New to Celebrity Advice Please

geordielass2

Hi

We are booked on Celebrity Eclipse in Oct 17, we have only cruised twice with Royal Caribbean and would like some advice about Celebrity.

1) we are not big drinkers but my OH likes an occasional beer/lager. On RC we are used to the english style pub or the Pyramid lounge can you get beer/lager at any of the bars and are the draft beers in pints? OH has never tried them but might like to.

2) can we take a couple of bottles of water on with us mainly for OH's medication he takes a lot.

3) During the booking I was never asked if I wanted the beds twin or double, we are in an inside cabin how do we let them know we want twins, I booked direct with Celebrity.

Any tips would be appreciated.

You can take all the water you want to -- some people bring a case of water, the kind that is wrapped securely in plastic. Put a luggage tag on it and it will be delivered to your door with your suitcase.

Call Celebrity and have them check your booking to see what the bed arrangement currently is for you.

The Gastro Pub on deck 5 has a large selection of imported beers. Also, all bars will have beer available. You can bring on as much water as you would like. Bed arrangements...if you get to your cabin and the beds are not in the configuration you want, your cabin steward will gladly change it for you. Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi

We are booked on Celebrity Eclipse in Oct 17, we have only cruised twice with Royal Caribbean and would like some advice about Celebrity.

1) we are not big drinkers but my OH likes an occasional beer/lager. On RC we are used to the english style pub or the Pyramid lounge can you get beer/lager at any of the bars and are the draft beers in pints? OH has never tried them but might like to.

2) can we take a couple of bottles of water on with us mainly for OH's medication he takes a lot.

3) During the booking I was never asked if I wanted the beds twin or double, we are in an inside cabin how do we let them know we want twins, I booked direct with Celebrity.

Regarding your first question...

There should be reduced pricing on draft beer at the Gastro Bar and Ensemble Lounge each day from 5 to 6:30. Check on board to confirm the timing. =X= really doesn't do draft beer. Normally all they have is Heineken and Amstel light. Drafts are served in 12oz, or so, pilsner glasses.

Cheers,

OHP

Edited by okiehokiepokie

Hi

1) For those who are not big drinkers, estimate how much you would spend on drinks without a beverage package.

Then compare their regular published price with the beverage package included to any discounted fares without perks for which you are eligible

Some of the discounted prices are hardly worthwhile, but others really offer substantial savings. The prices keep fluctuating.

Celebrity lets you adjust pricing up until the final payment date.

2) Yes, you may take all the bottled water you want. Just pick up a handful of luggage tags at the pier, write your cabin number on them, completely peel off the backing from each label and press them on all around each case or carton of water to help hold it together.

Then check them in as luggage, and they will be delivered to your cabin.

Or you can drink the ship's water, which is perfectly fine to drink. That is what they use in their soups, ice cubes, iced tea, coffee, lemonade, etc.

If you are happy with the ship's ice and water, ask your stateroom attendant for an ice bucket and water pitcher for your cabin.

They are refilled twice daily when the cabin is serviced (or more frequently upon request).

3) If you booked your cruise yourself online, you should be able to change the bed arrangement yourself in your Celebrity reservation

under MANAGE RESERVATION;

then under Stateroom, where you choose whether you want the beds together or apart.

But if an agent booked the cruise for you, they no longer allow you to edit the reservation yourself, so you need to call Celebrity to do it for you (or call your travel agent instead, if you used a TA).

Regardless, if the beds are not the way you want them when you board the ship, just let your stateroom attendant know and the beds will be rearranged for you during the evening turn down service while you are at dinner.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hope you like Celebrity as much as we do, realizing that it is a more serene, laid back experience without all the bells and whistles of Royal Caribbean.

Hi

Thanks for the replies good to know the water is fine to drink, hubby takes lots of medication.

I've looked at the deck plans but can't find a Gastro Pub on deck 5, is it called something else when it sails from the UK. I can see the Ensemble Lounge but I guess hubby will be able to get a beer/lager in most bars as you say.

Really getting excited about our first cruise with Celebrity think it will suit us better than RC.

Thanks

Hi

1) I don't drink beer/lager so I really can't answer that one.

2) Yes, no problem.

3) Just go to "Guest Relations" when you board & let them know. They will then notify your room attendant who will follow your request.

Hi

Thanks for the replies good to know the water is fine to drink, hubby takes lots of medication.

I've looked at the deck plans but can't find a Gastro Pub on deck 5, is it called something else when it sails from the UK. I can see the Ensemble Lounge but I guess hubby will be able to get a beer/lager in most bars as you say.

Really getting excited about our first cruise with Celebrity think it will suit us better than RC.

Thanks

Gastro Bar is on Deck 3 across from the Grand Foyer and Guest Relations..

1) I don't drink beer/lager so I really can't answer that one.

2) Yes, no problem.

3) Just go to "Guest Relations" when you board & let them know. They will then notify your room attendant who will follow your request.

Don't bother with guest relations, first day there are very often long lines. Your steward will introduce himself, just tell him how you want your bed, after dinner it will be the way you want it.

Hi

No need to wait until you board in six months.

Just call Celebrity now and let them know.

Sometimes even if you asked, the beds will not be the way you asked for. If that happens, just ask your cabin steward to change them and he/she will do it by the evening.

The Gastro Pub on deck 5 has a large selection of imported beers. Also, all bars will have beer available. !

GastroBar is only on the Equinox. On the other ships, the craft beer selections are spread out a bit. The Passport Bar normally has the small plate menu on the others.

I've looked at the deck plans but can't find a Gastro Pub on deck 5, I can see the Ensemble Lounge but I guess hubby will be able to get a beer/lager in most bars as you say.

Thanks

Opps, I didn't read thru all the comments before posting.

But it is the Passport Bar across from Guest Relations on deck 3 where the GastroBar is incorporated.

The Ensemble is by all the Speciality venues.

The water you get out of the tap in the cabin will have a chlorine taste, as it is sanitized with chlorine. The water you get for drinking from bars, restaurants and the buffet is carbon filtered so the chlorine taste is gone. We like to bring bottled water on cruises because it's an easy to make sure we are getting enough water, but otherwise find the water served as drinking water just fine. It has to be tested and meet guidelines that are as stringent as municipal water systems on shore, so it is perfectly safe.

We like to bring bottled water on cruises because it's an easy to make sure we are getting enough water, but otherwise find the water served as drinking water just fine. It has to be tested and meet guidelines that are as stringent as municipal water systems on shore, so it is perfectly safe.

A PSA comment... Bottled water is regulated by the FDA, public drinking water by the EPA. Currently the EPA has far more stringent requirements than the FDA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also new to celebrity and although we will likely eat most of our meals in the MDR we would like some advice on maybe one or two of the specialty restaurants.

If you had to choose just one or two what would u recommend?

I know its subjective to what types of food you like but just in general which is best. Regarding food types, we like lobster/seafood or steak. No really big pasta eaters.

Thanks!

Murano & Tuscan Grille.

Murano serves Chateau Briand for two, & it's excellent.

I also had a very good steak in the Tuscan Grille. And I'm not a big fan of pasta, either.:)

If you sail on the Silhouette or the Reflection...try the Lawn Grille. You have the option of grilling the steaks yourself or having the chef do it.

We had the chef do it, & it was by far the best specialty restaurant we tried. It's a very large meal, so arrive hungry.

We are also new to celebrity and although we will likely eat most of our meals in the MDR we would like some advice on maybe one or two of the specialty restaurants.

I know its subjective to what types of food you like but just in general which is best. Regarding food types, we like lobster/seafood or steak. No really big pasta eaters.

Thanks!

For us, it would be Murano. When ordering the Steak, we frequently ask to have a Lobster tail shared. Never had an issue. Would like it if they had our New England Lobsters instead of the warm water type.

Would like it if they had our New England Lobsters instead of the warm water type.

YES!!! And don't forget the drawn butter.

Was on a different cruise line once when drawn butter was not served on lobster nights.

This was a Boston bound sailing with many NE passengers on board.

I thought they were going to riot over the lack of drawn butter. LOL!

A PSA comment... Bottled water is regulated by the FDA, public drinking water by the EPA. Currently the EPA has far more stringent requirements than the FDA.

Water on ships is covered under different international regulations (SOLAS? Something like that). Usually it is made by distillation of sea water into fresh water (pressurizing, then heating to steam, then condensing the steam into water) and uses the ships' waste engine heat to do it, so there's very little cost. They can also use reverse osmosis to turn the sea water into fresh water. The water is then passed through calcium carbonite filters to adjust the pH so the sodium hypochlorite (swimming pool bleach) is effective. It is continuously circulated through the ship's pipes and tested at the furthest point from the storage (usually near the bridge) and the chlorine level is continuously adjusted to .005 ppm (or something like that). The ship can also take on "bunkered water" from a port, but it has to be quarantined for a period of time - 24 to 30 hours if I recall - and then tested, treated and blended into the ship's water system. These three methods are listed in order of preference due to costs involved (the distilled water is the cheapest to produce, but they cannot use that method while close to shore).

(Thanks to the Chief Engineer that posts to these boards from time to time for those details).

Both bottled water and municipal water is relatively safe in the US with prominent exceptions (Flint, MI). My municipality has switched to using chloramines rather than chlorine for sanitation because they last longer and produce less cancer causing compounds ("byproducts of sanitation") when exposed to organic material from tree roots, etc. However, our water is very hard, at 22 grains, and almost everyone has a ion-exchange water softener that adds sodium to the water. Doctors advise people on low sodium diets not to drink softened water.

Bottled water is filtered to remove any chlorine present, then sanitized either with UV or ozone neither of which leave a residual or impact the taste. It has very little to no sodium, far less than natural waters, due to this treatment.

Like your favorite beer, you can choose whichever water you like best, bottled, tap or the ship's filtered water. All three are safe and sanitary (with a few exceptions). There might be unsafe water on a ship, but its not anywhere you can come in contact with it.