Power Strips, Surge Protectors, Charging Hubs

m8zenblue

Thanks for this response! I used extension cord last time no problem for a cpap. Was thinking about bringing the ever popular Belkin next time. Now i know better. :)

I used one last time on Disney cruise too, but after reading the CPAP thread here, I contacted Celebrity special need thru their website and told them I have a CPAP machine. They came back and told me extension cord and distill water will be provided for you for the cruise.

I used one last time on Disney cruise too, but after reading the CPAP thread here, I contacted Celebrity special need thru their website and told them I have a CPAP machine. They came back and told me extension cord and distill water will be provided for you for the cruise.

This is true. We requested an extension cord after ours was taken and the room steward came promptly with a very heavy duty one that worked perfectly. Just ask when your cabin steward introduces themselves to you at embarkation..

• 3 months later...

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I am new to the game and have a question I don't think has come up.

It is my understanding that one or more of the electrical outlets in the cabin (aqua class on Equinox) will be the 2 prong European style. So with all of the issues with power strips, surge supressos, etc. I was wondering if it is likely that a plug that fits the European style outlet and just has a usb ports would pass muster. Not specifically this one, but this style:

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Yubi-Power-Smartphones/dp/B00IOSOGYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499218641&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=european+usb+charger&psc=1

Thanks.

I wouldn't expect a problem with that, but if you're US-based, I'd probably look at a version with a US style plug and a E/F adapter. The 4-6 port versions by Andre, also on Amazon, work very well also. You just need the plug adapter.

With the US plug, you can use it ashore or at sea.

I wouldn't expect a problem with that, but if you're US-based, I'd probably look at a version with a US style plug and a E/F adapter. The 4-6 port versions by Andre, also on Amazon, work very well also. You just need the plug adapter.

With the US plug, you can use it ashore or at sea.

Thanks for the response. I actually have a 6 port hub (a Ravpower) I use at home, but I am nervous about bringing it because some of the posts in this, and other threads I've read, indicate a potential issue with using things that expand the number of outlets drawing on just one ship outlet. While I understand the main issue was with surge suppressors, which I don't think my hub has (2 prong plug), there seemed to be other issues involving expanding the number of outlets.

OTOH, my 6 port hub draws a maximum of 60 watts, so it is not like using a power strip to run a hair dryer, a shaver, and other plug in items off of a single ship outlet. I would guess that even at full use of all 6 ports on my hub I'll draw less power than the typical appliance that is plugged into one outlet, let alone several plugged into a power strip.

My thought with the one I linked to was that there were only 2 ports, no cords, and using an outlet I might not have otherwise used. And while only 2 usb ports is not ideal, it is doable.Maybe I should bring my hub AND get the other thing.

I understand the difficulties in retrofitting the cabins with more outlets, but there are a bugeoning number of devices people use that need charging. Wouldn't it make sense for Celebrity, the foremost technical experts on Celebrity cruise ships, to do some testing and provide at least a safe harbor list of specific devices that they know are safe, and that people can rely upon without worrying about getting their stuff disallowed at boarding?

I wonder if anyone has asked Celebrity directly if given device X is a) safe, and b) allowable? Or raised these issues at a meet and greet?

I hope we get some more activity in this thread. Lots of folks have been on cruises, since last this thread has been active, and it would be good to hear if/how these power device issues played out for them.

I'm also curious if there have been any issues with bringing one of those portable power bricks that has an internal battery that you charge, and then use to charge your phone or tablet. I know that the airlines require you to have them only in carry on and they cannot exceed a specific capacity, but I haven't seen anything about their use, or any restrictions, on cruise ships.

I'll save space by not quoting your post, but I'll answer your questions.

Many of the USB chargers available in the US will accept 220v as well as 110v, so just getting a plug adapter for your existing charger would work, and since the 220v outlet is on a separate circuit from the 110v outlets, you are not adding to the load on the 110v circuit. Also, for the same wattage output from your charger, using the 220v outlet reduces the current by half, so the current draw on the 220v circuit is even less.

With the multitude of products out there, and more coming every day, it just isn't feasible for any cruise line to make an "approved" list of electrical devices, and most wouldn't want to anyway for liability reasons. As for asking whether or not a device is safe and approved, this is a technical issue, so most you meet at meet and greets wouldn't know the answer, most shoreside wouldn't know either, and without a full specification sheet on the product, and/or a visual inspection, most of the shipboard engineers might have a problem. I've had difficulty getting straight answers from the manufacturers themselves while researching these items.

As to portable charging batteries, I don't see any problem with bringing or using one of these.

Thank you for four reply. I hope you don't mind a follow-up comment and a couple more questions.

The comment is that I just got a reply from Ravpower about their usb hubs:

"All our USB Chargers have surge protection, and from what we understand, they can also be used on cruise ships. Wishing you the best on your travels."

The first part of the reply tells me that I shouldn't bring it, irrespective of their understanding. Would you agree?

Any thoughts about my idea of using one of those simple plug devices that would plug into the European outlet and just provide a couple of usb ports? I could even get 2 of them (if they ARE ok), which would give me 4 usb ports while leaving the US type outlets free for other uses.

My main objective is not bringing anything on board that might, inadvertently, pose a risk to the ship or my fellow pax. Getting something taken away is small beans, by comparison.

Sure, if you want to buy something else, like the European adapter to a USB, then fine, they are perfectly safe. It's just that it is not needed. I have received the same responses from manufacturers, and when asked to see the circuit diagram of the surge protection circuitry, they either can't provide it, or start to hem and haw about what is involved. It also involves detailed descriptions of the ungrounded delta system of wiring used on ships before they understand the problem. They will claim surge protection, but even if they do, if there is no connection to the ground wire (i.e. no third prong on the plug) there is no danger when using the device on a ship.

Just think about the USB chargers that come with your phones and tablets. They are all two prong plugs, they cannot drop power to ground (though they will shunt from "hot" to "neutral" (though there is no "neutral" on a ship, just two hots) when voltage is too high, which is what they claim is surge protection), and the danger of surge protectors is that inadvertent grounds elsewhere on the ship will subject the surge protector to reverse voltages that it was not designed for, and cause a fire. So, again, it all comes down to the ground connection. Without a ground connection, there is no danger of causing a fire when using the device on a ship.

The only USB ports that I've seen that have actual surge protection are those that combine USB outlets with 110v power outlets.

Will something like this be able to be used onboard?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1499300949&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+charging+hub

It isn't a surge protector? I have traveled with it before however the new rules have me worried. I will have two cameras, a blow dryer a phone, iPad, kindle and fitbit to keep charged so I need as much access to outlets as possible.

Will something like this be able to be used onboard?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1499300949&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+charging+hub

It isn't a surge protector? I have traveled with it before however the new rules have me worried. I will have two cameras, a blow dryer a phone, iPad, kindle and fitbit to keep charged so I need as much access to outlets as possible.

Yes, this is fine. It has voltage regulation but not surge protection, regardless of what it says on Amazon.

Yes, this is fine. It has voltage regulation but not surge protection, regardless of what it says on Amazon.

Perfect. Carry on or luggage? I would prefer my stuff not get stuck in the naughty room but if it gets it to me that is fine!

Perfect. Carry on or luggage? I would prefer my stuff not get stuck in the naughty room but if it gets it to me that is fine!

Either, it depends on the cruise line, but none of them should have a problem with it.

I have read in several different threads about power strips, surge protectors, extension cords and charging hubs.

So, if there is anybody with first hand experience please enlighten me.

Yes, I have read the Celebrity policy, it says nothing about charging hubs or 3 way outlet adapters.

Thank you !

Brought a power strip on the Summit. Had it confiscated and had to do the walk of shame in order to get my luggage back.

chengkp75

Have followed many of your postings over the years and want to thank you for the time you take to explain your answers.

Will this be device be allowed on Celebrity/RCCL/Princess/HAL? From what I read in one answered question, it appears it is not surge protected. Am I correct?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDH5UBA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3DRCF69B9OBJU&colid=VM7LFGXZMJ8H

Thank you :D

chengkp75

Have followed many of your postings over the years and want to thank you for the time you take to explain your answers.

Will this be device be allowed on Celebrity/RCCL/Princess/HAL? From what I read in one answered question, it appears it is not surge protected. Am I correct?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDH5UBA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3DRCF69B9OBJU&colid=VM7LFGXZMJ8H

Thank you :D

While it is not surge protected, as the maker/seller states, and does have a three prong plug, it should be fine, except that I have heard that RCI is taking all power strips and extension cords, so the fact that this is corded may be a problem (I think the RCI confiscation is spotty in application depending on port.