FCO ATM's

TMaine

Curious what people's experiences are with using the ATM's at Rome's FCO airport? I will often get euro's at the airport upon arrival but have not tried this at FCO before. Thanks!

done it many times. Never had a problem

My only caution about the ATMs (and ATMs in general) is to only use bank-owned ATMs. You certainly want to avoid many of the private ATMs...such as Travelex where you may lose 5% plus on your exchange rate. The bank ATMs are generally part of the Visa International network and you get the current wholesale rate of exchange less a 1% international bank fee (this is built into the exchange rate). The other ATM issue is your own bank which may charge fees (we only bank with institutions that charge zero fees). There is also a daily withdrawal limit (this is set by your bank and the European bank) which does vary. But we have always been able to withdraw 200€ without any issues...and often we can get 400€.

Hank

Beware of DCC -- Dynamic Currency Conversion. https://www.firstdata.com/downloads/marketing-merchant/fd_dynamiccurrencyconversion_ss.pdf

I first noticed it at the ATM when we flew into Venice last October. It gives you the option to do the dollar/euro conversion for you. Always say NO and accept the charge in the local currency and let your bank do the conversion for you. Many banks do not charge conversion fees, so you get the interbank rate for the day/time of transaction.

Additionally, some merchants will do DCC at the point of sale, so check your slip before you sign it to make sure they charged you in the local currency and did not do the DCC for you. It will cost you if they do.

We first discovered it in Ireland around 10 years ago, and it is making its way to the mainland of Europe. Additionally, when I put a deposit for a tour in New Zealand, they gave me the option to do the conversion for me. Always say NO and let your bank do the conversion for you.

If you click on the option for them to do the conversion for you, it will cost an additional 3-4% for your transaction.