Upgrade without penalty for UK cruisers

bogofman

We are thinking of booking for a cruise next December, UK booking

If prices drop, between now and then, have any UK cruisers managed to upgrade without penalty? To a better cabin o

For similar price ( price has droped) or for slightly more, without losing deposit, and or perks?

We are thinking of booking for a cruise next December, UK booking

If prices drop, between now and then, have any UK cruisers managed to upgrade without penalty? To a better cabin o

For similar price ( price has droped) or for slightly more, without losing deposit, and or perks?

I have tried for an upcoming cruise...nope. Nothing. No joy. It just reinforced why it will take a lot for me to support my local economy and book in the UK again. I will send my UK £££ to the US.

I have tried for an upcoming cruise...nope. Nothing. No joy. It just reinforced why it will take a lot for me to support my local economy and book in the UK again. I will send my UK £££ to the US.

Indeed. Celebrity UK let me do it in 2014, the rule being that the new cabin had to cost at least £1 more than the original booking, and we went from Balcony to Aqua for a hundred pounds. Now, they don't allow it, presumably because they reckon that reselling the original cabin would get them less than we'd paid.

But what's good for the US should be good for the UK. :-(

Stuart

Indeed. Celebrity UK let me do it in 2014, the rule being that the new cabin had to cost at least £1 more than the original booking, and we went from Balcony to Aqua for a hundred pounds. Now, they don't allow it, presumably because they reckon that reselling the original cabin would get them less than we'd paid.

But what's good for the US should be good for the UK. :-(

Stuart

In previous years, they also honoured price drops ;).

Yes there are reports about upgrading and honoring price drops a few years ago but Celebrity and Royal fell into line with other UK cruise lines and stopped it. If you want to upgrade your cabin, you pay the prevailing rate for the new cabin at the time you originally booked.

We've used US agents a few times but in the last 18 months, even with the pound falling, any cruise we've compared has been less expensive to book in the UK.

We booked an OV & balcony whilst onboard Eclipse last year for our Greece & Italy cruise in September this year. We were told the price was the best they offer plus the perks. The price dropped in October for both cabins. The only option I had was to lose the deposit & perks and book again at the lower price. I asked if they would consider upgrading the OV to a balcony to compensate & was told no.

Personally I can't see the benefit of booking onboard and definitely won't rush to do so again, it really infuriates me the US can make changes but we're penalised in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - we did this on our Constellation cruise last Nov/Dec. We had booked an AQ. I noticed that the price had dropped. Rang our TA. Not only upgraded to a Sky Suite, but also refunded the difference between Sky Suite cost and what we had paid. Not entirely sure if this was down to our TA being awesome, or whether they checked with X first.

Yes there are reports about upgrading and honoring price drops a few years ago but Celebrity and Royal fell into line with other UK cruise lines and stopped it.

Maybe Princess doesn't qualify as a UK cruise line, but I got them to honour a sizeable price drop on 2 cabins I had booked for a Med cruise this summer.

This issue drives me nuts too, and makes me rethink my booking strategy.

We booked an OV & balcony whilst onboard Eclipse last year for our Greece & Italy cruise in September this year. We were told the price was the best they offer plus the perks. The price dropped in October for both cabins. The only option I had was to lose the deposit & perks and book again at the lower price. I asked if they would consider upgrading the OV to a balcony to compensate & was told no.

Personally I can't see the benefit of booking onboard and definitely won't rush to do so again, it really infuriates me the US can make changes but we're penalised in the UK

Still the best deal on offer is booking a future cruise onboard.

Don't understand you saying losing your deposit if you cancelled. When we have booked onboard we have been given obc equal to the deposit so in effect the deposit was ZERO cost. Also our recent deposit for a balcony cabin was £148 with $250 obc on our current cruise, if we cancelled at a later date we still gained over $50 as Celebrity are still using the exchange rate of $1.68=1GBP. Your onboard booking is also transferable upto final payment to any other future cruise, you won't get that booking in the UK.

The UK deals since the Brexit currency slump are by far superior to those offered by US TA's

Maybe Princess doesn't qualify as a UK cruise line, but I got them to honour a sizeable price drop on 2 cabins I had booked for a Med cruise this summer.

This issue drives me nuts too, and makes me rethink my booking strategy.

Yes I've read sporadic reports about Princess doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still the best deal on offer is booking a future cruise onboard.

Don't understand you saying losing your deposit if you cancelled. When we have booked onboard we have been given obc equal to the deposit so in effect the deposit was ZERO cost. Also our recent deposit for a balcony cabin was £148 with $250 obc on our current cruise, if we cancelled at a later date we still gained over $50 as Celebrity are still using the exchange rate of $1.68=1GBP. Your onboard booking is also transferable upto final payment to any other future cruise, you won't get that booking in the UK.

The UK deals since the Brexit currency slump are by far superior to those offered by US TA's

We paid £400 (£100pp) deposit on board, got 4 x drinks package & OBC. When the price dropped by £600 I was told I could cancel, lose the deposit & OBC or accept the price I paid. My TA contacted Celebrity & when she got no joy I wrote a letter of complaint which also got the same result. I agree we could have transferred to a different future cruise but we booked this one for a specific reason.

Sent from my iPad using Forums