any hope for getting a non refundable deposit transferred to another sailing?

vacation fool

Along with a huge price drop on a sailing that I now am cancelling came the caveat that the deposit would become nonrefundable. I bear responsibility for that decision and whatever comes next. Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in this situation where the cruise line would be willing to transfer the deposit to a another sailing? Airlines do on their "nonrefundable" tickets so it was a thought. My travel agent says she is not having any luck getting someone who will work with her and is suggesting to me that I may have more power to deal with the cruise line even though i am booked with an agency. I have never heard such a thing and have always believed the opposite being true that the travel agent had more pull. All suggestions and experiences appreciated. Again-lesson learned and will never do another non refundable deposit. Thanks

As long as you are not beyond Final Payment it should be okay .

Beyond Final , forget about it !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently, however, according to an earlier thread, some promotions require a non-refundable deposit, which applies regardless of when the cruise is cancelled. I do not have personal experience with such a deposit, but hopefully others on this forum who do have such experience will chime in.

The cruiseline will not speak to you about your reservation, either before or after final payment, if you've booked with a travel agent. Your travel agent is not being honest with you and I can't believe they would tell you to try negotiating with HAL yourself.

A non-refundable deposit is just that. Sorry, but you have really no chance unless your travel agent is willing to go to bat for you and even then it likely won't happen.

Never had a problem moving a deposit from one cruise to another by just contacting our HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC).

But the question becomes, were your transferred deposits non-refundable? If not, there's no comparison.

OP, generally HAL has no such thing as "transferring" a deposit. They cancel one cruise, and book another cruise. The same money may (or in your case, may not) be involved, but it is two separate transactions.

That's an important distinction, since your deposit was non-refundable.

We have only done refundable deposits. We have cancelled one cruise and booked another several times. The deposits were credited back to my credit card for the cancelled cruise and the new deposits were made for the new cruise.

OP -- HAL is not going to deal with you -- HAL will tell you that since you booked through a TA -- that TA must handle everything for you.

Along with a huge price drop on a sailing that I now am cancelling came the caveat that the deposit would become nonrefundable. I bear responsibility for that decision and whatever comes next. Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in this situation where the cruise line would be willing to transfer the deposit to a another sailing? Airlines do on their "nonrefundable" tickets so it was a thought. My travel agent says she is not having any luck getting someone who will work with her and is suggesting to me that I may have more power to deal with the cruise line even though i am booked with an agency. I have never heard such a thing and have always believed the opposite being true that the travel agent had more pull. All suggestions and experiences appreciated. Again-lesson learned and will never do another non refundable deposit. Thanks

Unless you are a high roller on a particular airline they will not allow you to change your reservation for free. I have done this and the charge is $200 for each ticket.

I think the only chance you have of recovering your non-refundable deposit is through insurance, either cruise insurance, trip insurance or perhaps through your credit card benefits. Not even sure that a name change could be done if you had someone who could take your place.

Non-refundable deposits are becoming more common for extra-good deals. Cruise lines are money making operations. We enjoyed a cheap fare on a flash fare deal with non-refundable deposit once, but sometimes it just doesn't work out well. Sorry you are in this crunch. m--