GoPro on Princess

Anyone happen to know what the current price Princess has the GoPro Hero5 Black selling for? We are heading off on the Golden in a couple of weeks and wondering if the price onboard is competitive?

Pretty sure it was $499 on Emerald in December

After drowning and defuncting a cam-corder on a recent sailing trip, we just bought a G.P5 black,(not a session)from h norman for $428, with loads of goodies, 32 g sd card, selfie stick, plus some other worthless junk that we will break.

Good deal I thought. MMhhh :)

After drowning and defuncting a cam-corder on a recent sailing trip, we just bought a G.P5 black,(not a session)from h norman for $428, with loads of goodies, 32 g sd card, selfie stick, plus some other worthless junk that we will break.

Good deal I thought. MMhhh :)

Sounds like a great deal, we have yet to go squeeze our local JB manager to see what price he can come up with.

If you have on board credit it may well be worth getting one. I have the Sony equivalent that I put in a diving case and use underwater in coral reefs as well as other adventure places I do not want to take my camera and they work very well. I think they are a handy camera to have and work well on large smart TV screens.

In case you don't realise, if you look for the best deal in Oz, you can claim back the GST (10%) on departure through the tourist refund scheme making the deal even better https://www.ausbt.com.au/community/view/30/4133/can-you-claim-the-trs-refund-at-the-overseas-passenger-terminal-in-sydney

I did this with an iphone purchased outright last time I travelled. You can also pool the allowance between family members - so the $900 limit becomes $1800 for a couple.

You just need time and the correct tax invoice that shows the GST

Edited by lucymorgan

If you are certain you want a GoPro Hero 5 then disregard the rest of this post.

I've got a SJ4000 (gopro copy) works just as well and shoots in full HD, I bought it a couple of years ago for around $60 and came with heaps of mounts and accessories.

I have just purchased a 4K version SJ8000 for $43, haven't got it yet but should be a step up from the SJ4000, it shoots at 4k @ 30 frames a sec.

There are many versions around, the important thing is video resolution and frames per second.

These may be suitable depending on what you want the camera for, if it's just to shoot some footage from your holidays etc then they would be just as good as a gopro.

Here's a link to some footage of The Conflict Islands, the stills are from an Iphone 5s and video footage is from the SJ4000 with no enhancement uploaded to youtube in 720p, it was shot in 1080p but for the upload 720p was a smaller file size but you can see what sort of footage these cheap cameras shoot.

Most of the footage you see at a GoPro stand is enhanced in post production to make it look better than it really is.

I used to work in Film & TV post production and it's amazing what you can do with just some ordinary looking footage.

Nice photography.

If you are certain you want a GoPro Hero 5 then disregard the rest of this post.

I've got a SJ4000 (gopro copy) works just as well and shoots in full HD, I bought it a couple of years ago for around $60 and came with heaps of mounts and accessories.

I have just purchased a 4K version SJ8000 for $43, haven't got it yet but should be a step up from the SJ4000, it shoots at 4k @ 30 frames a sec.

There are many versions around, the important thing is video resolution and frames per second.

These may be suitable depending on what you want the camera for, if it's just to shoot some footage from your holidays etc then they would be just as good as a gopro.

Here's a link to some footage of The Conflict Islands, the stills are from an Iphone 5s and video footage is from the SJ4000 with no enhancement uploaded to youtube in 720p, it was shot in 1080p but for the upload 720p was a smaller file size but you can see what sort of footage these cheap cameras shoot.

Most of the footage you see at a GoPro stand is enhanced in post production to make it look better than it really is.

I used to work in Film & TV post production and it's amazing what you can do with just some ordinary looking footage.

Certainly not tied to a brand, just after something easy to use in multiple applications that is small and waterproof (had enough carrying stuff around these days). The GoPro fits the bill nicely even though it really isn't the best tool for all applications, if we find a decent price we would probably get one outside of a cruise but as others have mentioned OBC is the most likely candidate for purchasing one.