Tipping at ports

geckoaz

Some of them are very assertive in "suggesting" you tip them. We've had one person turn their hand over palm up while we were still getting our luggage situated. In New Orleans, two cruises in a row we had the same porter tell us that we would not see our bags again until he personally delivered them to our room. We knew this was BS as they are not Carnival employees and it is the Carnival employees that deliver them inside the ship. My fear is that if the porters are not tipped well enough my luggage will be listed on the little flyer that goes around the first few nights of a cruise asking everyone to look for the "missing luggage".

Some of them are very assertive in "suggesting" you tip them. We've had one person turn their hand over palm up while we were still getting our luggage situated. In New Orleans' date=' two cruises in a row we had the same porter tell us that we would not see our bags again until he personally delivered them to our room. We knew this was BS as they are not Carnival employees and it is the Carnival employees that deliver them inside the ship. My fear is that if the porters are not tipped well enough my luggage will be listed on the little flyer that goes around the first few nights of a cruise asking everyone to look for the "missing luggage".[/quote']

We sailed out of NOLA in Jan and dh was annoyed because as the porter was taking his bag he had his other hand out ready to grab a tip. I think he tipped $1 or $2 for one suitcase and it showed up just fine to our cabin.

I guess Im in the minority. When they take my bag I say thank you. Most of these guys are union employees and are paid well.

If they make a comment about my bags not showing up I snap a picture of them with my phone and say thank you.

I will not be bullied. $10 for 2 bags. Are you serious? They're just lifting the luggage and placing it on a cart. Less than 3 seconds of work. HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Havent tipped $1-$2 in decades😁 ports same as airports, $5 per checked bag, I do $3 per smaller. So if 2- 25" bags and a 21" I give them $13-15. Perhaps because I spent years travelling for work, I tend to appreciate service workers quite a bit. Tough job and people are pretty damn rude to them. Dee

1 to 2 bucks a bag should be just fine no matter what size it is. The only port I have ever had an issue in was Miami so aggressive in telling you pay or you wont see that bag for a week. bunch of thug dock porters who are the same group who want to be so helpful when you return. call it 1.5 per bag and be done with it.

We typically tip $5 for what the two of us (older, out of shape folks) are physically able to transport ourselves from where we park to the porter. (If we have to call a porter to us, or drop our bags off with the porter at the curb, because we've brought more than we can transport ourselves, then we'd have to adjust the tip upward.) I don't think about it per bag for the same reason most folks say "depending on weight". Sometimes we find it easier to transport the same amount of things in two smaller bags instead of one larger bag. Since it is explicitly easier, clearly that doesn't warrant a higher tip.

$1-2 per bag is standard.....no more than that! Most ports specifically tell you NOT to tip...but most do, anyway. Don't "over tip"...$1-2 per bag is ample.

I will "over tip" if I want. You are not my mother. :mad: