Avocado fiesta guacamole class?

Rowtyd

I know I recently read a review of someone who did....possibly a review from the FOS (since those are the ones I read the most) if I remember correctly, I believe they enjoyed the class...I recall they were given a tool to take home but that's about all I recall....hope you can find the review....

I make GREAT guacamole, and I'll save you $30. Just buy these items, chop them up and mush them together. This makes a small quantity; it doesn't save well.

1 ripe (soft) avocado -- cut it first, put it in a medium-sized bowl -- you don't need a special tool; just use a knife

1 lime -- squeeze it over the avocado pieces and mush them together; the citric acid keeps the avocados from turning dark -- do this before adding the remaining items

2 scallions -- you can use a bit of onion, but the scallions are a milder flavor that melds better with the other ingredients

2 jalapenos -- or, if you prefer a hotter guac, opt for a hotter pepper, but keep the quantity the same

1 clove garlic -- chop real stuff; do not use the jarred stuff from your 'fridge

1 Roma tomato -- save this 'til last 'cause it'll make a mess on your cutting board -- chop it into small-small pieces

Salt & Pepper to taste

• Like 1

No cilantro??????
I love cilantro, but -- no -- I don't use it in my guac.

I use lemon as opposed to lime...I really like the difference...
As long as you use the same quantity, you could sub in a lemon. Personally, I find lime more mild, but that's personal preference.

My guac contains as much chopped onion as I can get in there, when I have cilantro, I include but no biggy...the difference is the onion....that's the way they make it at Isla Passion in Cozumel, my favorite guacamole of all time and I've been making it for 55 years. But after having theirs about 10 yrs ago, there was no turning back...course it helped to have their chips fried in lard...mmmmmmm! They use limes of course...but I do either...BTW, I use a potato masher, much quicker and better.

Oh and I never put tomatoes in it...tomatoes are for salsa...but whatever floats your boat.

My guac contains as much chopped onion as I can get in there, when I have cilantro, I include but no biggy...the difference is the onion....that's the way they make it at Isla Passion in Cozumel, my favorite guacamole of all time and I've been making it for 55 years. But after having theirs about 10 yrs ago, there was no turning back...course it helped to have their chips fried in lard...mmmmmmm! They use limes of course...but I do either...BTW, I use a potato masher, much quicker and better.

Oh and I never put tomatoes in it...tomatoes are for salsa...but whatever floats your boat.

I also use a potato masher. I soak red onion in some lime juice and salt, then add jalapeño, cilantro, and then the avocado, then mash. My kids love it, plus they love avocado alone, so we buy them by the bag, and always have to make quac at some point, since all of them ripen around the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I make really good guac too! But the class (at least on Harmony) includes tequila tasting, lunch at Sabor and 1 adult beverage. I think it sounds fun, and maybe I will learn a new trick to add to my guac!

From the website:

Become a green, mean guacamole machine and observe the step-by-step process of preparing this renowned avocado-based staple just like we do at Sabor. Then enjoy an authentic lunch paired with a margarita or Mexican beer.

• Watch the step-by-step preparation and secrets in making authentic Guacamole.
  • You will also enjoy a sip of three Tequilas to gain knowledge of their history and how they can be infused into our signature Margaritas.
  • At lunch time experience the fresh made Guacamole, Salsa's and a Chef selected lunch menu featuring Sabor's most popular dishes. Buen Provecho!

All that for $30 and lunch at Sabor, full lunch or a certain menu they give you?

MrsPete lol lol that was funny and that is a similar recipe that I use only I don't use scallions but will try that next time, I use finely chopped red onion and sometimes I put a dash or two of hot sauce....no cilantro, doesn't belong in guacamole.

Anyone taken the avocado fiesta guacamole class in Sabor? Worth the $30?

I took the class on the Freedom in February. DEFINITELY worth it for us. We were given a full lunch, an avocado tool which they sold for either $20 or $25 (I haven't tried it yet but my sister did and said it works great) AND lots of margaritas. Plus we got a souvenir glass. I would definitely do it again.

No cilantro??????

I put cilantro in mine!

I also wouldn't jump right in with 2 jalapenos in that amount of guac. Most of the time I can

only get away with about 1/2 a jalapeno or DW won't eat it. She doesn't tolerate spicy food.

Some people won't add the garlic or tomato either.

I prefer the garlic, and can take or leave the tomato if they're store bought.

Sorry OP, I didn't even know about this class and haven't taken it.

$30 seems like a bit much but if it includes margaritas while you make the guacamole then maybe.....

I took the class on the Freedom in February. DEFINITELY worth it for us. We were given a full lunch, an avocado tool which they sold for either $20 or $25 (I haven't tried it yet but my sister did and said it works great) AND lots of margaritas. Plus we got a souvenir glass. I would definitely do it again.

Wow sounds great value to me. Lunch,

the gadget and booze tasting!

Count me in!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

We did the class on the Harmony two weeks ago and we recommend it. Not only do you get to learn, as well as taste as much as you want, different flavors of guacamole , it included the complete menu selection for dinner as well as we had two made to order jalapeno cucumber margaritas included.

BTW, I use a potato masher, much quicker and better.
I don't know why I never considered a potato masher. Of course, the #1 thing that makes it easy to mash is having RIPE avocados.

I put cilantro in mine ... wouldn't jump right in with 2 jalapenos ... Some people won't add the garlic or tomato either ...
Guacamole is one of those recipes that's very flexible and can be altered to your own taste. Personally, hearing other people say what they like, I'm thinking of subbing in red onion in place of my scallions.

Wow sounds great value to me. Lunch,

the gadget and booze tasting!

Count me in!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

I would definitely do it again. Here are pictures of the souvenir glasses we were given (one per person). They are color changing glasses. The other picture shows the other margarita we were given (minus the glass). They came around to refill (or top off) the souvenir glass several times. :D (Small glass was just water.)

margarita1.JPG.58a8198d4cef7766f8843404cf91c5ba.JPG

margarita2.JPG.410781b3b8d70e836f963aefc0d8a32d.JPG

I don't know why I never considered a potato masher. Of course, the #1 thing that makes it easy to mash is having RIPE avocados.

Guacamole is one of those recipes that's very flexible and can be altered to your own taste. Personally, hearing other people say what they like, I'm thinking of subbing in red onion in place of my scallions.

I like using onions because they give it some texture. Red ones will give it some color too. I like my guac a little chunkier, otherwise it looks like pureed baby food (or imagine something grosser- I am not going to go there). I agree that ripe avocados are key. I usually mash with a spoon, but again, I don't mind if its chunky.

I have never used real garlic. Maybe I will try one of these days. Garlic is one of those take it or leave it things in guac for me. I also usually leave out the jalapeno all together, as my family is not big on the heat. Sometimes I will put one or two finely sliced picked jalapeno slices in it. IMO, the key is good rice avocado and fresh lime and salt. The other things are complements.

We did the class on the Harmony two weeks ago and we recommend it. Not only do you get to learn, as well as taste as much as you want, different flavors of guacamole , it included the complete menu selection for dinner as well as we had two made to order jalapeno cucumber margaritas included.

How long did it take? Cruise Planner shows that it starts at 11:00 and lasts an hour. We need to get our daughter at noon from the kids club when the session closes. Not sure we would have enough time for the class and the lunch. Thoughts?

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, emen822 said:

I would definitely do it again. Here are pictures of the souvenir glasses we were given (one per person). They are color changing glasses. The other picture shows the other margarita we were given (minus the glass). They came around to refill (or top off) the souvenir glass several times. 😄 (Small glass was just water.)

margarita1.JPG.58a8198d4cef7766f8843404cf91c5ba.JPG

margarita2.JPG.410781b3b8d70e836f963aefc0d8a32d.JPG

Which ship were you on? I was looking at maybe doing this on Liberty of the seas. Was wondering if they all give out free souvenir cups? I saw someone else say the also got a free avocado tool.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, Julia429 said:

Which ship were you on? I was looking at maybe doing this on Liberty of the seas. Was wondering if they all give out free souvenir cups? I saw someone else say the also got a free avocado tool.

We were on the Freedom.  I'll be on the Liberty in February and hope they have it again.  We also received the free avocado tool.

• Thanks 1