Please answer asap - Holland America (Eurodam) okay for people in their 40's?

mechaiah

OP, these are the groups listed in CJcruzer's thread on the Eurodam for June 2017:

Eurodam : 27 May 2017 - 03 June 2017 : Alaska : Chumley's Bear cruises group

Eurodam : 17 June 2017 - 24 June 2017 : Alaska : NW Anesthesia seminar group

Eurodam : 24 June 2017 - 01 July 2017 : Alaska : Heritage Singers, Inspiration cruises group

This is very helpful information....to the OP, you may want to avoid the June 24th sailing as this is notoriously a very large group and your dining room hours MAY be drastically cut to accomodate this large group.

If you search the threads on here you will see some threads about this.

Port tips to be more active: Be sure to hike out to the old cemetery at the far end of Skagway and up to the waterfall, after learning about the Yukon Gold Rush. You will get a kick out of seeing the headstones one you learn about the characters. And taking the White Pass RR trip.

Another active cruise tip: prepare to run back and forth and back and forth from each side of the ship, when visiting Glacier Bay. Awesome.

Unfortunately Eurodam doesn't go to Skagway, just goes to Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan.

Never having been to Alaska (and not particularly interested in going since my dream is Antarctica), I do question your theory that Alaska attracts the "older, retired" crowd more so than other cruises. Alaska cruises may be more expensive, but they are also shorter, and it seems to me that the retired crowd (of which I am one), prefer the longer cruises because they now have the time and money. Also, aren't the Alaska excursions more physically challenging than, say the Caribbean cruises? Again, questions from someone who knows nothing about Alaska.

I don't think Alaska necessarily attracts more retirees than other cruises. I agree that length is an issue for younger/working families. That may be why HAL has so many 1-week Alaska cruises. We're booked on Amsterdam to get a 2-week cruise without a repetitious b-2-b (and to decrease our chances of having a large group onboard).

In looking at tours for our cruise, I did see a lot of active tours like ziplining, bike tours, and hiking. But there are some lower-impact tours, too. And for those wishing a very gentle cruise, there are the glacier viewing days. Even sitting in port offers nice scenery for those who don't want to go ashore.

I was 40 for my first cruise to Alaska. Our TA steered us to Princess during July so that we would be on a ship with more folks around our age. There were still people of all ages on board. On our recent HAL cruise to the Panama Canal, I was among the youngest 10 percent (and I'm 55 now). But that was a 10-day cruise in February--a time when a lot of people who work can't get off for that long. That said, the Princess cruise ship was saw that was doing a similar itinerary had more folks around my age.

We choose based on itinerary. (I looked at "all" of cruise lines.) So as 30-somethings with a 4.5 year old, we sailed on HAL to Alaska & loved it.

In July we will be returning to Alaska on HAL for 14-nights - no other lines have that itinerary for comparison...

Hi! Am am turning 50 this year and my hubby is a few years older. We are planning a cruise to Alaska for next year and bringing our adult "kids" who will be 21 and almost 24 at time of sailing. I have been looking at lines and ships and prices for months and months. We finally chose HAL (2 itineraries still being considered, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) based on itinerary and price. I was a little concerned, based on what I had heard about HAL being an "older" crowd, not for myself and hubby, but for the kids. I put the question to them and they were like...:confused:..."why would we care about the other passengers? Aren't we going for Alaska?"

I can't wait to see Alaska with my family on HAL! Maybe we will be the life of the party ;)! But I'm guessing there are lots of folks in our age group who want to have a great adventure but don't care about a rock wall or a water slide. Have a great trip!

We choose based on itinerary. (I looked at "all" of cruise lines.) So as 30-somethings with a 4.5 year old, we sailed on HAL to Alaska & loved it.

In July we will be returning to Alaska on HAL for 14-nights - no other lines have that itinerary for comparison...

I saw that 14 night itinerary and it looks so incredible and unique!! I wish we could afford the time to book that one! Have the best time! :hearteyes:

I was in my mid forties on our first HAL cruise to Alaska a few years ago. I didn't really notice age differences, but there seemed to be a good mix. I think it depends on what you are in the mood for as far as cruises. Some cruises I look for a lively party type atmosphere, others I just want to enjoy something more meaningful and serene. That said, I had a great time on my HAL cruise. The service was the best ever.

Look at it this way. You are on a land-based family vacation. Would you be concerned if the hotel or restaurant chain did, or did not have enough people of a certain age group. Or would you just enjoy the room and food anyway - and not having to cook, clean or worry about your kids getting lost or playing in traffic?

Sounds like you and your family are going to have a very good time. Happy cruising. ;p;p;p

My husband and I are in our 30s. We did a HAL cruise last year as our first cruise. The booking agent tried to talk us out of it because of our age. We LOVED HAL. We are cruising HAL again in 3 weeks. We look forward to being some of the youngest on the boat.

I am prone to seasickness, and for that reason, I would not book an aft balcony. In my opinion, there is definitely a difference in terms of motion, depending on where you are on the ship. Mid-ship and lower tends to be better. I also always go armed with medicine. Bonine works well. I also carry scopolamine pills (prescription) in case of rougher seas. This is the same medication that's in the patch, but in pill form, so you can regulate the dose. I am small and affected more strongly by drugs. Scopolamine in oral form is an excellent seasickness medication for me!

Hubby and I are in our mid thirties and going on our 4th Holland America cruise in a few weeks. Love it. Much different vibe than Carnival and other cruise lines. Just depends on what you're into. We find the other passengers on Holland America to be wonderful and have great conversation no matter what the age.