Tips for bringing back alcohol

mandygal00

What are some good tips for bringing back a bottle or 2 of rum from Puerto Rico? I'm assuming I won't be able to bring it back home in my carryon because of the liquids rule. What's the best way to pack the bottles in my luggage without them breaking? Should I bring some bubble wrap? What works for y'all? Also, can you fly with cigars in your carryon? I would think so since you can fly with cigarettes. I understand if you purchase alcohol on port, the ship will hold it till you leave. That is fine, I want the rum to take home!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bubble wrap works great. Otherwise you can get travel packages for bottles where you slide it right in and pack it between clothes. It seals so if for some reason it breaks, it doesn't leak. We've never had one break! They are called bottle armor XXL. It even comes with a corkscrew so you can take wine down. And yes cigars can go in your carry on.

If you are flying out, there is duty free shop after you clear tsa that has pretty good selection. The will put purchase in padded sealed bag. Never tried it with connecting flights but very easy with direct flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recommend carrying it off the ship and putting into checked luggage at airport. Less chance of bottles getting crushed in luggage as happened to me years ago. Be sure to wrap them well as mentioned in previous posts.

Gail

I recommend carrying it off the ship and putting into checked luggage at airport. Less chance of bottles getting crushed in luggage as happened to me years ago. Be sure to wrap them well as mentioned in previous posts.

Gail

Great idea. We had friends who packed in their luggage, and when the got on the dock, they went to retrieve their luggage, only to find someone had taken their suitcase in error. RCI was able to locate the passenger, but had to wait to get the luggage back. All their liquor was in the suitcase and RCI would not deliver it to their home because of the liquor.

What are some good tips for bringing back a bottle or 2 of rum from Puerto Rico? I'm assuming I won't be able to bring it back home in my carryon because of the liquids rule. What's the best way to pack the bottles in my luggage without them breaking? Should I bring some bubble wrap? What works for y'all? Also, can you fly with cigars in your carryon? I would think so since you can fly with cigarettes. I understand if you purchase alcohol on port, the ship will hold it till you leave. That is fine, I want the rum to take home!

If you are flying from San Juan and not changing concourses in Miami or anywhere else you just carry it with you. Duty free at the airport is as cheap as the ship. The store has a bag that you can carry with your bottles. Have done it several times. The last time I carried 4 bottles of rum. No customs Puerto Rico is US. If you buy it on the ship you have to pack it in luggage.

In response to your question in cigars, yes you can bring them and a cutter on board the airplane and also the ship. TSA wont allow torch lighters either in checked or carry on though the cruise ship does allow them. You'll need a regular lighter, which is allowed.

In response to your question in cigars, yes you can bring them and a cutter on board the airplane and also the ship. TSA wont allow torch lighters either in checked or carry on though the cruise ship does allow them. You'll need a regular lighter, which is allowed.

Celebrity lists torch lighters as prohibited:

"Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)"

Be sure to tell Customs how much booze you are carrying. They may want to look at the cigars to make sure they are not Cubans. No problem with having cigars in your carry on. Of course, no lighter.

Cuban cigars are legal now, you can bring them back with you as long as you don't resell them in the US.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/the-new-rules-on-cuban-cigars-19054

I bring extra large zip locks and bubble wrap. Going home, I pack the zip locks with the bottles around the dirty clothes for extra padding.

That is what we have done as well. Can you buy those bags ( the ones the previous poster mentioned XXL?)here in the states and if so where?

That is what we have done as well. Can you buy those bags ( the ones the previous poster mentioned XXL?)here in the states and if so where?

I've gotten them at Target and I can even usually find them at my local grocery store.

If you want to put it in your checked bags you can buy a couple of Rum Runners and decant the rum into those. Very tough.

If you just want Puerto Rican rum the in airport duty free is the best way to go if you carry it on.

51kJpz9RM0L.jpg

Thanks for the great suggestions! I am not flying from Puerto Rico, just stopping there on our first port day. I thought it would be a nice souvenir to get a bottle of rum there! I am flying from Miami to Dallas. I am not worried about the lighters, as I do not smoke the cigars. I am just bringing them back as gifts. I looked into the bottle armor on Amazon but they look like they only fit wine bottles. It would be so much easier if I could just bring the rum on the plane! I don't plan on drinking it till I get home. I know, it's not allowed, just a gripe! I didn't want to buy a bottle at the airport, as that's Miami and that doesn't have the same meaning as buying a bottle in Puerto Rico! I'm happy I found these boards to help prepare for my cruise! I went on 1 cruise when I was 10, and have not been since then! Looking forward to a relaxing week in the Caribbean on what looks like an amazing ship! Ready for a mimosa on my balcony!

I put mine in the extra large zip locks; then wrap each bottle in bubble wrap; then use packing tape and tape the bubble wrap up. I've never had a broken bottle yet. In January I brought back 5 liters (they don't have 5ths) from Grand Cayman (we were there on vacation, not a cruise) and each bottle was packaged that way. I informed Customs in Houston I had 5 bottles of rum in my checked luggage and they sent me on through. We've done it that way for years. Good luck!

Go to amazon and loo for wine skin or airsac one is a bottle shaped plastic with a bubble wrap lining and the other is an air filled bottle bag that also seals. We have both and work great

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
If you want to put it in your checked bags you can buy a couple of Rum Runners and decant the rum into those. Very tough.

If you just want Puerto Rican rum the in airport duty free is the best way to go if you carry it on.

51kJpz9RM0L.jpg

I have used this on different cruise lines and never had any trouble.