No more adult only aft pools?

Havana Staterooms and Suites

• Children must be 12 years of age or older in order to cruise in a Havana stateroom.

Certainly won't completely curtail those little buggers from snorkeling in the water while you try to read, dunk your feet or whisper softly while you enjoy an adult beverage.

First of all, have not read any first hand experience postings of any unruly rug rats in the Havana area on the boards yet, including from Firemanbobswife. Besides, the ones who normally go snorkeling in hot tubs are younger than 12.

Just got back from Splendor and it was a little annoying to have kids in the aft pool, mostly because there were families with small kids who could not swim, so they had inflatable rafts, tubes, etc for them which took up more space in the already cramped pool. I also saw a lot of kids in the hot tubs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm pretty sure that is not allowed at all. Kids have to be potty trained too to my knowledge, no swimmie diapers. No employees were enforcing anything?

I'm pretty sure that is not allowed at all. Kids have to be potty trained too to my knowledge, no swimmie diapers. No employees were enforcing anything?

They weren't that young, just the rafts and things were annoying and no, no one said anything about it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So on the "other" site, people are going crazy saying Carnival is making the aft pools open to children and they won't be adult only anymore, but I can't find any proof. The only thing they keep repeating is that it came from John Heald and it's on Carnival's page. I can't find it anywhere. I know they made the aft adult pool open to everyone while Glory had the Waterworks being installed, but has anyone seen any info that says this will stay permanently or that it is effective on other ships as well? I'm really hoping it's not true.

NOOOOOO, say it isn't true. :mad:

Is the Miracle Serenity area still adult only? Pool is so small and there is no shallow end if I recall right.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Miracle, Pride, Legend, all have adults only Serenity area with a small pool. Glad I will be on the Pride next week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rumor has it they have reversed the change, hopefully the aft pools on the three Dream class ships will remain as they were. However; I wouldn't be surprised if they were slow or lax in this rollback on Dream as the Dream class ships are the ones with just two pools with many more passengers than the ships they succeeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both Dream pools (aft and Lido) had kids in them last week. There were not very many kids on the cruise, but the majority swam in the aft pool rather than the Lido one.

What??? You're not 29 (I thought all women stopped aging at 29.....some kind of magical elixir)??? ;p

Post 653 confirmed that she is holding steady at 39.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I am perfect at 39 so that's where I choose to stay :D. 29 was too young and there was a lot still to be learned. Amazing what another 10 years can do to ya! ;)

Any entertainment company (and Carnival is entertainment) needs to walk a fine line when it comes to enforcing rules through confrontation. Look what confrontation did to United Airlines. The head honcho lost a big promotion. Children where they should not be is not something that should be corrected with an iron hand. If there is no children allowed, but one is in attendance but behaving, it might be better to lean back a bit and let life go on. If the child is a handful, they and the parents should be encouraged to leave.

That said, adult areas should have a screener (similar to a bouncer) to admit people to the serenity deck for example. That person can also be a salesman too. Mentioning in a low pressure manner libations available on the deck, shore excursions, or other ship board activities. And if you are schlemiel that stole my towel, It cost me twenty-two bucks for that threadbare fabric. I hope it was inhabited with fleas and you are scratching like a pooch in the spring.

I am seriously considering a Havana Cabana for a future cruise just to have a little peace and quiet at the pool without young kids and chair hogs.

Any entertainment company (and Carnival is entertainment) needs to walk a fine line when it comes to enforcing rules through confrontation. Look what confrontation did to United Airlines. The head honcho lost a big promotion. Children where they should not be is not something that should be corrected with an iron hand. If there is no children allowed, but one is in attendance but behaving, it might be better [for the cruise line] to lean back a bit and let life go on. If the child is a handful, they and the parents should be encouraged to leave.
[Clarification and emphasis added... I hope they accurately reflect your intended message.]

This is right on target. The cruise line must maintain safety of life and limb, but beyond that they must rely on an expectation that their customers will willingly comply with the rules. This is precisely why claims that, "The cruise line doesn't mind since they don't stop me," are nonsense. Service providers don't "stop" people from breaking the rules because they are reasonably relying on the expectation that mature people will willingly comply.

Deviants in society know that service providers are subject to such practical limitations and exploit the practical limits on the means of enforcement that public relations dictate. They realize that they can "get away with" refusing to comply with whatever rules they don't like, rationalizing it by calling it "working the system" or some such.

We've cultivated a culture of entitlement on one side (the self-indulgent behavior of many people, and neglect of parental responsibilities by many parents) and a culture of enforced permissiveness on the other side (the typical reactions of the general public to the application of rules on individuals by a business, often bordering on mob mentality)

That said, adult areas should have a screener (similar to a bouncer) to admit people to the serenity deck for example. That person can also be a salesman too. Mentioning in a low pressure manner libations available on the deck, shore excursions, or other ship board activities.
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for the screener. Given what you wrote above, it would be pointless to have someone there in an operational enforcement capacity. Perhaps I'm taking too much creative license, but I suppose it would make sense if your intent was to have someone very persistently dog anyone violating the rules with encouragement to do something else (rather than stopping what they're currently doing), so much so that the dogged but friendly/salesy interruptions regarding other activities becomes annoying for the person continuing to violate rules. I suppose that might work.

Hi, we have our first cruise with Carnival upcoming and I have an interest in this topic. One reason we booked the ship (Sunshine) is the large serenity area Our kids are grown and we are not anti family by any means. We took ours along many times when they were younger. Even then we enjoyed the adult areas on ships that had them. RC does not do a very good job of enforcing the adult area restrictions in our opinion, particularly in the hot tubs where it is not uncommon for parents to sit right below the "21+" sign while their 6 year olds dive into the hot tub. One thing that does not help is that they tend to put the adult areas where foot traffic passes through on the way to the main pool. Kids & teens just stop on in. We just like an area where there are no running, jumping, yelling kids to relax in during the day or evening. Don't misunderstand, all of that comes naturally to kids and it is wonderful for them to have fun, but they have the rest of the lido except for the relatively small area reserved for us "old timers" in which to be kids and enjoy themselves. The Sunshine serenity is on the forward deck, but one of the things on our list is to cruise on one of the Carnival ships with the aft serenity area. We love the view from the stern and there are no RC ships with a really good area to hang out back there unless you want to sit next to the flow rider.

We are thinking that this decision comes from the perspective of keeping the staff from having to police the age restrictions than from actual pool usage statistics. In this day, no one wants risk "offending" people, even when what they are being told is completely appropriate. We fully expect RC to follow suit. They sort of unofficially do already on some ships based on our experience. As far as "how much is the pool used?", I think adults tend to use the pools differently than family pools or kids pools. In the adult areas people tend to get in to cool off or refresh and then get back out as opposed to family pools where moms and dads are in the pool playing and splashing with their kids or just keeping an eye on them. If you go into the adult area at any given time you may not see that many people in there, but that does not mean that a lot of them have not used the pool for a period of time.

I have the feeling that if the lines really looked into it they would find that far more people have a negative view of NOT having the adult areas restricted than the converse. There are a relatively few "I will be with my kids, period" or "My kids don't bother anybody" or "I paid for my cruise and I will do what I want" types out there but they are the ones to raise a fuss when things don't suit them. The rest of us just quietly seethe and move on. Hopefully there will be enough push back on all cruise lines that we can preserve at least a portion of the ship for adults.

[Clarification and emphasis added... I hope they accurately reflect your intended message.]

This is right on target. The cruise line must maintain safety of life and limb, but beyond that they must rely on an expectation that their customers will willingly comply with the rules. This is precisely why claims that, "The cruise line doesn't mind since they don't stop me," are nonsense. Service providers don't "stop" people from breaking the rules because they are reasonably relying on the expectation that mature people will willingly comply.

Deviants in society know that service providers are subject to such practical limitations and exploit the practical limits on the means of enforcement that public relations dictate. They realize that they can "get away with" refusing to comply with whatever rules they don't like, rationalizing it by calling it "working the system" or some such.

We've cultivated a culture of entitlement on one side (the self-indulgent behavior of many people, and neglect of parental responsibilities by many parents) and a culture of enforced permissiveness on the other side (the typical reactions of the general public to the application of rules on individuals by a business, often bordering on mob mentality)

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for the screener. Given what you wrote above, it would be pointless to have someone there in an operational enforcement capacity. Perhaps I'm taking too much creative license, but I suppose it would make sense if your intent was to have someone very persistently dog anyone violating the rules with encouragement to do something else (rather than stopping what they're currently doing), so much so that the dogged but friendly/salesy interruptions regarding other activities becomes annoying for the person continuing to violate rules. I suppose that might work.

While there are many people over 21 (adults) these days, there are very few mature adults. More and more follow the "it's all about me and to hell with everyone else" attitude so the current philosophy used by Carnival (and many other service oriented groups) just simply doesn't work with today's mindset.

Hi, we have our first cruise with Carnival upcoming and I have an interest in this topic. One reason we booked the ship (Sunshine) is the large serenity area Our kids are grown and we are not anti family by any means. We took ours along many times when they were younger. Even then we enjoyed the adult areas on ships that had them. RC does not do a very good job of enforcing the adult area restrictions in our opinion, particularly in the hot tubs where it is not uncommon for parents to sit right below the "21+" sign while their 6 year olds dive into the hot tub. One thing that does not help is that they tend to put the adult areas where foot traffic passes through on the way to the main pool. Kids & teens just stop on in. We just like an area where there are no running, jumping, yelling kids to relax in during the day or evening.

I've noticed that on my last few cruises on RC, all of them charters. The Solarium (adults-only) area wasn't separated from the walkways on either side, and everyone has to pass through to get to the main pool area.

Thankfully there have been only about 4 kids on the entire ship during each cruise. Since the main pools were closed -- drained and decked over for a large outdoor stage -- the kids were allowed to use the Solarium area and they were well-behaved, so it wasn't a big deal...but I could see a lot of problems with young'uns intruding into Solarium on a "regular" cruise just due to the location.

The Sunshine serenity is on the forward deck, but one of the things on our list is to cruise on one of the Carnival ships with the aft serenity area. We love the view from the stern and there are no RC ships with a really good area to hang out back there unless you want to sit next to the flow rider.

Great choice. Those ships with the aft Serenity areas are Fantasy-class ships, so they'll be smaller than you're probably used to on Royal, but I really love the aft location on them. Much less wind, much less carryover noise (none, really) from the main pool-party area, and the Serenity hot-tubs there stayed open until midnight. Relaxing in a hot-tub and watching the ship's wake curl away into the distance under moonlit skies really helped "make" that cruise for me. Plus the fact that one night they "forgot" to close the hot-tubs until 2 am. :D

I saw a video today on Carnival's Facebook page showing a kid doing a cannonball into the aft pool from atop a fixed bench. Carnival is celebrating it and using it as an advertisement saying "If you don't yell "cannonball" before you cannonball, is it even a cannonball?" :rolleyes:

Here's a link:

I saw a video today on Carnival's Facebook page showing a kid doing a cannonball into the aft pool from atop a fixed bench. Carnival is celebrating it and using it as an advertisement saying "If you don't yell "cannonball" before you cannonball, is it even a cannonball?" :rolleyes:

Here's a link:

That looks like Vista and that was never an adults only pool.