Dietary Concerns (DF & GF)

Wesley66IN

We've never sailed on PC and have a DD with severe dairy and moderate gluten intolerance. Love to hear some recent experiences and if PC food preparation for these dietary issues is done in a separate and dedicated space. thanks in advance!

My wife is lactose intolerant and allergic to shell fish. The first night, when we are seated in the MDR, we ask for the Head Waiter. My wife explains her situation to him. Each night he brings the menu for the NEXT night. He helps her make selections that will work for her. So far it has worked great.

When we previously cruised, we always had to wait significantly longer than everyone else around us. It was still a great blessing as the girls could actually eat new and fun things but we ended up spending 3-4 hours in the MDR each day (B, L, D). Did y'all experience longer wait times?

The wife of a couple at our table a year and a half ago was on a GF/DF diet and we didn't experience longer times at dinner. All six at our table wanted to see the early show and we were out in 75-90 minutes but no one had dessert/lingered over coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've never sailed on PC and have a DD with severe dairy and moderate gluten intolerance. Love to hear some recent experiences and if PC food preparation for these dietary issues is done in a separate and dedicated space. thanks in advance!

My DW is GF . She doesn't have any issue. We where told they have a special area to handle dietary requirements.

Some times GF food is the normal menu item with the sauce not added. They get you to select your lunch and dinner menu the day before. They even made GF escargot.

When we previously cruised, we always had to wait significantly longer than everyone else around us. It was still a great blessing as the girls could actually eat new and fun things but we ended up spending 3-4 hours in the MDR each day (B, L, D). Did y'all experience longer wait times?

Since you order the specially prepared food the day before, there is no extra time needed at the time you eat your meal.

No, we had no problem with waits. We usually sit at a table for 6 (usually with 4 strangers) and my wife was fed with the rest of us.

We used the online special dietary request form months before the cruise. Our first night at dinner, both the waiter and the head waiter came to our table and asked which one of us was gluten free. They brought a basket of gluten free bread and my husband pre-ordered his dinners on the other nights. There was no delay in timing or anything. We had excellent service at dinner. I don't know if there was a dedicated kitchen or not.

In the buffets, my husband just helped himself to stuff that he knew he could eat.

At the buffet I get one of the Chefs. He would walk me around the who buffet and tell me what I can or can not eat. Some of the food the ingredients were "hidden" that I could not see shell fish, but it was in it. So, having them tell me what food to stay away from really helped me.

We traveled on Regal a lot and I got to know the chefs. Nagi, Jackson and Peter were wonderful. Peter is now in the dinning room deck six. But they were all so helpful, and very nice people.

At the buffet I get one of the Chefs. He would walk me around the who buffet and tell me what I can or can not eat. Some of the food the ingredients were "hidden" that I could not see shell fish, but it was in it. So, having them tell me what food to stay away from really helped me.

We traveled on Regal a lot and I got to know the chefs. Nagi, Jackson and Peter were wonderful. Peter is now in the dinning room deck six. But they were all so helpful, and very nice people.

Depending on your allergy, you may need to ask the chefs to bring food directly from the kitchen. Even though they are careful to avoid cross-contamination in the kitchen, passengers in the buffet are not so careful. It is common for a passenger to switch a serving utensil from one disk to another.

Depending on your allergy, you may need to ask the chefs to bring food directly from the kitchen. Even though they are careful to avoid cross-contamination in the kitchen, passengers in the buffet are not so careful. It is common for a passenger to switch a serving utensil from one disk to another.

You are right. When there was a food next to a shell fish dish, the chefs told me to as for some that has not been put out yet, from behind the counter. They told me that they would get me what ever I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

They are very good about GF. I have celiac and they treat everyone who has food allergies and such with great care. They bring me the menu at the table when we first sit down and discuss with me what I want for the next night - that is the one thing that kind of bothers me. I'd really rather do that in private rather than have the whole table in on the "big drama". Maybe it's just me but I don't like the attention being called to it so much. Other than that they are very good. In the Horizon court they will toast me some GF toast with my eggs but it takes a few minutes so order your toast first thing when you go into the buffet.

I will be going on my first Princess cruise this summer, but last summer was my first RCCL cruise since having to go completely dairy-free, and they too would bring around the menu and make me pick out what I was going to eat the next night. We were usually at a table for 2 so I didn't feel too conspicuous but it was kinda awkward. Oh well, better than eating something that's going to make me sick. Sigh. They were actually kind of erratic about it -some nights my "food concierge" never showed up, and one night someone brought me a really creamy salad dressing I immediately rejected. I'm sure these things can happen on any large ship and you just have to be your own advocate.

They are very good about GF. I have celiac and they treat everyone who has food allergies and such with great care. They bring me the menu at the table when we first sit down and discuss with me what I want for the next night - that is the one thing that kind of bothers me. I'd really rather do that in private rather than have the whole table in on the "big drama". Maybe it's just me but I don't like the attention being called to it so much. Other than that they are very good. In the Horizon court they will toast me some GF toast with my eggs but it takes a few minutes so order your toast first thing when you go into the buffet.

If you would rather talk with the head waiter privately instead of at the dinner table, just ask. I haven't seen it done, but I don't know any reason why he wouldn't accommodate you. You would need to see him sometime at the MDR during the dinner hours, but it wouldn't have to be while you're eating.

• 3 months later...
Any one with GF and dairy issues have any success with the pizza at Slice? And any dairy free ice cream or chocolate any where on the ship? thanks
With advanced notice they can provide GF crust and I believe you get a whole small pizza like delivered by Room Service. I know someone at our table one cruise did get the GF crust pizza there but they weren't DF also. Don't know if they have dairy free cheese substitute.

Sent from my iPad using Forums