Did anyone really object to having just two dining times?

ekerr19

I am sitting here reading about the "leisure" dining concept and wondering what prompted this little experiment... it got me thinking about the implementation of the four dining times and the split between upper and lower levels and the onset of first/upper, main/upper, first/lower, main/lower - which was far more confusing than it ever needed to be.

I think the four dining times has basically been a complete flop. My understanding was the reasoning for implenting the split (and I could be wrong!) was to make service easier and allow a reduction in dining room staff. Most passengers didn't seem to care for it - as they now had to choose between a hidiously early dinner or ridiculously late dinner - and make a choice between upper and lower levels.

If the sole purpose of the four dining times was to simplify the process - what can one make of this new "Chef" dinner, in which people are dancing around and performing while serving?

I am sitting here asking myself... "did anyone REALLY object to having just two dining times?"

What was so bad about having just plain old "early" and "late"?

All these little gimics like leisure, chef, first/main, etc. seem to be completely unneccessary - why not just give us back the old dining times?

Am I simply missing something? Was I the only one who enjoyed having to choose between just 1st or 2nd seating?

The new Chef Dinner notwithstanding I still think the reason for the multiple times was staffing. I don't think it was any secret that a number of people noticed the drop off in service in the dining room, particularly on the new Vista ships. I know our dining room experience on the Oosterdam, before they went to multiple choice dinner times, was the worst we'd ever had on HAL. But to answer your question, early and late worked just fine for us and we've picked what passes for the old late sitting on our upcoming Volendam cruise.

Don't know if "anyone" objected to two times, but I sure didn't. And (IIRC) most folks on this board didn't object, either.

I do realize that changing to four times could have made it easier on the galley staff; can't see that it made it any easier on the passengers, though.

Will HAL ever revert to the former two sittings? I doubt it.

Will they at least stay with the four times? I sure hope so.

Guest Celestia

I certainly don't care if there's two dining times or four, myself, so long as there is still a method for stating one's preference for upper level.

I find the lower dining room to be ugly, noisy and far too crowded to enjoy a meal, and avoid dining there whenever possible.

I'd probably choose to eat in the Lido on a 'dancing servers' dinner night. That sort of thing is *not* my idea of appropriate for the dining rooms.

FW&FS,

Celestia

I most certainly do not object to having just two dining times. But, one advantage I did find when I chose the 8:00 seating in the four dining times set-up was the ability to go to the Explorer's Lounge after dinner and enjoy a leisurely after dinner drink/coffee and the music before going on to the evening's show in the Main Lounge. With just the two dining times, some evenings, my after dinner drink was rushed or got taken with me to the show. And, some evenings, there simply was not enough time to make the stop and still get to the show before it started.

consider is that HAL not only wants to accomodate and therefore attract as cruisers, those who like leisure dining BUT had problems with too many folks wanting early dining and too few wanting later and it resulted in quite a few unhappy folks who got the later dining. There are usually always waiting lists for every early dining time. The d. rooms will only accomodate so many and unless they build huge ones to take all or most folks they require a minimum of 2 dining times - the 4 times is an attempt to split it all up into more manageable portions for serving staff and give the impression of more choice. I see no reason not to have a portion of time & dining room allocated to leisure dining for those who want it - we reserve, do we not, in land based restaurants and besides I think it will continue in some form or another anyway. It is popular on other cruiselines and so will be adopted by HAL but slowly to attempt to pacify the regular HAL cruisers and give them time to adjust. There are too many cruisers to lose if Hal doesn't and the regulars aren't likely to abandon HAL en masse. My only objection as is others, is that the 5:30 pm dining time is too early - it wld be nice if it were amended to 6 pm - but that does 'cause a bit of a problem for serving staff though 'cause of the 7:30 pm start to leisure dining. It means an overlap of time so poorer service. That said other cruiselines manage and so can HAL - might have to hire more staff though to maintain service and then - we pay more in cruise costs or keep what they have and service suffers but costs to us stays lower - take your pick!

Happy cruisin'!

The new Chef Dinner notwithstanding I still think the reason for the multiple times was staffing. I don't think it was any secret that a number of people noticed the drop off in service in the dining room, particularly on the new Vista ships. I know our dining room experience on the Oosterdam, before they went to multiple choice dinner times, was the worst we'd ever had on HAL. But to answer your question, early and late worked just fine for us and we've picked what passes for the old late sitting on our upcoming Volendam cruise.

I am just throwing this out there as a possibility, because I really don't know ...

Could it be that the line temporarily went to four dining times because at that time they had a lot of new staff ... and the staff simply wasn't adept enough to handle all the tables they would have to serve at the same time. Service thus slipped ... comment cards reflected that ... and the line wanted to do something to both improve service and to give these many new employees a chance to get up to speed?

Now maybe new hiring has slacked off ... the staff is far more experienced and thus able to handle the demands of their jobs in a more timely manner ... and thus no longer the need for four dining times?

Just a thought ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I certainly don't care if there's two dining times or four, myself, so long as there is still a method for stating one's preference for upper level.

I find the lower dining room to be ugly, noisy and far too crowded to enjoy a meal, and avoid dining there whenever possible.

I'd probably choose to eat in the Lido on a 'dancing servers' dinner night. That sort of thing is *not* my idea of appropriate for the dining rooms.

I personally don't care where I eat ... upper, lower or in the middle ... nor do I care if there are only two dining times ... as long as those times truly reflect the general preferences of most cruisers ... for example, 6:15 and 8:30. Don't offer me two dining times of 5:45 and maybe 6:30 ... cause that leaves out a whole bunch of people that maybe like to dine later. Make the choice something that will appeal to a wide cross-section of people onboard.

To me, actually, 6:30 is the PERFECT dining time. Not too early that I don't have time to get dressed after getting in from port ... and not too late so that I have to go to bed feeling that I have a rock in my stomach.

If they want leisure dining as an offering ... then use either upper or lower for that purpose and have the set times in the other part of the dining room. I think that's basically what Princess does with its personal choice ... only they use two entirely separate one-level dining rooms to make the concept work.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Two dinner seatings - makes perfect sense to us and many others it seems! Our preference, because we have no kids, is late/second - we don't eat at 6 at home so why would we on a vacation, cruise or otherwise.

As for someone dancing around (Chef Dinner or whatever it's called) not for us! - we'd get up and leave. We pass on 'open seating' too. Tried it and switched to a table for two.

Vista ships appear to be those affected - we won't book one - too big for us - upper or lower, really don't care - upper is nice but we don't fuss about it

Please HAL, stay with Early and Late. Traditional Cruising!

Just off the Ryndam this last thurs.

Had the 6:15 seating but plan on later seatings in the future. Were having to much fun in the crows nest and had to leave to get dressed. 2 or 4, no big deal, we had a great time.

Say HI to Red in the Crows Nest for us

Michael and Mellouise

You might also consider the following....

With the four dining times, now the food that comes on your plate to the table is "fresher" and "less tired" <my words for lack of any others>. Without having to prepare a whole seating's set of entrees for a 10-15 minute serving target window...the food can now be prepared closer to the time it is ordered. I am no longer finding soggy, or steam table delayed, or unjuicy meats coming to the table.

Folks, what is more important?....the quality, taste, and presentation of the food?...or the table you sit at (assuming you can tolerate your assigned seating time).

As an observation, early afternoon on embarkation day, take a trip down (or up) to one of the dining rooms and look at the table map. Notice how many other people are there and what they are saying. "We never sit there". "We want the table we always have". "That's not the table we wanted" (and they are clearly not talking about 2's, 4's, 6's, or 8's). Then go poke your head into the room where the maitre d' is handling requests for tables and listen in on some of the requests that are being made and the reasons for them. Doesn't anyone care about the food?

Please don't jump on me...I realize that "the customer is always right", that individuals have their preferences for very legitimate and compelling reasons. I know that tables get misassigned either through TA's screw-ups, or HAL's, or just plain miscommunication. I just happen to believe that one's cruise experience should be somewhat serendipidous...people should learn and expect to go with the flow a bit more.

Finally, I hope HAL doesn't abandon set seating times (at the same tables with the same stewards). I am a traditionalist. I enjoy the YumYum man with his chimes before dinner. I like the fact that afternoon tea is served. I believe that formal means formal at dinner. I abhor those who come to dinner in tee shirts (on casual, informal, or yes, even formal nights....a man on my last cruise wore a dark blazer on a formal night over a dark colored tee shirt....at least he had a jacket on!)(another couple of men not at the same table as each other, were seen on formal nights coming into the dining room in tuxedos<good> but immediately upon sitting down took off their jackets, put them over the backs of their chairs, and sat all during dinner in their white formal shirts and suspenders). If I want free-style cruising, I'll choose another line.

I am very concerned that in HAL's efforts to "Please Everybody" that HAL will lose what has made it an attractive cruise line to many of us. If the trend continues it will not matter what line we sail-- the distinctive character of each of the cruise lines should be a positive selling point and should help people choose a cruise on attributes, not just price.

HAL -- we like your "smaller" ships -- that really sets you apart and on the top in my book -- smaller is used here in a relative way because your smaller ships at 1200 to 1400 passengers used to be considered large -- but there is definitely a critical mass and the Vista class ships, though very nice, pass that limit for me

HAL -- we like the set dining room times and eating with the same people and the same wait staff every evening -- that, too, sets you apart -- do not become Princess -- the any time dining drove me crazy on Princess as we were often not able to get a table when ready to eat, we were given a beeper like at a land based restaurant (the one dining room set aside for set dining times was filled to capacity LONG before the ship sailed - we were waitlisted for months and never cleared the list) -- and subsequently often missed evening shows and events that we wished to attend. I also hated having introductions and not just fun conversations EVERY evening. I enjoy the intros at breakfast and lunch but it is nice to have some predictable company at dinner.

HAL -- your SOE enhancements like the new bedding and the Explorations Cafe are GREAT, -- the improvements in the children's and teen's facilities were needed, but please do not try to attract families in large numbers -- please leave that to your sister line Carnival

In other words do not dilute the character of HAL in a misguided attempt to attract customers. HAL -- your repeat passenger base has been one of your strong suits -- if your product becomes indistinguishable from the others people will start to choose their cruise line by price only. In order to compete further the whole product will suffer greatly and cruisers will not care what line they are on as long as the price is right. Without passenger loyalty your passenger base will be as unpredictable as the next cruise sale or the next hurricane.

In other words do not dilute the character of HAL in a misguided attempt to attract customers. HAL -- your repeat passenger base has been one of your strong suits -- if your product becomes indistinguishable from the others people will start to choose their cruise line by price only.
Amen and amen! I don't object to 4 dining times if the service is what it should be. But leisure dining is not why I cruise. I can show up at one of Wolfgang Puck's Las Vegas restaurants and stand in line waiting to be seated. I do not go on a cruise for that. I like showing up at my assigned time, going right to my table with no wait, and enjoying the same new friends for the entire cruise. That's part of the experience, IMO. If your only offer of this arrangement is a very early dining time, forget it!

With the four dining times, now the food that comes on your plate to the table is "fresher" and "less tired" <my words for lack of any others>. Without having to prepare a whole seating's set of entrees for a 10-15 minute serving target window...the food can now be prepared closer to the time it is ordered. I am no longer finding soggy, or steam table delayed, or unjuicy meats coming to the table.

Folks, what is more important?....the quality, taste, and presentation of the food?...or the table you sit at (assuming you can tolerate your assigned seating time).

As an observation, early afternoon on embarkation day, take a trip down (or up) to one of the dining rooms and look at the table map. Notice how many other people are there and what they are saying. "We never sit there". "We want the table we always have". "That's not the table we wanted" (and they are clearly not talking about 2's, 4's, 6's, or 8's). Then go poke your head into the room where the maitre d' is handling requests for tables and listen in on some of the requests that are being made and the reasons for them. Doesn't anyone care about the food?

Please don't jump on me...I realize that "the customer is always right", that individuals have their preferences for very legitimate and compelling reasons. I know that tables get misassigned either through TA's screw-ups, or HAL's, or just plain miscommunication. I just happen to believe that one's cruise experience should be somewhat serendipidous...people should learn and expect to go with the flow a bit more.

Finally, I hope HAL doesn't abandon set seating times (at the same tables with the same stewards). I am a traditionalist. I enjoy the YumYum man with his chimes before dinner. I like the fact that afternoon tea is served. I believe that formal means formal at dinner. I abhor those who come to dinner in tee shirts (on casual, informal, or yes, even formal nights....a man on my last cruise wore a dark blazer on a formal night over a dark colored tee shirt....at least he had a jacket on!)(another couple of men not at the same table as each other, were seen on formal nights coming into the dining room in tuxedos<good> but immediately upon sitting down took off their jackets, put them over the backs of their chairs, and sat all during dinner in their white formal shirts and suspenders). If I want free-style cruising, I'll choose another line.[/QUOT

u have brought up some very good points. Hope HAL is reading all this. Unfortunately for traditionalists such as ourselves, everything has been getting much more casual although it will become evident soon that is changing back to more traditional. Casual Fridays are being fazed out in a lot of offices so likely its just a matter of time before more 'dressup' will apprear but very slowly..I do not object to leisure dining - done lots of it myself on & off cruiseships and I can understand how difficult this must be for HAL with so many folks asking for it. That said, like all things, when the the majority finally wants something the 'tide' is changing to something else. Interesting to see what will happen over time. 'Business is business' and cruiselines have to make money for their shareholders which sometimes necessitates making what can prove to be unpopular changes - lets hope whomever is making these decisions gets it right.. I do not envy those folks who have to try & please all - impossible task - don't u agree?!

Happy cruisin' all!

Finally, I hope HAL doesn't abandon set seating times (at the same tables with the same stewards). I am a traditionalist. I enjoy the YumYum man with his chimes before dinner. I like the fact that afternoon tea is served. I believe that formal means formal at dinner. I abhor those who come to dinner in tee shirts (on casual, informal, or yes, even formal nights....a man on my last cruise wore a dark blazer on a formal night over a dark colored tee shirt....at least he had a jacket on!)(another couple of men not at the same table as each other, were seen on formal nights coming into the dining room in tuxedos<good> but immediately upon sitting down took off their jackets, put them over the backs of their chairs, and sat all during dinner in their white formal shirts and suspenders). If I want free-style cruising, I'll choose another line.[/QUOT

u have brought up some very good points. Hope HAL is reading all this. Unfortunately for traditionalists such as ourselves, everything has been getting much more casual although it will become evident soon that is changing back to more traditional. Casual Fridays are being fazed out in a lot of offices so likely its just a matter of time before more 'dressup' will apprear but very slowly..I do not object to leisure dining - done lots of it myself on & off cruiseships and I can understand how difficult this must be for HAL with so many folks asking for it. That said, like all things, when the the majority finally wants something the 'tide' is changing to something else. Interesting to see what will happen over time. 'Business is business' and cruiselines have to make money for their shareholders which sometimes necessitates making changes, some of which can prove to be unpopular & unprofitable. Who knows whether this leisure dining 'stuff' is just that or for HAL a good choice. Lets hope whomever is making these decisions gets it right..moving cautiously is a step in the right direction though - 'test the waters' so to speak before 'jumping in' hmmm? I do not envy those folks who have to try & please all - impossible task - don't u agree?!

Happy cruisin' all!

u have brought up some very good points. Hope HAL is reading all this. Unfortunately for traditionalists such as ourselves, everything has been getting much more casual although it will become evident soon that is changing back to more traditional. Casual Fridays are being fazed out in a lot of offices so likely its just a matter of time before more 'dressup' will apprear but very slowly..I do not object to leisure dining - done lots of it myself on & off cruiseships and I can understand how difficult this must be for HAL with so many folks asking for it. That said, like all things, when the the majority finally wants something the 'tide' is changing to something else. Interesting to see what will happen over time. 'Business is business' and cruiselines have to make money for their shareholders which sometimes necessitates making changes, some of which can prove to be unpopular & unprofitable. Who knows whether this leisure dining 'stuff' is just that or for HAL a good choice. Lets hope whomever is making these decisions gets it right..moving cautiously is a step in the right direction though - 'test the waters' so to speak before 'jumping in' hmmm?

Happy cruisin' all!

Have any of you people directly contacted HAL with your concerns? Do you think writing letters to the Seattle office might make a difference--I do, especially if they are as succinctly and eloquently put as arzz's post.

I too would be most displeased if freestyle dining became the norm, and I'm worried that is the direction HAL is heading.

Archived