What to do in LA before cruising out of San Pedro?

cruiseintoheaven

I looked at staying in Long Beach - decided on Santa Monica for a few reasons but can reconsider if LB is more centrally located to other LA attractions - kind of figured Santa Monica had the edge if we didn't have a car.....hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Long Beach is Now where near a better location than Santa Monica. No Brainier, Santa Monica!

Don't need a car and much more to do and see.

If you do not have mobility problems, you can walk from the ship to the USS Iowa. Depending on your check-in time and your sailing time, you may be able to check in with Princess and then walk over to see the USS Iowa.

I walked to the USS Iowa from the ship with no problems. But I was on a B2B on turnaround day, so I had plenty of time to do so.

We checked in early in the day - 10.30-11am. Then went to the USS Iowa and went back to the ship. I am never in a rush to board the ship. See as much as I can in the port town. I will have lots of time on the ship!

Long Beach is Now where near a better location than Santa Monica. No Brainier, Santa Monica!

Don't need a car and much more to do and see.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It appears that the nice thing about the Leows is that it's truly on the ocean, and will be enjoyable regardless of the weather - pool if unseasonably warm, fire pits if cool. I think our biggest decision now is whether or not to rent a car or just consider Santa Monica homebase - 2.5 days will go fast in a new area. I would like to do some things that others have mentioned - I guess the upside to having a year to plan, is having a year to plan! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay with Loews. Great people watching in its restaurant, Shutters on the Beach (I've seen Pierce Brosnan, Gladys Knight, etc. during business lunches). From Santa Monica you can take the Metrolink to downtown LA, to Chinatown, even to Long Beach.

My 2 cents

Stay with Loews. Great people watching in its restaurant, Shutters on the Beach (I've seen Pierce Brosnan, Gladys Knight, etc. during business lunches). From Santa Monica you can take the Metrolink to downtown LA, to Chinatown, even to Long Beach.

My 2 cents

Good to know we can use the Metrolink to get around. To clarify, Shutters on the Beach is another hotel that has restaurants, not a restaurant inside Leows, correct? (I'm seeing only Ocean and Vine at Leows) which is fine - certainly many options in the area. [emoji4]

A few years ago we stayed overnight on the Queen Mary... Our room had the original bathroom fixtures and the porthole actually opened. It's not as up to date as the other hotels but was a fun experience for one night. And the museum under the ship was very interesting.

I was fortunate enough to "win" a free night at the Queen Mary. She is in structural risk right now. I always thought they should have turned her into a cruise on land experience with all the options of being on a cruise ship, but not going anywhere (much like a sea day). My concept never flew with the higher uppers. That being said:

Staying at the Queen Mary can be fun. Staying in Long Beach gives you access to the BlueLine that will take you anywhere/connecting through Union Station LA.

A few years ago we stayed overnight on the Queen Mary... Our room had the original bathroom fixtures and the porthole actually opened. It's not as up to date as the other hotels but was a fun experience for one night. And the museum under the ship was very interesting.

I'm sure it would be interesting to actually stay on her, though I think 3 nights might test my limits in terms of creature comforts. We do plan to visit/tour though.

I was fortunate enough to "win" a free night at the Queen Mary. She is in structural risk right now. I always thought they should have turned her into a cruise on land experience with all the options of being on a cruise ship, but not going anywhere (much like a sea day). My concept never flew with the higher uppers. That being said:

Staying at the Queen Mary can be fun. Staying in Long Beach gives you access to the BlueLine that will take you anywhere/connecting through Union Station LA.

Well, I hope we are able to visit or do a tour next March - time will tell. I like the idea of having access to larger areas of LA and haven't ruled out staying in Long Beach. Having said that, the proximity of Leows in Santa Monica to the beach and local attractions is a huge draw for us. Aside from the muddy banks of the Ohio, we are land locked so any chance to be in, on, near the sea has tremendous appeal - probably why I fell in love with cruising!

From where you are you could, easily, take an Uber/Lyft to Culver City for a nice evening out. My DW and I had a free night and decided to give it a try. We had a very nice dinner at a place called "Meet in Paris French Bistro" and finished the evening at the Culver Hotel a couple blocks away listening to swing music. Nice area with many eateries and the entertainment was fun. :)

I'm sure it would be interesting to actually stay on her, though I think 3 nights might test my limits in terms of creature comforts. We do plan to visit/tour though.

I stayed on the QM one night for a convention but there wasn't enough to see to want to go again. A tour shows the highlights of this historical ship & we found the overpriced food wasn't very good.

That was merely our experience but I agree that staying there 3 nights wouldn't be for us either. Being an old oceanliner the cabins aren't fancy & there is only a porthole with an "ocean view" cabin.

Have traveled many times to Long Beach on the Blue line. Not for the faint of heart as it goes thru some of the toughest neighborhoods in Los Angeles, Compton, Watts, South Central. We do not travel on it at night. Have never been bothered, though we have had a few very 'urban' experiences.

The expanded Expo line travels from a few blocks from the Santa Monica Pier thru Culver City to the 7th Street Metro station (same with the Blue line). Can take the Purple or Red lines to Union Station. (Olvera Street, China Town, Philippe's, love their mustard). The Red Line continues onto Universal City.

Metro.net.

Senior fares--- need to arrange for a senior card. Mom had to wait almost two months to receive hers.

We went to the California Science Center. Really enjoyed it. Large Science Center, west of downtown. Mostly free even, except for the Space Shuttle Endeavour building (which was $2 each). Also had a tour of Paramount Studios. It was good but expensive. Stayed in Manhattan beach, between cruise terminal and airport.

From where you are you could, easily, take an Uber/Lyft to Culver City for a nice evening out. My DW and I had a free night and decided to give it a try. We had a very nice dinner at a place called "Meet in Paris French Bistro" and finished the evening at the Culver Hotel a couple blocks away listening to swing music. Nice area with many eateries and the entertainment was fun. :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I've definitely gone from how to kill 2.5 days in LA to how to do and see everything I think DH and I might like, good problem to have.

We went to the California Science Center. Really enjoyed it. Large Science Center, west of downtown. Mostly free even, except for the Space Shuttle Endeavour building (which was $2 each). Also had a tour of Paramount Studios. It was good but expensive. Stayed in Manhattan beach, between cruise terminal and airport.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions - both of those sound interesting.

Have traveled many times to Long Beach on the Blue line. Not for the faint of heart as it goes thru some of the toughest neighborhoods in Los Angeles, Compton, Watts, South Central. We do not travel on it at night. Have never been bothered, though we have had a few very 'urban' experiences.

The expanded Expo line travels from a few blocks from the Santa Monica Pier thru Culver City to the 7th Street Metro station (same with the Blue line). Can take the Purple or Red lines to Union Station. (Olvera Street, China Town, Philippe's, love their mustard). The Red Line continues onto Universal City.

Metro.net.

Senior fares--- need to arrange for a senior card. Mom had to wait almost two months to receive hers.

I will definitely have to do my homework on the public transit options if we don't get a car so I appreciate the reply. [emoji4]

I stayed on the QM one night for a convention but there wasn't enough to see to want to go again. A tour shows the highlights of this historical ship & we found the overpriced food wasn't very good.

That was merely our experience but I agree that staying there 3 nights wouldn't be for us either. Being an old oceanliner the cabins aren't fancy & there is only a porthole with an "ocean view" cabin.

Yes, I imagine a few hours is enough - would you recommend the tour or save the time/$ for something else?

I will definitely have to do my homework on the public transit options if we don't get a car so I appreciate the reply. [emoji4]

Can also take one of the lines to the science and natural history museums. The Space Shuttle is at the Space museum.

We won't be staying in LA but will be staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro the night before our next cruise. We won't need to find things to do as the San Pedro Brewing Company is within walking distance of the hotel. Good beer. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....... Now that is a great pre-cruise "excursion"! :hearteyes::cool::D

We won't be staying in LA but will be staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro the night before our next cruise. We won't need to find things to do as the San Pedro Brewing Company is within walking distance of the hotel. Good beer. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....... Now that is a great pre-cruise "excursion"! :hearteyes::cool::D

We enjoyed our "excursion" to the SP Brewing Company during our January overnight stay at the CP before sailing the Star to Hawaii.

One or both of our children have lived in Santa Monica since 2009 and we have visited them often as we live about two hours east. There are great dining options and you can walk or ride a bike for miles along the Ocean. We have also stayed overnight in Long Beach. It is nice for a day but as others have posted, Santa Monica is the much better option. We haven't taken the Expo line but there is a stop at the California Science Center.

They are working on an extension of the Expo line to take you to Union Station but for now you need to transfer to the Red or Purple lines. You can also take the Red line the other direction to Hollywood. The Red line subway stations all have unique designs at each station with the Hollywood and Vine station having a movie theme. From Union Station you could also take the Gold line to Pasadena.

We enjoyed our "excursion" to the SP Brewing Company during our January overnight stay at the CP before sailing the Star to Hawaii.

Haha......I so wish I'd develop a love of beer - the breweries and brewpubs are so much fun. I'll have a cold beer maybe a few times in the summer on a hot day - but I'm pretty much a wine girl - oh well....

One or both of our children have lived in Santa Monica since 2009 and we have visited them often as we live about two hours east. There are great dining options and you can walk or ride a bike for miles along the Ocean. We have also stayed overnight in Long Beach. It is nice for a day but as others have posted, Santa Monica is the much better option. We haven't taken the Expo line but there is a stop at the California Science Center.

They are working on an extension of the Expo line to take you to Union Station but for now you need to transfer to the Red or Purple lines. You can also take the Red line the other direction to Hollywood. The Red line subway stations all have unique designs at each station with the Hollywood and Vine station having a movie theme. From Union Station you could also take the Gold line to Pasadena.

Thanks so much for the reply - I'm really looking forward to the miles of beach to walk or bike, and we'll study up on the transit system.

Haha......I so wish I'd develop a love of beer - the breweries and brewpubs are so much fun. I'll have a cold beer maybe a few times in the summer on a hot day - but I'm pretty much a wine girl - oh well....

In Maui it's always summer so an ice cold Maui Brewing Bikini Blonde microbrew is my alcoholic beverage of choice. ;)

In Maui it's always summer so an ice cold Maui Brewing Bikini Blonde microbrew is my alcoholic beverage of choice. ;)

Oooooh......super envious - DH has bern many tines on business - haven't made it there yet myself, so just rub it in:) [emoji560]