day 1 drink cost roll into cheers if bought on day 2?

jdemps

We have some friends on the fence about getting cheers and I've done several searches resulting in contradicting info within them.

If we buy drinks on day 1 at regular prices, if we decide to get Cheers on day 2, do the cost of those drinks get wiped out and roll into the cheers package for the 7 day cost?

Thank you.

We have some friends on the fence about getting cheers and I've done several searches resulting in contradicting info within them.

If we buy drinks on day 1 at regular prices, if we decide to get Cheers on day 2, do the cost of those drinks get wiped out and roll into the cheers package for the 7 day cost?

Thank you.

No, but the cost of would be less because you did not buy on the first day.

Sent from my iPhone

I said it, didn't you see that? Galveston does not allow Cheers until you leave the port.

Lol, I did, what I did not see is where the op said Texas. Most other home ports allow day two sales.

Sent from my iPhone

Cheers is for the length of the cruise, be it bought pre-boarding (at a $5 per day discount) or on board, day 1 or day 2 makes no difference. Texas and New York departures do differ because of state laws that prevent liquor package deals for bar service, so on those cruises the package is priced for 1 less day and starts on day 2 of the cruise at 6 am.

SO if a cruise leaving from any states other than TX & NY is listed as a 7 day cruise

pre-boarding price for Cheers is $402.10 per adult in the cabin

once on board the same package will be $442.35 per adult in the cabin

SO wait till day 2 for any state that does allow package deals you will still pay the full cost for the package and have any covered pay as you go drink wiped to 0 for the menu price and the auto-grat, but any taxes will remain for purchases made while still in the state's waters. (BTW even with the package from minute one on board you're still on the hook for the state's sales tax on a per drink basis.)

Remember "sharing" drinks like a bucket or yard tube of beer is not covered by the program nor are cocktails served in souvenir glasses, mini bar offerings, and those ordered from room service.

you can not buy Cheers on day 2. Texas has some weird archaic laws preventing Cheers until you depart the port.

What's weird about your post is it contains wrong information about cruises originating from here in Galveston.

Carnival doesn't sell the Cheers package aboard the ship until the first morning after sailing, or day two of the cruise. One can pre-purchase the package, but it won't be usable until the second day.

Texas collects tax on alcohol sold on land and in domestic water. The bars aboard the ship must have alcohol that has the tax (or duty as some call) stamps on them.

When the ship departs and gets in range of international water those alcohol bottles and beer coolers are locked up and the rest of the bar selections are available.

This has been in place for many years prior to Carnival bringing the Celebration here in 2001, but Carnival absorbed the tax costs.

Texas also prohibits a "pay one price for all you can drink" policy from any merchant. Even with the fifteen drink limit Carnival elects not to sell the package until day two.

We Texans might have archaic laws, but we have a port and four full time and two part time ships for 2017. Something is working :)

What's weird about your post is it contains wrong information about cruises originating from here in Galveston.

Carnival doesn't sell the Cheers package aboard the ship until the first morning after sailing, or day two of the cruise. One can pre-purchase the package, but it won't be usable until the second day.

Texas collects tax on alcohol sold on land and in domestic water. The bars aboard the ship must have alcohol that has the tax (or duty as some call) stamps on them.

When the ship departs and gets in range of international water those alcohol bottles and beer coolers are locked up and the rest of the bar selections are available.

This has been in place for many years prior to Carnival bringing the Celebration here in 2001, but Carnival absorbed the tax costs.

Texas also prohibits a "pay one price for all you can drink" policy from any merchant. Even with the fifteen drink limit Carnival elects not to sell the package until day two.

We Texans might have archaic laws, but we have a port and four full time and two part time ships for 2017. Something is working :)

Don't mess with Texas. Haha, but I do agree. We must be doing something right.

Cheers is for the length of the cruise, be it bought pre-boarding (at a $5 per day discount) or on board, day 1 or day 2 makes no difference. Texas and New York departures do differ because of state laws that prevent liquor package deals for bar service, so on those cruises the package is priced for 1 less day and starts on day 2 of the cruise at 6 am.

SO if a cruise leaving from any states other than TX & NY is listed as a 7 day cruise

pre-boarding price for Cheers is $402.10 per adult in the cabin

once on board the same package will be $442.35 per adult in the cabin

SO wait till day 2 for any state that does allow package deals you will still pay the full cost for the package and have any covered pay as you go drink wiped to 0 for the menu price and the auto-grat, but any taxes will remain for purchases made while still in the state's waters. (BTW even with the package from minute one on board you're still on the hook for the state's sales tax on a per drink basis.)

Remember "sharing" drinks like a bucket or yard tube of beer is not covered by the program nor are cocktails served in souvenir glasses, mini bar offerings, and those ordered from room service.

If you purchase on day 2 you pay for drinks the first day, period. There is no 'rolling into' Cheers from day 1 if purchased the second day. The only way this happens is to drinks purchased the SAME DAY as Cheers is purchased, then they are rolled in.

Carnival chooses not to jump through Texas or NY liquor laws hoops with a modified drink package. Royal Caribbean offers their drink packages on day 1 from Galveston (not sure about NY), though the choices are limited on day 1.

Great information. So if you are on a 7 night cruise out of TX, you pay for 6 nights of cheers and can start using it at 6am on your 2nd day. Whatever you consume on your first night you just pay for on your cruise card.

lol - once again conflicting info. I will just call carnival I guess.

The fist time we purchased Cheers we got it the 2nd day and they DID roll the first days drinks into it. From there on out we've always purchased it ahead of time to save money.

Here it is:

1. Some ports you can't get CHEERS until day 2. Galveston included in that. That means you pay for each drink day number 1 and get CHEERS on day 2. You do not pay for CHEERS for day 1.

2. You can get CHEERS on day 1 or day 2 from the other ports. If you buy it on day 1, you have up to your 15 drink limit included in CHEERS each day for the rest of the sailing. If you buy it on day 2, you pay for each drink separately on day 1 and do not pay for CHEERS for day 1. EX: If you buy 13 drinks at $9 each on day one, you pay $117.

Here it is:

1. Some ports you can't get CHEERS until day 2. Galveston included in that. That means you pay for each drink day number 1 and get CHEERS on day 2. You do not pay for CHEERS for day 1.

2. You can get CHEERS on day 1 or day 2 from the other ports. If you buy it on day 1, you have up to your 15 drink limit included in CHEERS each day for the rest of the sailing. If you buy it on day 2, you pay for each drink separately on day 1 and do not pay for CHEERS for day 1. EX: If you buy 13 drinks at $9 each on day one, you pay $117.

Just like I said, thanks for pulling the info from the CCL site.

Just like I said, thanks for pulling the info from the CCL site.

I don't see anywhere on CCL site that says you can purchase it on day 2 except for NY and Texas so I called the Fun Shops and the guy said you can't purchase it on day 2 unless going out of the 2 ports mentioned. If that's the case it won't matter because you'll have Cheers for the whole cruise. I do know our first cruise about 7 years ago we didn't even know about Cheers until our server mentioned it on day 2. Went and purchased it for the whole cruise and it covered our drinks from day 1. Since then we just always purchase it ahead of time to get the discounted price.

Don't mess with Texas. Haha, but I do agree. We must be doing something right.

You know what they say about Texas. "It's a whole other country, y'all"