$7.95 Room Service Charge

Hi everyone,

We know there's been some confusion regarding the difference between the older menu, and the upgraded one. For comparison, please see the following menus.

Hope this helps!

Not cool Royal Caribbean. I do not appreciate this move.

At a minimum you should develop a 24 hour restaurant on all ships like NCL has so there is always an availability of included food on the ship.

So if I understand, it's one charge per cabin? So you could order like 4 things and pay one charge? If so that might backfire, I could see people ordering way more than they really want to get their money's worth. And looking at the new menu posted above it seems one could really go to town.

So if I understand, it's one charge per cabin? So you could order like 4 things and pay one charge? If so that might backfire, I could see people ordering way more than they really want to get their money's worth. And looking at the new menu posted above it seems one could really go to town.

During Spring Break I can see a bunch of college kids ordering the entire menu.

Figures they implement this right before my April 2 cruise :mad:

At least continental breakfast is still free - we'll be ordering that a couple times, but mostly going to the Windjammer.

I'm not looking forward to an even more crowded Windjammer at breakfast & lunch.

I know I've read at least one post by someone who almost never leaves their cabin on a cruise. I can't remember the thread, but that person had severe mobility issues and just sailed to relax and sit on their balcony to enjoy the view and read, and they ordered room service for almost every meal. $24/day x 7 days is an extra $168 and that's if they don't feel like a mid-afternoon snack.

I wonder what they'll do for people who have to be quarantined to their room because of illness? Would they still make them pay for room service, or risk people with Noro sneaking up to the WJ so they can get food they don't have to pay extra for :rolleyes: :eek:

Says gratuity is included in the $7.95 and anymore is at the discretion of the cruiser. So if you tipped $3 to $4 bucks before then its only another $3 or $4 now for what seems to be a nicer lunch and dinner menu as long as the $7.95 is per order and not per pp. I rarely used room service on my previous cruises so no big deal to me. Happy cruising guys, or not :cool:

Says gratuity is included in the $7.95 and anymore is at the discretion of the cruiser. So if you tipped $3 to $4 bucks before then its only another $3 or $4 now for what seems to be a nicer lunch and dinner menu as long as the $7.95 is per order and not per pp. I rarely used room service on my previous cruises so no big deal to me. Happy cruising guys, or not :cool:

Tipping was always at the discretion of the cruiser. I'd wonder if the "gratuity included" they refer to is just the typical portion of the normal daily gratuity charge and not from the extra $7.95.

Room service fee is NOT "nickeling and diming" - you don't have to have room service in order to eat. In a hotel - room service menu items cost more than the dining room and you still have to tip. It is a choice you make.

Sure it is; $5 here, $10 there to have the experience you had included with your fare the last time you went. Guess it depends on how you look at it. Did you cruise fare just get lower? Doubtful

Room service is available onboard any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite (late night service charge of $3.95* applies). *Servicecharge subject to change without notice. Subject to change is the big one.

I don't see any mention of a limit to the number of orders of each item that is included in the $7.95. Just says $7.95 per room.

We are in a connecting room with our kids and grandkids. Our other son is next to them. We will all post our order together for a late night feast that is cheaper than Johnny Rockets. Nachos, wings, burgers, cheese cake and cookies. When i look at the price of the cruise now and i paid over $1,000 less than what they are charging now i am good with it

This sucks...especially for anyone that has paid in full for a upcoming cruise departing within the next couple of months.

I sent off a letter of complaint to Customer Service and a Crown & Anchor. I would have appreciated more notice of this policy change BEFORE I paid in full and in the penalty period.

This profits RCI only...not even the staff that carries the very heavy trays....that will really be loaded now.

Please email RCI and voice your opinion. Many voices "may" be heard by RCI?

I am disappointed that on my upcoming cruise, this won't be in effect yet although it's the Anthem so there already is a limited free menu. The new menu looks to be much improved, service will hopefully be quicker with fewer orders and it is rumored that this fee covers gratuity So if you are happy with this change, also write to RCL and express that.

I wonder what they'll do for people who have to be quarantined to their room because of illness? Would they still make them pay for room service, or risk people with Noro sneaking up to the WJ so they can get food they don't have to pay extra for :rolleyes: :eek:

Good point! I hope this back-fires on RCI Greed. :mad:

To be honest, I agree it is it unfair of RCI to introduce new charges on such a short time scale - especially after Final Payment for some upcoming cruises....

BUT...

I will admit that Ive never used room service. I assumed that the argument was that the cost was going from free to 7.95

When I examine the menu's, I see that the previous menu was very limited. I always assumed I could have ordered to have practically anything delivered to my room. When I look however, 99% of the limited menu that I would even think about ordering were not free - they were charged per item!

So while I appreciate that some people may have just ordered the free items, personally I would prefer to pay 7.95 for unlimited number of items that actually sound appealing.

This is just my personal view, and I do appreciate the view that something advertised as free should be free..... but just wanted to highlight this fir people (like myself) who have never looked at the old menu!

Ahh, i only used room service a few times, not a big deal for me. I usually go to WindJammer make a few plates and take them back to the room.

I think that is the thing for me. I was unaware you could take food from the Windjammer to your room. We ordered our breakfast from room service, and yes I always tipped, but last cruise the room service food kind of stunk so we went back to the Windjammer. Now that I know I can take a plate back to my room and eat on my balcony I will do that and that makes me happy! Thank you for telling me!

So if a person is booked on an upcoming cruise and not on these forums or on Facebook, how would they even find out about this new charge? When they stepped foot on the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Room service is available onboard any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite (late night service charge of $3.95* applies). *Servicecharge subject to change without notice. Subject to change is the big one.

LATE NIGHT service charge subject to change. Not paid for service subject to cancelation.

Does anyone remember when the food at JR's was free, and then they added a fee to manage demand. That fee has increased a few times since being implemented, yet they have cruisers who go drop $40 there for a family to have burgers and fries and convince themselves it was a better choice than the included MDR.

This won't backfire on Royal.

This sucks...especially for anyone that has paid in full for a upcoming cruise departing within the next couple of months.

I sent off a letter of complaint to Customer Service and a Crown & Anchor. I would have appreciated more notice of this policy change BEFORE I paid in full and in the penalty period.

This profits RCI only...not even the staff that carries the very heavy trays....that will really be loaded now.

Please email RCI and voice your opinion. Many voices "may" be heard by RCI?

You can soothe your conscience a bit. They usually use carts. :D

I have paid in full, sail in May, can't cancel without penalty and feel like I should have been grandfathered in on this. I know many others sailing shortly feel similar. Without getting into specifics, I had an email from RCCL about this a bit ago encouraging me to talk to guest services about these charges while on the ship. I am guessing they will have have discretion to remove these charges for people that address this with them directly. I feel a bit better now about all of this after that email. I would encourage others to do the same.