CPAP machine on cruise tour

miss

Question about carrying a CPAP machine on an Alaska cruise tour. Since it would probably not be safe in a small carry on I was wondering if we could include a regular size piece of luggage as the bag that goes with me in the storage area.

My DH carries mine in his backpack. It's a ResMed that separates in half. I leave the humidifier home with zero side effects. Taking just half and the tubing and mask makes it much easier to carry. I always have an extension cord attached because you never know how far away the outlet might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Question about carrying a CPAP machine on an Alaska cruise tour. Since it would probably not be safe in a small carry on I was wondering if we could include a regular size piece of luggage as the bag that goes with me in the storage area.

On a bus, there would be no problem putting your medical luggage in the storage area.

On a train, there is no such storage area. All regular sized suitcases are trucked to the next destination. They do not travel on the train.

The steward can bring you an industrial extension cord, too. You can request both on the personalized, but I've never had them waiting. I'm happy to leave the humidifier half home because the CPAP is not nearly as bulky for carrying or using.

My husband has carried his in small carry ons for years, several different types of machines and carry ons, all without problems. Many come with their own padded travel case as well. I would not think a full size piece of luggage would either be needed or convenient.

We travel with two CPAP machines as both my husband and I need them. We did a cruise tour in Alaska last year and they opened the luggage area below the bus so we could store our rolling backpacks that we use for our CPAPs, laptops, etc. there. A couple of other people put their larger items down there as well but nothing was packed on top of any of the items, so no worries about damage. On the train both rolling backpacks fit lengthwise under our seat without a problem. However, we were also told we could have store them on the first level as no one was assigned to any of the lower level seats.

European airlines also allow them as additional cabin baggage with a doctor's letter. Although they never ask to see it, it's advisable to have the letter.

We usually check with the airlines if they are not a US carrier.

This is British Airways policy for our flight from Dallas to LHR

• You don't need medical clearance to travel with or use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea.
  • You can use an adaptor to plug your machine into your in-seat power supply where available. However, we recommend using a dry cell battery in case the power point near your seat is not working.
  • The maximum output of our in-seat power supply is 75 Watt. If your machine needs a stronger output the power supply will automatically switch off.
  • If you need to use your CPAP machine on board you can take it with you as an additional item to your hand baggage allowance. However if you don't need to use it on board, it counts towards your hand baggage allowance. Alternatively, you can check it in at no additional charge. Just contact PMCU to authorise this as an additional 'checked baggage' item.

European airlines also allow them as additional cabin baggage with a doctor's letter. Although they never ask to see it, it's advisable to have the letter.

Canadian airlines too, CPAP does not count towards carry on limits.

US, CAD, EURO airlines its basically the same policies in regards to medical devices.

I travel all the time and have never been asked for a doctor's note, although I do carry the CPAP prescription in bag with machine,

Canadian airlines too, CPAP does not count towards carry on limits.

US, CAD, EURO airlines its basically the same policies in regards to medical devices.

I travel all the time and have never been asked for a doctor's note, although I do carry the CPAP prescription in bag with machine,

I don't think the airlines need a prescription. They can clearly see the CPAP. I can't imagine anyone rushing out to buy a CPAP so they can smuggle in on board a flight so they get that extra bag.

Not true. Unless it has changed in the past year, Air Canada most assuredly does NOT let you bring on an additional bag to carry medical equipment either in the plane or checked for medical devices. According to them in the most unfriendly Canadian tone I've ever come across "that is what your carry on case is for". I thought maybe she was just having a bad day so called back three times and got the same answer. Air Canada does not allow for an extra medical bag. Period. Check out their web site. Many European airlines do but not Air Canada.

I really really hate it when people say with authority that you can take this extra bag on an airline and the poor sucker gets to the airport and finds out they can't. Sure, the person who told you yes will not be bothered but what does the guy do with his suitcases and packed carry on with no place to put his medical equipment? He is stuck with no room unless he pays for a third suitcase. Please stop spreading this false statment.

Everybody please call your airline before you believe others. You don't want to get stuck at the airport. For the others, it is the AMERICANS with Disabilities Act not the Whole Wide World with Disabilities Act. Any airlines that allows you the extra bag is doing so as a courtesy. Telling people to bring a doctor's note is ridiculous. Airline policy won't change because someone wrote on a doctor's prescription pad that hey Joe Blow says I can why won't you let me do it? They can see the machine why would they need a note. I have never been asked for a note - ever and have used a CPAP for over 10 years.

I don't think the airlines need a prescription. They can clearly see the CPAP. I can't imagine anyone rushing out to buy a CPAP so they can smuggle in on board a flight so they get that extra bag.

Not true. Unless it has changed in the past year, Air Canada most assuredly does NOT let you bring on an additional bag to carry medical equipment either in the plane or checked for medical devices. According to them in the most unfriendly Canadian tone I've ever come across "that is what your carry on case is for". I thought maybe she was just having a bad day so called back three times and got the same answer. Air Canada does not allow for an extra medical bag. Period. Check out their web site. Many European airlines do but not Air Canada.

I really really hate it when people say with authority that you can take this extra bag on an airline and the poor sucker gets to the airport and finds out they can't. Sure, the person who told you yes will not be bothered but what does the guy do with his suitcases and packed carry on with no place to put his medical equipment? He is stuck with no room unless he pays for a third suitcase. Please stop spreading this false statment.

Everybody please call your airline before you believe others. You don't want to get stuck at the airport. For the others, it is the AMERICANS with Disabilities Act not the Whole Wide World with Disabilities Act. Any airlines that allows you the extra bag is doing so as a courtesy. Telling people to bring a doctor's note is ridiculous. Airline policy won't change because someone wrote on a doctor's prescription pad that hey Joe Blow says I can why won't you let me do it? They can see the machine why would they need a note. I have never been asked for a note - ever and have used a CPAP for over 10 years.

Hmm. Let's see what the Government of Canada has to say about this:

Travelling with a medical device

Check with your doctor before flying to make sure it is safe for you to go through the metal detector at the security checkpoint. Always carry documents that support your medical condition.

Plan ahead

The limit of two carry-on bags does not apply to medical supplies, equipment and mobility aids. Make advance arrangements with your air carrier if you need to transport a battery-powered wheelchair or mobility aid or if you require someone to assist you through the pre-boarding screening checkpoint.

When you go through airport security screening, use the Family-Special Needs security line. Screening officers at these lines are trained to offer additional assistance. Tell the screening officers if you have a medical implant, artificial limb or mobility aid that may trigger or be affected by the magnetic fields of the metal detection equipment.

Pacemaker or other medical device

If you have a pacemaker, insulin pump or other medical device, you should advise the screening officer when you enter the screening area. You should bring medical information with you to verify your medical condition. If additional screening is required, a private search room is available. Further information is available from the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

Travelling with syringes

If your medication requires needles and syringes, carry an explanation from your health care provider or a medical certificate with you. In some countries, a traveller found with needles and syringes and without an adequate explanation could be in serious trouble. Needles and syringes may be difficult to purchase abroad, so take enough to last your entire trip. Needles and syringes are usually permitted in carry-on luggage if needed for medical reasons. Check airline regulations and the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority website before you travel to allow enough time to get the proper documentation as regulations differ from country to country.

Ostomy and pre-boarding screening

Before the screening process begins, inform the screening officer that you have an ostomy, and present him/her with a doctor's note. Although not mandatory, such supporting documentation will facilitate the screening process. If additional screening is required, a private search room is available.

Ostomy supplies (pouches and flanges) can be packed in your carry-on bag and will be screened at the screening checkpoint. It is recommended to prepare your flanges by cutting them in advance for your trip, in case you need them on board the aircraft. Paste tubes are exempt from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.

Other mobility aids and medical items permitted through security screening

• wheelchairs
  • scooters
  • crutches
  • canes
  • walkers
  • prosthetic devices
  • casts
  • support braces
  • support appliances
  • service animals
  • apnea monitors
  • orthopedic shoes
  • exterior medical devices
  • assistive/adaptive equipment
  • augmentation devices
  • continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines & respirators (water in CPAP machines is exempt from the liquid restrictions)
  • hearing aids
  • cochlear implants
  • tools for wheelchair disassembly/reassembly
  • personal supplemental oxygen
  • CO2 personal oxygen concentrators
  • tools for prosthetic devices
  • medications
  • all diabetes-related medication, equipment and supplies
  • Braille note takers
  • slate and stylus
  • any other disability-related equipment and associated supplies

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medical-device

*gasp*

Previous statements were actually factual! Omg

I'm a long time CPAP user with something over thirty cruises to my credit, all without the slightest problem from either the airlines or cruise lines. Sometimes the TSA agents spend a little extra time looking the machine over, but that is about it. The current machine is a dream station. I pack the whole thing as well as a 15 amp extension cord and a three prong cube with three outlets. I recently bought a small carry-on with wheels that holds the equipment nicely along with compter and kindle. Sleep well and Bon Voyage.

Let's also check what Air Canada has to say about this issue. A search that took me a grand total of 10 seconds:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/carry-on.html

Medical or mobility devices

The following items are allowed at all times, in addition to your carry-on allowance:

• Mobility aids (e.g. braces, cane, crutches, walker, communication device*) or other special need items
  • Tools of any size which are required by a passenger with special needs who is travelling with a mobility aid
  • Battery-powered medical equipment (such as CPAP and sleep apnea devices) and Personal Oxygen Concentrators
  • Medication in its original, labelled container
  • Syringes or hypodermic needles for personal medical use (e.g. Epipen), provided the needle guards are intact, and that they are accompanied by the prescription medication with a printed label identifying the medication name and the issuing medical office or pharmacy.
  • Container carrying life sustaining items

*Device that helps a passenger communicate (e.g. augmentative and alternate communication (AAC) device).

------------------

I've carried my CPAP on a number of international flights on various airlines, including Air Canada. No one ever questioned it. However mine is not battery operated, didn't even know there was such a thing!

All I can tell you is when I tried to do that, at that time, Air Canada did not allow it according to the phone person and their website. Maybe instead of whipping out something for today you could whip out what was said 5 or 10 years ago when I had the issue.

I'm happy for you that "gasp" you feel the need to be rude. Good for you. Demeaning people must be something you enjoy. I still stand with other countries do not have to follow US laws. They do it as a courtesy. Canada clearly changed their law. Why would any other country have to abide by a US law? Over the past few years many more people have started using CPAPs so maybe different countries have incorporated that law for those and other necessary medical devices.

I stand by - check your individual airline rules to make sure you are allowed this extra bag. Just like 2 years ago suitcases size were larger then they are today and the definition of carry on items have changed.

Who knows, maybe Air Canada got enough complaints that they changed it. It was around 10 years ago and GASP things do change. Now stop being a jerk and accept that people other than you might have had a different experience. If you think anyone would smuggle a CPAP on board just so they can have an extra bag to carry it well..... I can't imagine anyone going out and buying one just to do so. Also, you do understand that different countries have different rules (even different states) and I have never ever seen my prescription for my CPAP. My insurance just delivers the machine.

I also have been on a few cruises and I have a DreamStation just like you. So what? I've traveled to Australia and Europe too. So what? When I have traveled I have run into the situation of them not accepting an additional medical bag. Prove me wrong about MY experience and I'll gladly take back what I said. Wait? You can't? Ohhh...... I find it so strange they always call rude travelers Ugly Americans when in fact those people are not always Americans, now are they? p.s. I am both an American and a Canadian. I know exactly how my Canadian friends and relatives talk about Americans.

A little further down the page on Air Canada

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/medical-mobility/portable-battery-powered-medical-devices.html

Advance Notice and Medical Approval

If you need to use a battery-powered medical device during flight, you must contact Air Canada Reservations at least 48 hours prior to departure.

Medical approval to travel is required for some devices (e.g. ventilator).

• No medical approval is required for customers travelling with a CPAP or BPAP machine that is required for the treatment of sleep apnea only. However, you must contact Air Canada Reservations if you plan on bringing the machine on board with you, even if you will not be using it.

This rule is really unclear as it does not mention electrical powered devices. Perhaps the concern in this case is lithium batteries?

The bottom line is to always check with the airline if a non US carrier.

All I can tell you is when I tried to do that, at that time, Air Canada did not allow it according to the phone person and their website. Maybe instead of whipping out something for today you could whip out what was said 5 or 10 years ago when I had the issue.

I'm happy for you that "gasp" you feel the need to be rude. Good for you. Demeaning people must be something you enjoy. I still stand with other countries do not have to follow US laws. They do it as a courtesy. Canada clearly changed their law. Why would any other country have to abide by a US law? Over the past few years many more people have started using CPAPs so maybe different countries have incorporated that law for those and other necessary medical devices.

I stand by - check your individual airline rules to make sure you are allowed this extra bag. Just like 2 years ago suitcases size were larger then they are today and the definition of carry on items have changed.

Who knows, maybe Air Canada got enough complaints that they changed it. It was around 10 years ago and GASP things do change. Now stop being a jerk and accept that people other than you might have had a different experience. If you think anyone would smuggle a CPAP on board just so they can have an extra bag to carry it well..... I can't imagine anyone going out and buying one just to do so. Also, you do understand that different countries have different rules (even different states) and I have never ever seen my prescription for my CPAP. My insurance just delivers the machine.

I also have been on a few cruises and I have a DreamStation just like you. So what? I've traveled to Australia and Europe too. So what? When I have traveled I have run into the situation of them not accepting an additional medical bag. Prove me wrong about MY experience and I'll gladly take back what I said. Wait? You can't? Ohhh...... I find it so strange they always call rude travelers Ugly Americans when in fact those people are not always Americans, now are they? p.s. I am both an American and a Canadian. I know exactly how my Canadian friends and relatives talk about Americans.

lol. Really? You were totally rude first haha.

But I do accept your apology now that you have been proven wrong. Please research first in the future "before spreading false statements"

;)

Edited by bamelin

A little further down the page on Air Canada

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/medical-mobility/portable-battery-powered-medical-devices.html

Advance Notice and Medical Approval

If you need to use a battery-powered medical device during flight, you must contact Air Canada Reservations at least 48 hours prior to departure.

Medical approval to travel is required for some devices (e.g. ventilator).

• No medical approval is required for customers travelling with a CPAP or BPAP machine that is required for the treatment of sleep apnea only. However, you must contact Air Canada Reservations if you plan on bringing the machine on board with you, even if you will not be using it.

This rule is really unclear as it does not mention electrical powered devices. Perhaps the concern in this case is lithium batteries?

The bottom line is to always check with the airline if a non US carrier.

Air Canada and all Canadian airlines allows CPAP devices and they do not count against carry on limits. It is a CATSA rule (our version of TSA).

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/medication-and-medical-items#requireditems

The call ahead/Advance notice clause is to do with lithium battery powered medical devices.

Edited by bamelin