I want to upgrade my room and give Norwegian $800 more dollars- but they will take aw

I called to upgrade my room on the pearl to an aft balcony, almost $800 more, but they told me I will lose my $100 OBC because it's not a current promotion. That seems silly to me. I asked if there was any way to negotiate keeping it since I am giving them more money, they said I, but has anyone had any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have time to wait? Keep checking. We upgraded after final payment and got lots of things added that I didn't know about. It was a nice surprise.

Thankfully it's a year away so, yeah. Great idea. I was just flabbergasted- if I downgraded I would understand, or changed cruises or something but it took all of me to convince myself to pay the extra since I am already paying an arm and a leg (cruising solo in a double room as it is) so losing half a massage in credit was just too much!

I called to upgrade my room on the pearl to an aft balcony, almost $800 more, but they told me I will lose my $100 OBC because it's not a current promotion. That seems silly to me. I asked if there was any way to negotiate keeping it since I am giving them more money, they said I, but has anyone had any experience with this?

You are not really giving them more money. you are booking a different room at a different price which does not include the OBC perk.

Technically you are canceling your reservation & re-booking. If your OBC was a perk from your previous booking that is no longer available then yes, you loose it.

If you wait until closer to your sailing, you may get an invitation to bid on an upsell. This would allow you to keep the perks you already have while getting a higher category of room. It is a crap shoot, but if you really want to keep the OBC, it is your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Technically you are canceling your reservation & re-booking. If your OBC was a perk from your previous booking that is no longer available then yes, you loose it.

If you wait until closer to your sailing, you may get an invitation to bid on an upsell. This would allow you to keep the perks you already have while getting a higher category of room. It is a crap shoot, but if you really want to keep the OBC, it is your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but do they do the "bid on an upsell" thing from balcony cabin to aft balcony cabin? What I really want is one of two very specific cabins, so I don't even think the bid thing works that way- where you bid on a specific room. I got some thinking to do I guess.

Thankfully it's a year away

NCL has a whole year to sell that room to someone else at the going price. Your offer of extra $800 is not enticing enough to them. Last minute sale to fill a half empty ship may be different.

Well, I decided to suck it up, and even though the cabins I wanted were available as of 2pm today, sometime between 2 and 6 someone snatched them up (my cruise is 13 months away.)

I only wanted an aft balcony that had a big balcony and there are only 2, so, I guess that solved it for me.

Likely the aft facing balcony will be sold without going through the up sale process. We booked AFB on Pearl for Alaska and they sold out nine months in advance. I had to scour online TAs until I found one in their block, but, like I said, that was nine months ago. I checked back occasionally and an AFB never came available again. I made sure the TA put a note on the cabin to not upgrade.

Yes, but do they do the "bid on an upsell" thing from balcony cabin to aft balcony cabin? What I really want is one of two very specific cabins, so I don't even think the bid thing works that way- where you bid on a specific room. I got some thinking to do I guess.

If you really want an aft balcony, you need to just book it now. They are very popular and it is quite unlikely they will be available close to cruise time.

If you really want an aft balcony, you need to just book it now. They are very popular and it is quite unlikely they will be available close to cruise time.

Yes. The two aft balconies that I would have wanted were there yesterday morning and gone by dinner time. One came back late last night so I snagged it this morning. I lost my credit, but I thought about it- and confirmed with Ncl- I know prior to final payment you can request a pricing change if the price drops, but you can also do the same thing with promotions- if the price stays the same or lowers but they offer Obc again- I can call in. My cruise is over a year away, so I did that and now I have an aft cabin with a ginormous balcony all to myself.

When we booked OUR LAST cruise with Princess Cruise Lines, we were given a $50 cabin credit. Later, we decided to upgrade our "window suite" to a larger "full suite" at a cost of an additional $2500. They took away our $50.00. The ridiculousness of that move (we know they had every right to do it...but its $50.00...) has kept us from sailing with Princess ever again. They had a choice....and we had a choice. Sometimes its just the principle.

Yes. The two aft balconies that I would have wanted were there yesterday morning and gone by dinner time. One came back late last night so I snagged it this morning. I lost my credit, but I thought about it- and confirmed with Ncl- I know prior to final payment you can request a pricing change if the price drops, but you can also do the same thing with promotions- if the price stays the same or lowers but they offer Obc again- I can call in. My cruise is over a year away, so I did that and now I have an aft cabin with a ginormous balcony all to myself.

I think you'll be happy you did this. I think you realized when you thought the afts were gone that really wanted one. This way you should have no regrets that you didn't grab it when you had the chance and if there is a price drop or other offers, then that would be a nice bonus. You now have the cabin that you really wanted. Enjoy!

Do you have time to wait? Keep checking. We upgraded after final payment and got lots of things added that I didn't know about. It was a nice surprise.

Same here. For the cost of the gratuities for each of us to have the UBP, we had that added and upgraded to a mini suite with the large balcony.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update on this if anyone cares! Quick recap: booked a balcony for just me, during a promotion for $100 free obc. Decided this is a big deal trip and that I wanted one of the two large aft balconies on the ship, but in doing so, and paying considerably more, I would lose my OBC. since there are only 2 aft balconies on the whole ship that size, I went for it, losing my OBC.

Here's the update, last night I noticed a promotion for $100 obc, and a mock booking showed that the price for my cabin would stay the same, so today I called and rebooked and got my OBC back. Hooray. Now I have 363 days to go.

yes, seems unfair but it is the way it works. we had a cruise cancelled on us, I won't go into detail, but it wasn't our TAs fault or ours. When TA went to make final payment is when she learned there was a problem. It got straightened out, we got even a better cabin location but went from a 4 UDP to only a 3 night one. No big deal, yet I understand how you feel right now. It amounts to cancelling one reservation and making a new one.

op,just read your update: good for you, keep your eyes out and who knows what might happen. Have a good cruise and enjoy that special cabin.

Edited by newmexicoNita