Triumph..Tell Me Something Good

muffinbaby

I've been reading some reviews on the main page and have been hearing some mixed reviews from friends recently off Triumph. Smells of sewage? Boat continuously rocks more so than Elation? Dirty, old, etc.

Anyone recently off can ease my mind about our upcoming trip on the Triumph?

I just got off Triumph today.....I enjoyed it. I was on the Empress deck 7 in room 7351. I did smell an odd smell one night but it was on a lower floor like 4 or 5 I believe and it was on the last night of the cruise. Ship wasn't dirty or old. It was much nicer than the Elation ship I cruised on last year. Elation definitely rocked WAY more to the point that my sister wasn't able to enjoy our sister cruise.

I think it would be fun to see next step up before Conquest Class and Compare later to totally updated Sunshine if you want to do all. More than the Fantasy class to snoop around...I am sure it will be a steady good Carnival cruise with proper expectations.

I have been on a Fantasy and a Spirit class. It is fun to compare.

I've been reading some reviews on the main page and have been hearing some mixed reviews from friends recently off Triumph. Smells of sewage? Boat continuously rocks more so than Elation? Dirty, old, etc.

I was on Elation three times between 2014-2016. I was on Triumph last September and I was on Freedom in February. I saw little to no difference in smell, rocking or condition of the three ships. Triumph and Freedom are so similar, other than the fridge in my room and a couple extra venues, it was difficult to tell the difference between Triumph and Freedom. At times I thought I was back on Triumph while on Freedom. No major problems. I'd say the buffet lines are a little longer on Triumph but that's about it..I'm going on Triumph again in September.

We cruised March 27-April 1 and were pleased with the ship. I went hunting for this sewage issue as we stayed in 2441, starboard aft, where I never smelled this. Across the ship at port aft, I twice smelled this, faintly, but a third and fourth time I walked over there and there was no such smell. The aft elevators (between the main galley and Paris Dining Room) were a bit stale the entire cruise, and we rode them probably 40 times. It was an old food smell, but since you were never on the elevator longer than a couple of minutes, it was not a big deal. The mid and fore elevators did not have this issue.

The ship is very serviceable but it is not brand new and its style is '90's Cruise Glitz. Public spaces serve their purposes and they show some wear and tear. In the Rome lounge, for example (main showroom) it's clear they have been replacing the upholstery as needed with grungier seats next to brighter ones. They are keeping it in workable shape but not gutting it and starting over.

As everyone has mentioned, the staterooms are beige and a sort of coral orange with gold metallic trim, and the bathrooms are coral pink. Not the trendiest room I have ever spent the night in, but on the other hand our outside cabin felt larger than I expected, the sofa bed was made up into a comfy full for DD for the duration of the cruise (thought she was getting a twin rollaway), we had plenty of hot water and storage. The room stayed just cool enough by keeping our drapes closed all day and our vent fully open.

I feel strongly this is a case of getting what you pay for and feeling pretty darn good about it. I knew Carnival and this ship are not "Premium" cruise products but squarely for the blue collar crowd. If we wanted a newer ship, it would have cost more, and for my taste, would not have been worth it. From other reviews, it seems their shows have been the same for several years but we found them to be quite good.

My husband and daughter had never cruised and they were delighted. I have been on the Disney Magic and Celebrity Millennium (both more than 15 years ago when the ships were new) and, back in the day, Premier (Big Red Boat). The Triumph is larger than any of those and felt like it. It looked just like all the pictures so I knew what to expect. The only criticism I had, and it's pretty silly, is that trivia occasionally got too crowded in the capitol atrium, while public rooms like the Piano bar, Oxford Room and Hollywood nightclub were empty.

As a frequent cruiser I don't think you'll be disappointed. Everything was absolutely fine on this cruise. If you had been only on ultra-luxury cruises and suddenly decided to go budget, then yeah, this is not going to meet those expectations.

We cruised March 27-April 1 and were pleased with the ship. I went hunting for this sewage issue as we stayed in 2441, starboard aft, where I never smelled this. Across the ship at port aft, I twice smelled this, faintly, but a third and fourth time I walked over there and there was no such smell. The aft elevators (between the main galley and Paris Dining Room) were a bit stale the entire cruise, and we rode them probably 40 times. It was an old food smell, but since you were never on the elevator longer than a couple of minutes, it was not a big deal. The mid and fore elevators did not have this issue.

The ship is very serviceable but it is not brand new and its style is '90's Cruise Glitz. Public spaces serve their purposes and they show some wear and tear. In the Rome lounge, for example (main showroom) it's clear they have been replacing the upholstery as needed with grungier seats next to brighter ones. They are keeping it in workable shape but not gutting it and starting over.

As everyone has mentioned, the staterooms are beige and a sort of coral orange with gold metallic trim, and the bathrooms are coral pink. Not the trendiest room I have ever spent the night in, but on the other hand our outside cabin felt larger than I expected, the sofa bed was made up into a comfy full for DD for the duration of the cruise (thought she was getting a twin rollaway), we had plenty of hot water and storage. The room stayed just cool enough by keeping our drapes closed all day and our vent fully open.

I feel strongly this is a case of getting what you pay for and feeling pretty darn good about it. I knew Carnival and this ship are not "Premium" cruise products but squarely for the blue collar crowd. If we wanted a newer ship, it would have cost more, and for my taste, would not have been worth it. From other reviews, it seems their shows have been the same for several years but we found them to be quite good.

My husband and daughter had never cruised and they were delighted. I have been on the Disney Magic and Celebrity Millennium (both more than 15 years ago when the ships were new) and, back in the day, Premier (Big Red Boat). The Triumph is larger than any of those and felt like it. It looked just like all the pictures so I knew what to expect. The only criticism I had, and it's pretty silly, is that trivia occasionally got too crowded in the capitol atrium, while public rooms like the Piano bar, Oxford Room and Hollywood nightclub were empty.

As a frequent cruiser I don't think you'll be disappointed. Everything was absolutely fine on this cruise. If you had been only on ultra-luxury cruises and suddenly decided to go budget, then yeah, this is not going to meet those expectations.

I'll second what you said on Trivia. I'm a frequent trivia player but only played once on Triumph because the atrium bar was always packed...most of the time with people who weren't playing trivia.

Great mini review, we were on the same sailing.

We had 2266 and the drain in the bathroom backed up twice and there was a slight smell and we were not even in the bath at the time. Not a big deal and was fixed very quickly.

Debarkation was a breeze, we did the self assist and were in our car by 8:15 and we were not trying to be the first off the ship.