Passports...Still Waiting

Libbywhite14

We (myself, husband, and 2 daughters) applied for our passports mid-March. We cruise on May 5. Still waiting on them - when we applied they said processing time was about 4 weeks, but now online it's saying routine processing is 6-8 weeks. It would cost over $300 to put in "expedite requests" for all 4 of us! :( This upcoming Saturday will be the 4 week mark.

I know we can cruise with BC's and ID's, but I wasn't born in the U.S., and to apply for a new Consular Report of Birth Abroad for myself, the processing time is 4-6 weeks!! So I wouldn't even have time if I wanted to just sail with the BC and ID. I'm totally in a pickle now.

I mean, if we HAVE to, we'll pay the $300. Thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and if anyone has any advice. I'm thinking I'll wait another week or so, and then if the status is still "processing", we'll go ahead and pay the $$ to get them expedited.

TIA!

I just had this happen. Called last week, on Tuesday, because I cruise this coming Saturday. I ended up paying the expedited fee & mine arrived yesterday. However, when I called, they still would not guarantee they would accept my rush request, then added that If they do accept the request, it could still take 2-3 weeks to finalize & arrive. At a minimum I would call & pay the fee for them to Overnight it to you once they finish processing.

I just had this happen. Called last week, on Tuesday, because I cruise this coming Saturday. I ended up paying the expedited fee & mine arrived yesterday. However, when I called, they still would not guarantee they would accept my rush request, then added that If they do accept the request, it could still take 2-3 weeks to finalize & arrive. At a minimum I would call & pay the fee for them to Overnight it to you once they finish processing.

This was predicated in January. There are a lot of unfilled government positions, and a hiring freeze that prevents back filling employees that left. I put in for mine in December, and had it in my hands less than 4 weeks later.

Since each application is it's own entity so to speak could you pay the expedited fee just for yours and use BC/Gov't ID for everyone else as a backup if theirs don't come in?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking we may do. I just worry that if something happens and we need to fly out of another country, I'd be the only one able to fly. :/

Ok, so now my husband's status has changed for his and it says he should receive it by the 19th. Mine and the girls' are still just "being processed". Do renewals take less time than issuing first time passports? We are going to call and ask, but in the meantime, has anyone had a situation with a renewal and first times and did they come at different times? We mailed all the applications on the same day.

Even when the applications are sent on same day the passports are not always returned in same day. One time when my husband and I were both renewing ours, mine arrived to me but my husband's was still "being processed". It took a call to a supervisor to get his done and mailed to us.

When you call, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Even when the applications are sent on same day the passports are not always returned in same day. One time when my husband and I were both renewing ours, mine arrived to me but my husband's was still "being processed". It took a call to a supervisor to get his done and mailed to us.

So true, my wife and I sent them together but they are dated a day apart so got split in the process. Which can happen when thousands of documents are being handled.

Exactly so. My husband & I mailed in our renewal applications the same day. His basically went right through, mine took an extra week. Who knows why?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking we may do. I just worry that if something happens and we need to fly out of another country, I'd be the only one able to fly. :/

Millions of US citizens travel without passports on closed loop cruises every year without issue so at least the odds are in your favor. As a back up plan it's definitely doable.

This won't help your application but, an article about recent delays...

Spike in passport applications extends wait times

http://www.9news.com/news/local/verify/passport-applications/420178636

I think the biggest reason for the spike is it's been about 10 years since passports have started being required in a lot of places they weren't before. There was quite an upsurge in initial passport applications back then, causing delays.

And now, they're all up for renewal.

That's why we applied early for our renewal, to be sure we got it.

I think the biggest reason for the spike is it's been about 10 years since passports have started being required in a lot of places they weren't before. There was quite an upsurge in initial passport applications back then, causing delays.

That may be the cause but a lot of people were panicked into buying passports 10 years ago, since the initial word was everyone would need them to get back into the country and there would be no exceptions. Once the DHS regulations went into place it was obvious that there were exceptions so it's probable that many who obtained passports 10 years ago don't need to or choose not to renew them today. With the published wait times for passports applying in mid-March for a May 5 departure is within the bounds of reason. We're still a couple weeks away from May 5 and I'm not sure that if I were in OP's shoes that I would pony up an extra $300 at this point to expedite the passports (except for his own, since he has a Consular Report of Birth Abroad which was sent in with the application and he would need to obtain another original to use for the cruise).

Exactly! Mine expires in May and I'm cruising this weekend so I didn't want to take a chance and not have it back, so I will renew when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To anyone following, we paid to expedite mine and the girls' last week and the status just changed today and they should b mailed by April 21. I would definitely recommend expediting them if you are still waiting. We finally got through to someone last week that told us without expediting ours, they would have been mailed by May 8, which would have been too late!!

To anyone following, we paid to expedite mine and the girls' last week and the status just changed today and they should b mailed by April 21. I would definitely recommend expediting them if you are still waiting. We finally got through to someone last week that told us without expediting ours, they would have been mailed by May 8, which would have been too late!!

So glad you decided to expedite, with good news.

Let us know when they finally arrive. Good luck!