Kevin's $0.02 on the Steakhouse

KevnSue

Comparing the Steakhouse to the MDR or Outback is like apples and oranges. At Outback I get an 18 year old server who knows the menu, and that's it. At the MDR, my server is too busy now to interact with us. At the steakhouse I get amazing service from someone who can make suggestions and dotes on us. I'll take the steakhouse any day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't believe anyone compared the SERVICE at the Steakhouse to Outback. The comparison was the quality/taste of the steaks. Just for the record, I have had many young servers who did a fabulous job in many different types of dining settings. Then again, I don't need to be "doted" on at the expense of other diners.

When we did behind the scenes tour. The final tour stop was the steakhouse. While we were there, we met the chef that prepares the steaks. And they explained to us,that the steaks at the steakhouse come from Colorado. The

beef is grass-fed. The cows get massages. They listen to soothing music. When it is the cows time to go. They are individually brought into a room. So no other cows can hear them. They don't want the other cows to hear the one being put down. Because they get nervous and tense up.And that causes the red blood cells to increase and make the meat tough. The meat is also wet aged vs. dry aged. Our particular Chef said they only use salt pepper. That's it no other seasonings.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text

That sums it up for us too. DW and I have eaten one meal in a specialty restaurant (the Italian one on NCL) and it was okay for what it was but it wasn't great. The chicken parmesan was excellent but the pasta was overcooked and in what tasted like tomato soup. We had chicken parmesan on Fascination and it was easily as good as what we had paid for on NCL, and maybe even a little better since we didn't pay extra for it. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on our Glory cruise and I am contemplating doing the Steakhouse, but I may just stay true to form and get her a Guy's Burger;).

A couple cruises ago, my kids wanted to go to the steakhouse.

I told them...how about we go to the MDR and you can order a steak there. And I will save that money and we will go to the Brazilian Steakhouse a couple months after the cruise. Our local Chama Gacuha is $26.50 at lunch. Plus tax and tip puts it right at $35. What a coincidence!

" The cows get massages. They listen to soothing music. When it is the cows time to go. They are individually brought into a room. So no other cows can hear them. They don't want the other cows to hear the one being put down. Because they get nervous and tense up.And that causes the red blood cells to increase and make the meat tough."

This sounds like a whole lot of bull. I have been in the restaurant business for 40 years, never heard of anything like this. BTW, to the OP who thinks he knows steaks and then talks about Costco having good steaks, oh please. The MDR steaks are not grilled to order and even with the $20 upcharge, they are not the same steaks. Outback is a mediocre chain, nothing to compare to the Prime steaks in the Steakhouse

I left out the part about them getting to drink beer too.I forgot about that.

If you been in the restaurant for 40 years you probably should have heard of Kobe beef by now. And the Wagyu cattle. It's been pretty popular here in the States since the nineties.

" The cows get massages. They listen to soothing music. When it is the cows time to go. They are individually brought into a room. So no other cows can hear them. They don't want the other cows to hear the one being put down. Because they get nervous and tense up.And that causes the red blood cells to increase and make the meat tough."

This sounds like a whole lot of bull. I have been in the restaurant business for 40 years, never heard of anything like this. BTW, to the OP who thinks he knows steaks and then talks about Costco having good steaks, oh please. The MDR steaks are not grilled to order and even with the $20 upcharge, they are not the same steaks. Outback is a mediocre chain, nothing to compare to the Prime steaks in the Steakhouse

The $20 upcharge steaks are the same as the Steakhouse. They even have to go up to get it. I had this very discussion with one of the Headwaiters we had a few times.

As a background, I am a bit of a steak aficionado; not a snob and not a food critic, but I know my way around steaks (both in restaurants and at home: if you see your local Costco doing one of their Road Shows, pick up one: occasionally we've scored a tomahawk rib eye that was absolutely amazing!). I've been to some good steak places, both chain (Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc.) and independents (Lou & Mickey's in San Diego's Gaslamp is a favorite as well as 555 East in Long Beach, CA, The Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA, etc.). To me, Outback is okay if there is not a better choice around. Note: I refer to Flemings and Ruth's Chris frequently in this post as I recall reading a thread where these were referenced.

I was looking forward to the Steakhouse. We took advantage of the first night booking special getting a half-priced bottle of wine (got the 2011 Duckhorn Paraduxx). I was optimistic going in as I had seen others compare their experience akin to Flemings or Ruth's Chris (I prefer the independents: while the steaks are good at Fleming's, I find them to be overpriced).

I would have to rate the Steakhouse on the Magic barely a little better than Outback and certainly not on par with Fleming's or Ruth's Chris. First, the decor was rather bland not what I expected for a "premium experience." My Rib Eye was overwhelmed by the four-spice rub they used (it was good, but the chef needs to learn that the rub is supposed to bring out and accent the flavor of the meat; not create a whole new taste) and the New York my wife ordered was pretty uneventful: good but not great.

And no, this is not a $35 steak dinner: you have to remember that this cost is above and beyond the price you already paid as part of your cruise.

Also, I later found out that some of the steaks from the Steakhouse could be ordered in the MDR for a $20 premium. Haven't tried that route yet, but if I decide to, will add to this post.

Was it worth it? I think the $35 premium is about as much as it is worth (but only barely) and I wouldn't waste your money of you are on a tight budget. But as an alternative to the MDR, it's an option.

Get over yourself. The filet is great.

Passions for steak abounds. Last upscale steakhouse we splurged on was Delmonico's in LV. $250 withe only a glass of wine each. Unbelievably poor service. And, though subjective, we thought the steaks were just not good. We passed on Fahrenheit 555 on Vista but were mightily pleased with Crown Grill on Regal Princess. Amazing service, juicy and tender steaks and, seating in the mirrored, floor-to-celing wine room. Unforgettable.

I just booked steakhouse on Miracle in June. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As a background, I am a bit of a steak aficionado; not a snob and not a food critic, but I know my way around steaks (both in restaurants and at home: if you see your local Costco doing one of their Road Shows, pick up one: occasionally we've scored a tomahawk rib eye that was absolutely amazing!). I've been to some good steak places, both chain (Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc.) and independents (Lou & Mickey's in San Diego's Gaslamp is a favorite as well as 555 East in Long Beach, CA, The Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA, etc.). To me, Outback is okay if there is not a better choice around. Note: I refer to Flemings and Ruth's Chris frequently in this post as I recall reading a thread where these were referenced.

I was looking forward to the Steakhouse. We took advantage of the first night booking special getting a half-priced bottle of wine (got the 2011 Duckhorn Paraduxx). I was optimistic going in as I had seen others compare their experience akin to Flemings or Ruth's Chris (I prefer the independents: while the steaks are good at Fleming's, I find them to be overpriced).

I would have to rate the Steakhouse on the Magic barely a little better than Outback and certainly not on par with Fleming's or Ruth's Chris. First, the decor was rather bland not what I expected for a "premium experience." My Rib Eye was overwhelmed by the four-spice rub they used (it was good, but the chef needs to learn that the rub is supposed to bring out and accent the flavor of the meat; not create a whole new taste) and the New York my wife ordered was pretty uneventful: good but not great.

And no, this is not a $35 steak dinner: you have to remember that this cost is above and beyond the price you already paid as part of your cruise.

Also, I later found out that some of the steaks from the Steakhouse could be ordered in the MDR for a $20 premium. Haven't tried that route yet, but if I decide to, will add to this post.

Was it worth it? I think the $35 premium is about as much as it is worth (but only barely) and I wouldn't waste your money of you are on a tight budget. But as an alternative to the MDR, it's an option.

We tried it once, basically because of the fake stigma that it was something we needed to try.

I didn't find the service (at the time) to be any different than what I got in the MDR. It was just a lot less people (in fact the place was empty). They still served me from the same direction, on round plates, using metallic silverware.

The food? Certainly not worth the $30 (at the time) surcharge.

Usually I would say I liked doing it just to see what "everyone" was talking about, but in this instance, I wished I could take it back.

And once they dropped the Porterhouse,that return trip was never going to happen. Nothing on the menu is worth a $35 upcharge.

I've read that CCL spends the least amount on food compared to the other cruise lines and the number I remember is in the neighborhood of $11 per person per day (but my memory could be off, of course). (I don't think that amount includes the food in the Steakhouse.)

Last I read it was still less than $10 per diem that they spent on food on their customer.

Last I read it was still less than $10 per diem that they spent on food on their customer.

In the subsequent article that I linked to it was just over $10 for CCL but that was in 2013. My take away was that none of the mainstream lines spends too much on food on a pp/pd basis. Of course what you do with it after you buy it makes the difference. On my two cruises with CCL I've been quite satisfied with the MDR.

I basically said the same thing in my Vista report. I won't be going back. If I want a good steak I will pay the $20 in the MDR. In fact, the one I got in the MDR for the upcharge was better than the same steak I had in the Steakhouse. Why? I haven't a clue.

Just goes to show $15 goes toward the tip. They can't charge that in the MDR, cause you are already tipping. But they don't service me 7 times in the SH what they do in the MDR. And then some guilt you into tipping additional.

The oddest thing was reading here once by someone who worked in the SH was they don't get tips at all. They all get a flat rate per hour.

Every time the carnival Freedom pulls into the Galveston Port. Which is every 7 days or so. They spent $325,000 on food and beverages per trip. I guess you could try to do the math on that. Carnival makes every single thing on that ship from scratch. Only thing that comes pre-made is ice cream.

We're going to try the Vista Steak house because we have $100 credit from booking a previous cruise. :) Not worried, as we like Outback and Longhorn. As long as they can cook a steak medium well, it should be good.

Sorry, but apparently you do not like good steaks. Medium well, A-1 or Heinz 57, should make it perfect. You can mask the taste of a good steak. Outback,you think they serve good meat, seriously?

We're going to try the Vista Steak house because we have $100 credit from booking a previous cruise. :) Not worried, as we like Outback and Longhorn. As long as they can cook a steak medium well, it should be good.

If you like an Outback or Longhorn steak, and now picture a setting that is a lot nicer than those restaurants, you will have a nice evening....Enjoy your trip (y)

I've eaten in various Carnival Steakhouses maybe 20 - 25 times or so, usually once a cruise. All my experiences except my most recent were great - I've enjoyed the food, esp. the filet mignon, which reminds me of a triple trimmed filet that I order from Omaha Steaks. Enjoyed the rack of lamb as well. For appetizers, my favorites are the beef carpaccio, shrimp cocktail, and tuna tatare.

It's not a Peter Luger's, or an excellent NY or Chicago Steakhouse, but it's certainly better than a Ruth's or Smith and Wollensky. Don't even mention Outback's..

My one sub par experience was with the service on my most recent Conquest cruise earlier this month. I actually started a thread about it when I got home.

Put House of Prime Rib in SF on your list. It's the only place I'd ever eat prime rib.

Thanks for your review and input.

As someone who loves ribeye, we only eat steak out at Ruth's Chris, Roy's (Vegas) or Morton's. If it's not one of these places, I'm grilling it at home.

And Costco's selection is always great. We buy the whole roast and slice our own steaks. A little kosher salt and fresh black pepper it all that's needed. Of course a good Napa Cab to wash it all down too.

For $70 (dinner for 2) we'll skip the steak house and instead choose Chef's Table for a few bucks more.