NCL Getaway=The Plague?!

nt199206

Just got off the Getaway from the 3/19-3/26 voyage. It wasn't our wedding cruise, had a bunch of family cruising with us. After we all got home, we have all been so sick... fever, Sore threat, etc. Has anyone else that hasn't sailed on that voyage also gotten sick?? I thought this was going to be the one cruise I get off that I wasn't going to get sick because of all the sanitizer stations! We were washing hands like crazy also.

Sick happens. Sorry to hear you were impacted. I'm not going to touch the "how it could have happened" part, but you missed sanitizing your nose and lungs apparently.

Alternatively, I am shocked not to have read the title:

"Kids = infectious Rats?!?!"

or

"Schools = Are They Using Kids as Biological Weapon Disbursement Tools?"

Feel better!

Not surprising with so many people in a confined space. I've seen a whole barracks of young, healthy men get sick from communicable diseases. It is a cruise, not a Himalayan ascent, so you get a good mix of healthy and unhealthy. Plus, embarkation health screening may not pick up symptoms manifesting later in a seven day cruise. Alternatively, there might have been some crud circulating at a port of call. Bottomline: its the people, not the ship, that gets you sick.

People get sick after all sorts of vacations. Over exert yourself, not enough sleep, communal spaces from boats to planes, etc.

I assume also kids = sickness in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always sick when I return from holiday. I think its being on a plane that does it for me. All that re-circulated air..... I know I am always going to be sick with some sort of respiratory thing and as there is nothing you can do - eg bring your own oxygen bottle :) I expect it now and kind of plan for it.

We have a local school here that has just had to shut down because of a norovirus type bug that has wiped everybody out. I guess where you get a lot of people in a confined space, if there's a bug it is gonna spread quickly.

I try to avoid touching my face, handrails on stairs, door handles etc.... I use my elbows to call lifts and I wash my hands with good old soap and water as often as I can... also offering myself to washy washy too!! (even though I don't think that gel does much except dry out my skin)

Did you fly? It could have been from anything!

Once, we flew to Florida for a cruise;

People on the plane were coughing and hacking.:mad:

I gave them dirty looks.

During our cruise, I got sick.

On our flight back to PA, I was coughing and hacking.

Noticed people giving me dirty looks.:cool:

I have often thought about wearing gloves and a medical mask while traveling. Planes and airports are super germy as well as subway stations. I have gotten sick after a cruise to Alaska, but stayed healthy after a recent trip to NYC.

One time, on Carnival I got Sick. There was a wedding. An a rabbit. Something about the wine. It was a nice trip. We had an inside. Some others were sice too. I remember liking the coffee. sunsets ware amazing. We stopped at the islands once. The boat was huge. How do they turn? But we did get sic. Not sure if everybody did. Mostly I remember the sunsets. I think it was that trip.

One time, on Carnival

I got Sick. There was a wedding. An a rabbit.

Something about the wine. It was a nice trip. We had an inside. Some others were sice too. I remember liking the coffee. sunsets ware amazing. We stopped at the islands once.

The boat was huge. How do they turn?

But we did get sic. Not sure if everybody did. Mostly I remember the sunsets.

I think it was that trip.

Tripping ?

Yes, after getting sick, that was my main question...

"How do they turn?" :cool:

Edited by $hip$hape

One time, on Carnival I got Sick. There was a wedding. An a rabbit. Something about the wine. It was a nice trip. We had an inside. Some others were sice too. I remember liking the coffee. sunsets ware amazing. We stopped at the islands once. The boat was huge. How do they turn? But we did get sic. Not sure if everybody did. Mostly I remember the sunsets. I think it was that trip.

Brilliant [emoji1376]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:'):'):')

Has anyone else that hasn't sailed on that voyage also gotten sick??

Some people who haven't sailed on that voyage have gotten sick. Some have. Some who sailed on that voyage haven't gotten sick. Some have.

We're good?

after you get your food at the buffet,,,wash your hands,,then eat

Exactly! Washing your hands as you enter protects others, but does nothing to protect yourself from dirty hands that touched the serving spoons. Wash your hands, get your food, wash your hands, then eat.

• 2 weeks later...

10 cruises and neither of us has ever gotten sick.

Try to Avoid - Elevator buttons, remote controls, door knobs and hand rails. If unavoidable wash your hands before touching your face.

Avoid Like the Plague - Hot Tubs, Self Serve drink machines, Any type of dip in the buffet (someone has double dipped while waiting in line)

We also got off the Getaway 4/9...both kids (15) woke up with a high fevers the next day and missed the first day back to school. But, as others have said, you are on a ship with 4000 others and all their germs. Washing your hands and using sanitizer helps, but isn't foolproof.