Transfer from Anchorage to Seward

midwestchick

I'm looking at a Celebrity cruise that begins in Seward but we would fly into Anchorage. I would like to know what others have done about the transfer. Does Celebrity provide a transfer or do you have to arrange it on your own? If so, what is the cost? Hope to book early this week but trying to figure out what seems to be a big hurdle.

I would absolutely do car hire. The drive is stunning (yes, the train is too) but you will have the ability to stop where you want and take in the stunning scenery. Depending on how much time you have, on the drive down you could go and do the Alyeska Tram and also stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center - to name just 2 of the options. It's such an easy drive and the benefits are well worth it. Yes, one way car hire can be little expensive but depending on how many people are in your group, it can quickly become cost effective. When I went in 2015, the car hire was cheaper than the train for 2 of us.

We are sailing on HAL and they offer bus transfers between Anchorage and Seward. I would assume that most cruise lines offer this. If not, there are private bus companies that offer this service. Here's what I found when I was searching for our upcoming Alaska cruise:

http://www.sewardalaskabus.com/

http://www.alaskacoach.com/routes/anchorage-seward.html

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/

Your options include: cruiseline transfer, HERTZ rental car, Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Bus Lines, and several independent transfer companies like alaskacruisetransfer.com that offer a straight transfer or a narrated tour with stops.

Seward Cruise Transfers by Train

Passengers cruising southbound from Seward to Vancouver can take the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage at 6:45am and arrive in Seward at 11:05am. This is a great option if you want to explore Seward a bit, visit the Alaska SeaLife Center or even take a Kenai Fjords cruise. If you are cruising northbound and disembarking in Seward the scheduled Alaska Railroad train departs at 6:00pm and arrives in Anchorage at 10:15pm. Again, this is a good option if you are looking to spend the day in Seward. Many cruise lines offer private train options in both directions as well. Whether you are cruising northbound or southbound, if you have the time, consider spending at least one night in Seward before or after your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

We arrived in Anchorage, stayed the night, and took the train down at 6am. It arrives at 11am.

That was a great option, because it gave us time in case we missed a connection, plus the train is an amazing experience. By far, one of the best elements of the trip. It's narrated by people in each car, and they slow it down when bear and moose are spotted, so you can photograph them. There's dining onboard, at reasonable travel prices. Options ranged from reindeer sausage breakfast burritos to cinnamon rolls the size of a plate. And decent coffee.

We found the railroad was quite attentive to everyone, pointing out the famous views and naming each glacier as we passed it, encouraging us to go to one side or another to see the most. And they took care of our luggage transfer for us. We were staying at a hotel in Seward the night before the cruise, and it arrived at the hotel directly. We were able to get off the train and start exploring the town without being weighed down with luggage. Once we dropped it in the bin before we boarded, we didn't have to think about it.

We arrived in Anchorage, stayed the night, and took the train down at 6am. It arrives at 11am.

That was a great option, because it gave us time in case we missed a connection, plus the train is an amazing experience. By far, one of the best elements of the trip. It's narrated by people in each car, and they slow it down when bear and moose are spotted, so you can photograph them. There's dining onboard, at reasonable travel prices. Options ranged from reindeer sausage breakfast burritos to cinnamon rolls the size of a plate. And decent coffee.

We found the railroad was quite attentive to everyone, pointing out the famous views and naming each glacier as we passed it, encouraging us to go to one side or another to see the most. And they took care of our luggage transfer for us. We were staying at a hotel in Seward the night before the cruise, and it arrived at the hotel directly. We were able to get off the train and start exploring the town without being weighed down with luggage. Once we dropped it in the bin before we boarded, we didn't have to think about it.

Where did you stay in Anchorage? We could either stay there or take the afternoon transfer if we had an A.M. flight. Not sure if there's much to see in Anchorage.

We did the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic train to Seward. Your cruise line may offer a train excursion to the ship, but going through Alaska Railroad is generally cheaper.

Here is a link to the review I wrote from our Southbound cruise from Seward on the NCL Sun. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089 The first few pages can give you some great ideas.

I'd suggest some more thinking? This transfer day can have "more" depending on interests. IF it is getting on the ship day. I never recommend any rush to get on the ship (many people do). There are numerous highlights you can add in Seward. and it's a shame to just pass through this area.

Many of the ship transfers leave Anchorage too early and arrive in Seward too late for any additional touring in either area. Determine if you wish to take advantage of being in Alaska, or it doesn't matter to you.

I happen to never get on any ship out of Seward before 6 pm. Perfectly fine with me.

We did the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic train to Seward. Your cruise line may offer a train excursion to the ship, but going through Alaska Railroad is generally cheaper.

Here is a link to the review I wrote from our Southbound cruise from Seward on the NCL Sun. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089 The first few pages can give you some great ideas.

Great review and pictures. Thank you for sharing.

I'd suggest some more thinking? This transfer day can have "more" depending on interests. IF it is getting on the ship day. I never recommend any rush to get on the ship (many people do). There are numerous highlights you can add in Seward. and it's a shame to just pass through this area.

Many of the ship transfers leave Anchorage too early and arrive in Seward too late for any additional touring in either area. Determine if you wish to take advantage of being in Alaska, or it doesn't matter to you.

I happen to never get on any ship out of Seward before 6 pm. Perfectly fine with me.

Right now, plans are to fly in on the 31st. We don't sail until the 2nd. I was thinking we could check in and drop our bags off and leave the ship. We don't sail until 8:00 P.M. As long as we're back for the muster drill, I'm fine with that. Hoping to have at least one full day in Seward on the 1st.

Where did you stay in Anchorage? We could either stay there or take the afternoon transfer if we had an A.M. flight. Not sure if there's much to see in Anchorage.

We stayed at the Guesthouse Inn downtown. We didn't give Anchorage the time we should have. The hotel was functional, clean and unremarkable. And affordable. A few blocks from the mall and several places to eat within a few blocks. Close to the train, and at least last year had a shuttle to the train and airport.

We're getting to Anchorage on the 27th and taking the train down the morning of the 2nd for the same cruise you are on. Our situation is different though and we are visiting family for those first days. We'll be doing lots of short day trips from Anchorage in the morning and spending the evenings with the family.

Could you please tell me where you rented your car from andnthe daily cost? We're thinking od car rental.

Could you please tell me where you rented your car from andnthe daily cost? We're thinking od car rental.

We were driven around by my sister, who lives in Anchorage. So we were lucky that we didn't have to rent a car. Also she knew were to go, so we maximized our time there.

as I posted above, HERTZ is your car rental option. It's the only vendor in Seward,

We decided to stay in Anchorage. Rental prices look reasonable on Air Alaska's site and we can pick the car up at the airport. We can drive the highway, visit Seward and drive back to Anchorage.

I've had great rates from Enterprise on Int'l Airport Dr. BUT I make the reservation a yr in advance when they run their summer special, and I rent for a week or more. Last yr the weekly rate was about $150. The office is only a 5 minute cab ride from the airport,

Rental prices are all over the place and fluctuate constantly. Make a reservation now for the best price and then check all the sites frequently to look for a better deal.