2018.

We'll definitely be contacting Emily. Sounds amazing.

Bob and Alice

• 2 months later...

Behold, our lei collection: flower and kukui nut leis from luau, shell leis from boarding the ship and a greeting from Hilo Hattie.

Daily lei classes were offered on the ship. It was weird to get to Logan Airport and see everyone in dark clothes with no leis."

Hi. Thanks for the great post. Can you tell me if every passenger gets a lei when they get on the ship? Or do you have to pay separately for them? Also, are there any flower leis or just shells? Thanks!