Seniors: Get Your US National Parks Lifetime Pass Now Or Pay More Later

Eaglecw

I just found out that the cost of the Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass is going up to $80 in October from $10 that it is now. If you do not have a Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass and you are 62 years of age now would be a good time to get one.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/23/national-parks-lifetime-pass/

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/12/updated-price-senior-pass-going-80-buy-it-now-10

You can use the Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass to get into the visitors center at Mendenhall glacier and into the Forest Service Discovery Center in Ketchikan.

I just found out that the cost of the Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass is going up to $80 in October from $10 that it is now. If you do not have a Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass and you are 62 years of age now would be a good time to get one.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/23/national-parks-lifetime-pass/

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/12/updated-price-senior-pass-going-80-buy-it-now-10

You can use the Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass to get into the visitors center at Mendenhall glacier and into the Forest Service Discovery Center in Ketchikan.

Thank you for that info. I turn 62 just before the new pricing goes in effect!

My DH has had one for awhile. Do I need to get one or will his get both of us in? Thanks!

If I remember correctly the Ranger told us if one of us had the pass the spouse can get in also. But we decided to each get a pass.

I would call and ask for sure.

Edited by nasa1974

I just found out that the cost of the Senior Citizen Lifetime National Parks pass is going up to $80 in October from $10 that it is now.

Where did you find out that the increase was happening in October? Do you have an exact date? The articles that you linked to just said "soon".

The reason I am curious is because my husband turns 62 in mid-October and I turn 62 in early November. Sounds like we might be missing the opportunity to purchase the cheaper passes by just days!! :eek:

My DH has had one for awhile. Do I need to get one or will his get both of us in? Thanks!

Both may need one if in commercial vehicle. We will be taking a princess tour at Denali and can get a refund $10 if have the pass....but since a tour we both would need one.

Both may need one if in commercial vehicle. We will be taking a princess tour at Denali and can get a refund $10 if have the pass....but since a tour we both would need one.

Thank you! With the $$ we are spending this trip, I don't think $10 is going to break me! I'll be getting one for myself. Well worth it.

I will answer my own question that I posed earlier...

I just called the National Park Service who referred me to the U.S. Geological Service and they both told me that they anticipate the cost will increase in October, but that they don't know for sure. I will cross my fingers that the price change will be delayed enough that we can sneak in for the $10!

If I remember correctly the Ranger told us if one of us had the pass the spouse can get in also.
This is the way it works for us with wife's Access Pass (handicap pass) but since there might be times I want to go to a park with son and grandson to do hiking and since I'll turn 62 in August I might just decide to get one before they go up. Not that I mind donating to the parks - and frequently do in the donation boxes.

The passes also work in the National Forest areas that require a fee and you can get a special mirror hanger for them wherever you get them. We got ours at the North Cascades National Park office in Sedro-Woolley, WA.

October 1 is the beginning of the federal fiscal year isn't it?

Yes, it is.

Answer is on their web site. Look at the section called SENIOR PASS USE.

But basically, at sites where the entrance fee is charged by the vehicle, the pass covers 4 adults in the car/truck/rv.

Some sites chg by the person.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

When we go to parks with the kids or grandkids, my wife goes in 1 car and I go in another. Also, it only costs $10. If you are on CC and are going on cruises, you can afford another $10.

DON

After paying the yearly fee every year for the NPP we got the Senior Pass on Mr Indy's birthday last year at our local NP.

Such a great deal at $10 for lifetime but truth be told it will still be a great deal at $80 for lifetime. That is what a year pass costs now.

There are over 300 parks, monuments and preserves who honor this pass. We have also found quite a few state parks who accept it as an inter agency pass.

If you are disabled or military you can also get a discounted pass.

Never said I couldn't afford it! Take a look at post #10.:)

I was not specifically suggesting that you said that and I apologize. However, I volunteer at the desk at Red Rock National Conservation Area in Las Vegas. We get people coming to the desk who are driving large RVs who complain about $10 cost of the Senior Citizen pass. We also get people on CC who are on expensive cruises who complain about something that costs them only a few bucks.

I have a term that is called "roundoff error" which describes an item that costs $10 when the total cost of the trip is $8000. That $10 item is 0.13% of the total trip cost. We all know people who are like that.

DON