Same day - get off one HAL ship and then get on another one

OlsSalt

Bit the bullet today and signed up to take the Maasdam back to San Diego via Panama after getting off the Rotterdam Voyage of the Vikings in Boston. Several others on the VOV roll-call are doing the same thing. Any excuse not to have to fly home works for me - even 18 more days onboard a ship.

For those who have gotten off one HAL ship and then re-embarked on another HAL ship on the same day in the same port, what should we expect to happen?

Or do they get treated as two totally different cruises, which in fact they are. Any luggage transfers from ship to ship, or do we just get in line and re-embark like a brand new passenger on the Maasdam?

Thanks.

We have done this in Fort Lauderdale.

You will have to clear customs with your luggage and then go to your next HAL check-in. It was two different cruises.

The only hassle was finding a porter willing to transport luggage from one terminal to another.

For a back to back if it is a US port of entry you have to clear immigrations and the ship usually has to have a zero passenger count on board as was Australia. We did a Boston to Montreal and then Montreal to Boston for one back to back and Sydney Australia to Auckland New Zealand and then Auckland New Zealand to Sydney Australia. We didn't have to take our luggage off although both times we had to change rooms. We had to get new key cards.

What about back to back cruises on the same vessel? I presume we do not have to pack but what is the typical protocol?

We have done many back-to-back and Collector Cruises where we stayed on the same ship.

You do not have to pack anything. You will get a letter -- usually last full day of the first segment explaining what to do on turn-around day. You will have to go through immigration if your turn-around port is in the USA. And you will have to wait until the ship goes down to zero count before you can get back on.

What about back to back cruises on the same vessel? I presume we do not have to pack but what is the typical protocol?

We did a back to back (not a Collectors cruise) that changed in Fort Lauderdale and kept the same cabin, but there was some transition protocol we had to honor - either stay on the ship I believe in a confined area (the showroom?) for the time between final disembarkation call and embarkation of the new group of passengers.

So it was either take a shore excursion, or leave the ship and not come back until it was time again for embarkation - somewhere around 9:30 am to 11:30 am as I recall. I am fuzzy about the details as we opted to to just get off and walk around the port - not much going on, but did find a few things to interest us for a few hours.

At least on that back to back on the same ship we did not have to worry about trundling our luggage around for a few hours. This time from old ship to new ship, luggage handling looks like the biggest challenge once we leave customs but not yet ready to embark on the new one.

Anyone familiar with the new Boston cruise terminal to tell what we can do while we wait it out there?

OlsSalt: "new" Boston cruise terminal? I am not aware of a new one. The one that existed for my 2016 VOV is a very large cruise terminal, large as in long, that accommodates more than one vessel. Both Maasdam and Rotterdam would likely be docked near each other at that terminal.

The terminal is located in an industrial type area and there was nothing close that would be of interest to a visitor. I believe it would take some transportation to get away from that area to an area that would have interest for a visitor.

OlsSalt: "new" Boston cruise terminal? I am not aware of a new one. The one that existed for my 2016 VOV is a very large cruise terminal, large as in long, that accommodates more than one vessel. Both Maasdam and Rotterdam would likely be docked near each other at that terminal.

The terminal is located in an industrial type area and there was nothing close that would be of interest to a visitor. I believe it would take some transportation to get away from that area to an area that would have interest for a visitor.

Right "new" is a relative term - speaking of their recent renovations completed in 2015: they do now brag about some activities close by and access to the SilverLine transit. Though in our case, we will be hauling luggage so we won't be wandering much. Doubt if they offer baggage storage but we can look for it and then spend the rest of the day before final embarkation call visiting Boston again.

"In 2010, the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport), which owns and operates Flynn Cruiseport Boston, invested $11 million to renovate its main terminal, also known as Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. In February 2015, renovations to the second terminal were completed. The $3.2 million project included improved ventilation, heating, lighting, additional outlets for power and data to facilitate ticketing and baggage functions, new restrooms, and new storefront installations to provide more daylight into the existing space."

OlsSalt,

While Boston's terminal is not as modern in appearance as those in Port Everglades, the facilities for guests were very good and the Port Agency's staff are very guest oriented and very helpful. Expect an excellent experience in your transfer from Rotterdam to Maasdam.

OlsSalt,

While Boston's terminal is not as modern in appearance as those in Port Everglades, the facilities for guests were very good and the Port Agency's staff are very guest oriented and very helpful. Expect an excellent experience in your transfer from Rotterdam to Maasdam.

Thank you for the good report. Having an excellent experience going from small HAL to even smaller HAL ..... will be a given. Only thing missing in this Maasdam Panama extension is a stop at HMC.

OlsSalt, enjoy your two great cruises!

We will be in Boston at the cruise terminal in about two weeks on Veendam. You should be able to get your luggage and wheel (or porter) it over to Maasdam and drop it with the porters there (with correct luggage tags of course).

To get into town (if you want to) taxi or Uber is available. Seems like if you get a transfer to Feneuil hall you will fill up the morning in a pleasant way, then come back and check in to Maasdam when you feel like it.

All the best!

OlsSalt, enjoy your two great cruises!

We will be in Boston at the cruise terminal in about two weeks on Veendam. You should be able to get your luggage and wheel (or porter) it over to Maasdam and drop it with the porters there (with correct luggage tags of course).

To get into town (if you want to) taxi or Uber is available. Seems like if you get a transfer to Feneuil hall you will fill up the morning in a pleasant way, then come back and check in to Maasdam when you feel like it.

All the best!

Thanks for the tips. I wonder when the Maasdam will start receiving luggage.

I recall Canada Place in Vancouver took the luggage as soon as you showed up, even though official boarding was a few hours later. It would be great if this is the case in Boston because that would free us up, for some in-town sight seeing. And just make it back for the life-boat drill and then away we go again.

What do you think about the SilverLine connections they say are close to the port?

Memo to self: (Remember to take all valuables in a separate back-pack)

We and you Will need to get our bags go through immigration and then retag the bags with the Massdam tags drop off the bags and wait till about 11:30.

If bags can be securely dropped off, to be later loaded on the ship - property tagged then the actual wait for the embarkation time won'd be a problem since then we can be out and about.

How many days at sea will you have clocked in by then. Can hardly wait to hear more of your stories, sailing away. Looking at your upcoming cruises, it looks like you will never getting off for almost two years! Tell me more. Or shall I wait to read about this sea adventure of yours in the Guiness Book of World Records!

If bags can be securely dropped off, to be later loaded on the ship - property tagged then the actual wait for the embarkation time won'd be a problem since then we can be out and about.

How many days at sea will you have clocked in by then. Can hardly wait to hear more of your stories, sailing away. Looking at your upcoming cruises, it looks like you will never getting off for almost two years! Tell me more. Or shall I wait to read about this sea adventure of yours in the Guiness Book of World Records!

9- 9:30 will not be a problem to drop them off.

We are on the Amsterdam tonight in Barcelona.

9- 9:30 will not be a problem to drop them off.

We are on the Amsterdam tonight in Barcelona.

Perfect - on both counts. Did you ever try the hot chocolate at the Barcelona Chocolate museum - you have to practically drink it ....... with a knife and fork. Enjoy finding your way back to Boston come August.

What do you think about the SilverLine connections they say are close to the port?

Check out "Tom's port guide" for Boston. Tom says public transit is available but you will need to walk to the Boston Design Center to catch a bus. With time being so precious only you can judge if that is worth doing.

All the best! Arie

Is there any chance that HAL might have a transfer for you from one ship to the next? I was on a Princess cruise ship in March and another PAX told me that they were changing ships and that Princess had a van to transfer them. Could HAL have the same? Maybe call HAL and ask?