First and probably last cruise with Princess

Jsim2011

You should go back to Royal Caribbean then....

That was rude. People have a right to express their opinions objectively. The OP pointed out that some of the opinions were based on personal tastes.

Odd. The Royal Princess just became one of our favorite ships (28 cruises).

Many people just don't like change, and yes some features are different. But the overall experience for us was very positive, and looking at future cruises, my wife's eyes brighten when the Royal Princess is one of the possibilities. I'm pretty sure we'll be back on her again.

Hmmm because I do not like ship ,

I do not like change?

Yes it's true that a person could force the issue but it's something that most people wouldn't do (at least I wouldn't). They're trying to get cleaned up at that time & showing up at the last minute only adds to their work load. I try to make things as easy as possible for all the crew no matter what their job.

Guess I just see it differently.

Say what??????...the MDR is open until 9 am to be seated for breakfast..its Princess's policy and I would have raised hell cause we hate the buffet and refuse to eat there...its not a pax job "to make things easier" for the crew, Princess has rules and policies for everything and being seated for breakfast at 8 59:59 is one of them....

Edited by SheriffJoe

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the food or some of the entertainment. Princess has become my absolute favorite cruise line (it used to be Celebrity, but they are boring ships now IMO). I've done Holland America several times and unless you eat in the specialty restaurant, the food is mediocre. It's edible, but nothing to write home about. In fact, some days I ate the same things from the Taco bar by the pool. Very limited selection on Holland. Entertainment on Holland was dull too. I love the classical music and trivia but the rest of the time I was pretty bored (had to make my own fun). Royal Caribbean has decent food, but it's the only cruise ship I got ill on, and I'm pretty sure it was from the hamburger I had the first day at the pool. It could have been noro or food poisoning. I'm not boycotting RC but Princess really places a premium on hygiene. Love the hand washing stations by the buffet. Great idea! I've done Norwegian and it is fun (I'm doing them soon) but Princess is in a class by itself IMO. The classical music, the daily games, music in the lounges, the movies by the pool. I miss Princess already! If they were doing Bermuda I'd be doing them instead of Norwegian.

Say what??????...the MDR is open until 9 am to be seated for breakfast..its Princess's policy and I would have raised hell cause we hate the buffet and refuse to eat there...its not a pax job "to make things easier" for the crew, Princess has rules and policies for everything and being seated for breakfast at 8 59:59 is one of them....

You are absolutely correct and you should arrive at the last second every day.

You've paid your money & you're entitled to it.

Make sure your watch is synced to ship time....exactly.

I think that folks usually have a cruise line that is their favorite and when they go on any other line, they go in with a pre-established idea that this cruise will not be as good as my favorite line. Our favorite cruise line is Princess and when we've tried other cruise lines I constantly find myself comparing the ship I'm sailing on with a Princess ship and always wish I was back on a good old Princess ship. I just feel comfortable with Princess. This has happened with me when sailing on both NCL and Disney. On the other hand we have friends who's first cruise (and just about every other one) was on Disney and they didn't really care for Princess. I don't know if it's brand loyalty or what. That is why I'm hesitate to try anything but Princess. On the other hand my wife keeps talking about sailing on one of the "big" RCI ships. The more I've thought about it, I just don't think I want to be on a ship that big. To each his own.

You are absolutely correct and you should arrive at the last second every day.

You've paid your money & you're entitled to it.

Make sure your watch is synced to ship time....exactly.

Really? "You should arrive at the last second every day?" Rather tactless I'd say. If it happens on occasion, fine, but to "plan" it that way is just plain RUDE!

Really? "You should arrive at the last second every day?" Rather tactless I'd say. If it happens on occasion, fine, but to "plan" it that way is just plain RUDE!

Not me, SheriffJoe.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come through in my post.:D

I would never put any crew member out to work OT for my benefit. They've got enough on their plate as it is and showing up at the last second is insulting to say the least. Even if it were a once in a while occasion I would just go to the buffet & serve myself.

Just back from our first cruise with Princess, (Royal Princess).

Have to say we were disappointed, maybe our expectations were too high as I had previously heard and read good things about Princess.

The food wasn't as good as I was expecting, although I realize that tastes are different. My husband and I both enjoy cooking, and we enjoy good food. We did have one or two really good entrees (we both liked the Curtis Stone fish stew), but there were more dishes that just didn't pass the taste test. Desserts were especially disappointing, not much choice, in fact most nights I passed on dessert. I did try the soufflé as it is a favorite of mine, but on two occasions it was almost scrambled egg, the third time on the menu though, it was good.

We were surprised to find that the dining room closed for breakfast by 9am, we turned up at 8.55am and told we had to go to the buffet. The bacon at the buffet was cold each day I tried it so I opted for freshly made omelet and that was good.

We did enjoy the food in Alfedo's

We tried the pub lunch one day, opting or fish and chips, it was without doubt the worse fish and chips we have ever tried. The fish was gray and rubbery instead of white and flakey.

I know that there will be people that disagree, to each their own.

The crew were lovely, nothing but praise for just about everyone we encountered.

The photographers were great, paid a lot of attention to detail when taking photos (not all cruise photographers do).

The entertainment was hit and miss (again, like food, this is subjective). What we enjoy, others might not.

We did like the Movies under the Stars,

We enjoyed the itinerary, especially Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Curacao.

Overall, we enjoyed our vacation (after all, we were on vacation, and whatever the circumstance, we make the best of it). Met some lovely people, saw some beautiful places, and had some great experiences.

Princess though is not for us.

This is not to say there is anything drastically wrong, just different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Shame the cusine on Royal did not meet your expectations. DW and I sailed on Royal last year and found the cusine fine, not exceptional. We are careful what we eat. No sugar, no fatty fried foods, avoid eating too much red meat, avoid too much sugary deserts, and eat in moderation.

Since you and DH are foodies, have you considered a cruise on Oceania, Regent, Azamara, Silverseas, or other luxury cruise line? Where there are fewer PAX, and kitchens give more attention to food preparation? That's what we are doing, sailing on Oceania to Cuba in 2018. Most reviews I have read about Oceania's cusine are excellent with , as usual , a few complaints. Of course, one person's steak in another person"s poison. Yes? YMMV. ;)

Happy cruising. And better luck next time.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

Oceania has good food and an exceptional 4pm afternoon tea with String Quartet and LOTS of desserts- an entire buffet. We loved going to that. Otherwise the ships are boring, very little entertainment, and I felt a lot of motion, especially in the specialty restaurants. It was a nice family vacation, but I won't be sailing them again. If it's a port intensive cruise, the smaller ships go to better ports and getting on and off is easy.

well if food makes you to give up cruising with one of the many companies,well,better stay at home.... Is not about food, cruise is all about experience,travel,great fun and meeting new people! Not only eat,eat,eat,eat! Fact, i don't like Pizza on open deck area,they call it "Best Pizza on 7 seas" , i call it "Best no-pizza on seven seas! And burgers as well... But other things are so delicious and tasty!

Thanks, I probably will. No need for snark. I tried to give an honest and fair opinion. As I said, we all have different tastes.

I thought your comments were well thought out and you expressed your opinion quite well. No need for flaming here.

Hmmm because I do not like ship ,

I do not like change?

That's what most of the posts in this thread are about: something is different than what one considers "normal" or "usual". So, if one does not like a ship, then ask "what is it about the ship that I don't like?" For instance, many people cite the lack of a full external promenade deck to be an issue - it is a change. I had read with trepidation many of the reviews of the Royal Princess stating this or that feature was different - then we took a cruise on the ship and loved the cruise.

I understand people have different tastes and preferences. So be it.

It is a vacation, and we can choose to enjoy it or to be bothered by differences and expectations, and roll with the punches when a crew member has an off day.

That's what most of the posts in this thread are about: something is different than what one considers "normal" or "usual". So, if one does not like a ship, then ask "what is it about the ship that I don't like?" For instance, many people cite the lack of a full external promenade deck to be an issue - it is a change. I had read with trepidation many of the reviews of the Royal Princess stating this or that feature was different - then we took a cruise on the ship and loved the cruise.

I understand people have different tastes and preferences. So be it.

It is a vacation, and we can choose to enjoy it or to be bothered by differences and expectations, and roll with the punches when a crew member has an off day.

Hi Times Prince;52836323

I hear you and understand what you are saying...I did roll with the punches. My only expectation was getting away from work and daily

grind. An olive and a bit of celery in my Bloody Mary would have been nice ...but hey I rolled with the punches!

Where as on other ships ,crew goes out of their way to make your day. On this trip/ship it was " sorry" can not do, or make ??? Maybe new crew or management issue.

For me on this ship, it was just a feeling........... The crew with a few exceptions were not happy we were there. I work with public also and some days you just need to put on your game face, after all we are being payed to provide a service.

Did any of this ruin my vacation....no of course not! Will I be hurrying back to Royal Princess, NO. Canceled a cruise for next November, on Royal Princess.

Jewel of the seas coming up next .....my other favorite Cruise line! :)

Edited by Reader0108598

Sheriff Joe, I assure you, if you go to the buffet on the Regal, you will change your mind.

Yours truly,

The Aqua Snob [emoji81]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand that when you are on vacation you want everything perfect. But unfortunately, that's very rarely possibly. Just relax and enjoy the ride! If you spend your time nitpicking everything that was wrong you won't appreciate the things that were amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not me, SheriffJoe.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come through in my post.:D

I would never put any crew member out to work OT for my benefit. They've got enough on their plate as it is and showing up at the last second is insulting to say the least. Even if it were a once in a while occasion I would just go to the buffet & serve myself.

Yeah, sorry! That was seriously "dry" sarcasm! I'm normally pretty good at catching humor, but I missed that one. As for us, we've never been that late to end up missing dinner. We do the early seating & there have been several times we arrived pretty late. We do a table for 2, so have not inconvenienced table mates. Normally they "shut" you off, if you arrive after 6:30. At that point, it's too close to final courses to be served. The whole kitchen is an assembly line & they can't keep entrees beyond a certain point. The couple of times it's been tight, we just order everything real quick & it got served. Sometimes we did a pretty long excursion(ship sponsored)& it resulted in time delays, due to "freshening" up etc.

Just back from our first cruise with Princess, (Royal Princess).

Have to say we were disappointed, maybe our expectations were too high as I had previously heard and read good things about Princess.

The food wasn't as good as I was expecting, although I realize that tastes are different. My husband and I both enjoy cooking, and we enjoy good food. We did have one or two really good entrees (we both liked the Curtis Stone fish stew), but there were more dishes that just didn't pass the taste test. Desserts were especially disappointing, not much choice, in fact most nights I passed on dessert. I did try the soufflé as it is a favorite of mine, but on two occasions it was almost scrambled egg, the third time on the menu though, it was good.

We were surprised to find that the dining room closed for breakfast by 9am, we turned up at 8.55am and told we had to go to the buffet. The bacon at the buffet was cold each day I tried it so I opted for freshly made omelet and that was good.

We did enjoy the food in Alfedo's

We tried the pub lunch one day, opting or fish and chips, it was without doubt the worse fish and chips we have ever tried. The fish was gray and rubbery instead of white and flakey.

I know that there will be people that disagree, to each their own.

The crew were lovely, nothing but praise for just about everyone we encountered.

The photographers were great, paid a lot of attention to detail when taking photos (not all cruise photographers do).

The entertainment was hit and miss (again, like food, this is subjective). What we enjoy, others might not.

We did like the Movies under the Stars,

We enjoyed the itinerary, especially Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Curacao.

Overall, we enjoyed our vacation (after all, we were on vacation, and whatever the circumstance, we make the best of it). Met some lovely people, saw some beautiful places, and had some great experiences.

Princess though is not for us.

This is not to say there is anything drastically wrong, just different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Many times threads with a first and last cruise on Princess title start off stating how someone blinked the wrong way at check-in and it was all downhill and a miserable cruise. Not yours, thank you.

I think it's a fair review with honest and reasonable expectations. Luckily I haven't had the food disappointments you have had, but I can see where it could happen. And at the end of the day, it's about individual taste.

I'm a loyal Princess traveler who will be taking an NCL cruise later this week because I had a deposit cert purchased on NCL prior to discovering Princess. I'm excited about this cruise because of the multitude of restaurant choices and that it's a brand new ship. Your post is a good reminder to me to remember that I am NOT going to be on Princess; I can't expect it to be the same. I expect to have a good time and I hope the differences between the two lines at least balance themselves on the pro vs con scale.

Two questions for the OP:

First, what was it that made you decide to try Princess? Did RCL do something to make you at least once see if the grass were greener on the other side?

Second, a two part question: what one thing did each line do better than the other that you liked?

You should go back to Royal Caribbean then....

I knew when I opened this thread the poor lady would get ripped and you were the first to do it. No point in reading the rest of this thread, I know which direction it took.