Daily spending cap

Yes, you can put a specific amount of cash on their cards...when it's gone, it's gone....that's how I'd approach it. You could put some on daily, but what a hassle that would be!

Aside from the arcade, I can't see much kids would need or want to "buy"...if they are with you, then you can buy things on YOUR card for them.

Balances can be checked via your TV!

Thank you. They are old enough to sign themselves in and out of the kids club, and they like to buy useless junk when they get the chance. Plus there is a cupcake store. At Disney, they each had their own giftcard for spending too help them budget. I don't want to be constantly policing their spending. In Port, will be challenging enough.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Can you put any kind of cap on how much your kids can spend onboard in a day? Can their cards be linked to their own prepaid Visa? We are working on money management, but it is easy to lose track when using a card.

As mentioned, yes and yes. Guest services will set their SeaPass cards up however you wish.

Can you put any kind of cap on how much your kids can spend onboard in a day? Can their cards be linked to their own prepaid Visa? We are working on money management, but it is easy to lose track when using a card.

I would look at the prepaid Visa and verify that it can be used on a cruise ship. I know, in the past, you could not use them to secure your onboard account. It might have changed recently, but I would look into it before you go loading money.

If you think they are not responsible enough to control their spending, you can also set their accounts up to have no charging privileges. You will also be able to monitor their spending on the tv in your cabin. My DH and I check our on board account everyday on the tv so that we don't find any surprises at the end of the week. Errors do happen and it is better to find them earlier in the week than have to stand in line on the last night.

I would look at the prepaid Visa and verify that it can be used on a cruise ship. I know, in the past, you could not use them to secure your onboard account. It might have changed recently, but I would look into it before you go loading money.

If you think they are not responsible enough to control their spending, you can also set their accounts up to have no charging privileges. You will also be able to monitor their spending on the tv in your cabin. My DH and I check our on board account everyday on the tv so that we don't find any surprises at the end of the week. Errors do happen and it is better to find them earlier in the week than have to stand in line on the last night.

That's a good point an one that should be checked with RCI directly. But since they would not be the primary card used to secure the account they may be ok as they would in essence be treated as cash, and specific to each individual SeaPass card apart from the primary. But again, should be checked out first.

I didn't think about it not being usable for the cruise. I will definitely call and check. I am trying to give them some freedom and responsibility for their spending money. I will definitely be watching the accounts. This is a pricey vacation, to not be careful of overspending. If they have a spending cap, it is less of a worry for me.

Be advised, there have been reports here on CC that setting a spending limit on the kids' SeaPass cards does not apply to the arcade. I don't know for sure from personal experience (DD isn't old enough to be unsupervised yet) and it may or may not apply to all RCI ships in the fleet, but you should be aware of this being a possibility and inquire with Guest Services once on board, and plan for accordingly.

Be advised, there have been reports here on CC that setting a spending limit on the kids' SeaPass cards does not apply to the arcade. I don't know for sure from personal experience (DD isn't old enough to be unsupervised yet) and it may or may not apply to all RCI ships in the fleet, but you should be aware of this being a possibility and inquire with Guest Services once on board, and plan for accordingly.

That was true on Freedom 2 weeks ago. We were able to go to Guest Services and put a spending limit on our teens seapass but they informed us it didn't apply to the arcade. We were able to keep tabs on their arcade spending by checking our statement on the cabin TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think about it not being usable for the cruise. I will definitely call and check. I am trying to give them some freedom and responsibility for their spending money. I will definitely be watching the accounts. This is a pricey vacation, to not be careful of overspending. If they have a spending cap, it is less of a worry for me.

You know what works best for your kids.:)

We bought our son a soda package and allowed him to buy one virgin frozen drink a day or a Benny and Jerry's ice cream. Anything else he wanted to buy, he had to get pre-approved by us. He knew if he went above what he was allowed to spend, he would have to reimburse us. He also had his own money to spend in port or could have bought something on the ship and reimburse us. He only played the arcade games when they were free, which is typically the first night. He said they were lame and never went back.:cool: He was also 15 when he started cruising with us, so he was used to dealing with rules and consequences.

We did check his account every night, as well as our own. Luckily, he stayed within his spending parameters.

Set the rules up front and stick to your guns!:)

You know what works best for your kids.:)

We bought our son a soda package and allowed him to buy one virgin frozen drink a day or a Benny and Jerry's ice cream. Anything else he wanted to buy, he had to get pre-approved by us. He knew if he went above what he was allowed to spend, he would have to reimburse us. He also had his own money to spend in port or could have bought something on the ship and reimburse us. He only played the arcade games when they were free, which is typically the first night. He said they were lame and never went back.:cool: He was also 15 when he started cruising with us, so he was used to dealing with rules and consequences.

We did check his account every night, as well as our own. Luckily, he stayed within his spending parameters.

Set the rules up front and stick to your guns!:)

I already promised them the refreshment package. They are getting a low on ship limit. I mean almost everything they could want is covered. I don't want them unsupervised. The rule will be to come to us if they leave the kids club, but I think giving them the freedom to get a sundae or cupcake on the way would make them feel more independent. Plus it will stop the begging for constant stuff from the ship's stores. They are much more frugal with their own money. Lol

Thanks for the heads up. They will be warned about the arcade. Though I have my doubts that they will want to spend money there.

It's simple with mine, they each have money from allowance and gifts etc. One has an actual account the other keeps cash in a lockbox. Anything I don't buy for them get paid back. For the older one with the HS checking account I can transfer money on my phone in about 10 seconds. so he can get whatever he wants. The younger one settles up when we get home. They very rarely buy anything.