asian restaurant on the gem

poona1

Orchid Garden Asian Restaurant

"Enjoy a complimentary Asian Fusion dining venue featuring freshly prepared noodles,

delicious wok fried dishes, authentic soups, and more."

On our Gem cruise, I ordered the udon noodle soup and fried rice.

It was very good! But, too much for me to finish.

I'm afraid NCL will catch on, and no longer offer this as "complimentary".

Do reserve a dinner time( make reservation earlier in the day, before 5 pm.).

Make a reservation as the seating is limited.

Edited by $hip$hape

Reviews have always been mixed on every Orchid Garden, but I think it's more than OK. People complain about small portions but you can order as many starters and mains as you wants. The pot stickers are darn good, as are a few of the main dishes. Desserts aren't worth saving capacity for, IMHO. I'll guess that they'll start disappearing and that will be a shame.

We've given the Orchid Garden on the Gem a few tries on a couple of cruises. Food of course is subjective, but except for a few appetizers, we thought the food there was mediocre at best. I can't imagine anyone ever paid for it, I think it's too costly (in terms of wasted time) even as a "complimentary" restaurant.

YMMV.

Personally, I find any of the local Chinese/Asian fusion family dining to be better and never impressed by those on the ship. It is seldom full when open & you can do just a walk-in (even when they used to open for lunch on sea days). One of my nephew was on her in January & they tried it once, enough & didn't go back - some of the better & nicer dishes are gone. We will likely consider it in a few weeks, will do a brief update in May once we come back. Yes, it's free.

Within that nice and general space is the Sushi bar and off to the side, Teppanyaki - but not well utilized and wasted. In contrast, Shanghai Noodles (with its own small but open kitchen, mostly cooked to order is nice & hot) on the *Away ships, even as a free option, these days - isn't bad for its limited choices and maybe NCL should convert OG to more causal and comfort food dining, easier on the gallery & chef in preparing the simple dishes ... one can hope.

The fried/steamed pot stickers aren't hand-made & came from land-based wholesaler (same ones in Asian supermarket, $4 for a frozen bag, enough for 4 to 6 serving as starter) and steamed it as soup dumplings - just avoid the so called egg drop soup or hot & sour soup (yikes).

I do wish to try the Asian restaurant at lunch. Unfortunately they're only open during dinner time. I always find the ship's lunch rather bland and boring especially the buffet (I'd once gone hungry at lunch on a cruise because of that and I'm not much of a picky eater!) so it would be nice to have an Asian choice during lunch hour.

I do wish to try the Asian restaurant at lunch. Unfortunately they're only open during dinner time. I always find the ship's lunch rather bland and boring especially the buffet (I'd once gone hungry at lunch on a cruise because of that and I'm not much of a picky eater!) so it would be nice to have an Asian choice during lunch hour.

I cannot for the life of me imagine someone NOT being able to find something to eat for lunch - picky eater or not.

The buffet has so many options - international as well as anything else you could want.

Anyone who goes hungry on a cruise ship just shouldn't be cruising. Some of the food may not be "exciting", but certainly not everything is "bland and boring".

I cannot for the life of me imagine someone NOT being able to find something to eat for lunch - picky eater or not.

The buffet has so many options - international as well as anything else you could want.

Some of the food may not be "exciting", but certainly not everything is "bland and boring".

I agree.

However I tend to find food "bland and boring" after I eat too much.

5dd4334868de7889d2b8209cfbec49b0_lazy-fat-cat-i-ate-too-much-ate-too-much-memes_400-400.jpeg