Jade review April 2017

omc329

This was a trip of highs and lows. The short of it is that we'll be taking a break from NCL for a while, mostly because they are no longer a good overall value for us.

On booking: Booking is always easy enough, but the deals are now for those who drink. Dh can't, so I would be stuck with a $200 tip fee for one. My onboard bill was a total of $76.

So, we did free wi-fi, (didn't want, but came in handy anyway), and the dining package. We didn't really want the dining package, already being plat, but I figured the tip fee equated to a trip to Teppenyaki that we might've done anyway. Fully aware of the problems with booking the specialties, I was online at exactly 90 days to book. The only thing they opened up was 7pm and 9pm, both too late for us. I took heart though, that I could adjust when we got on ship to better times..... HAH!

Fast forward to boarding day. We are amongst the first onboard with Plat boarding first group. I race to get those reservations changed. It took well over half an hour. Sorry, but we can get you in at 8:45. Sorry but there is nothing until 9pm. Shuffle, shuffle, move, move, and we finally ended up with something we could live with. Heaven help those who came after! The boards were lit up in red every night.

Next stop is to get the latitudes party info. They actually posted it in the daily later anyway. That was nice. What wasn't is that they put in in the dinner hour, at 6pm, against one of the reservations I had fought so dearly for. Growl!

It was a rough start to the cruise.

We ate at O'sheehans, since our cabin was on that floor. It was slow, but we didn't really care as we were simply awaiting our cabin. It didn't open until 2PM. *shrug* Later than in the past, but not horrid.

We booked a cove balcony for this one. We LOVED it! The only drawback was the echo chamber effect. Everything seemed louder. We could even listen to the ocean from inside with the door shut. Never been able to do that before. It was rather nice. :) Dh loved the privacy!!! We both enjoyed that you could usually find a corner of shade most anytime of day. The minus would only be for the slow or disabled, rather far to the far dining rooms, a problem for us as the cruise progressed.

Breaking down the rest of the cruise into various items.

Food: Ok, not great, mostly not awful. O'sheehans is not what it was when it first started. Long past is the day of the pot pies. Now you get processed mashed potatoes and bad sloppy joe, probably the same bad stuff they put on the chili dog with the stale bun. Bleh.

Teppenyaki and Bistro were both great as always. Cagney's and Cucina were ok. Not really wowed. The main dining rooms were meh. Didn't go hungry, wasn't wowed.

Service: Sometimes on, sometimes not. Seemed like most were trying, but something was lacking. Overworked? Fresh out of drydock? I wasn't impressed, but neither would I complain, (aside from one very bad time at O'sheehans where dh got so mad he went up to the cafeteria and brought food back to eat while we waited...he was TEED!!!).

I have much more to say, but need to go to work, so will finish another day.

Unfortunately, cruises right after drydock often experience problems, so perhaps this accounts for some of the pain you felt on this cruise.

Otherwise I have to agree that food has gone downhill as their cutbacks become more and more obvious. A cycle I have witnessed many times!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

We were on the jade shortly before drydock and agree about the food. We were really glad we went s the dining package because the mdr food was pretty blah.

The service for us was great though. They told us that the crew stayed on through the drydock so maybe that was partly from the drydock

I def agree with the first part of your review, for people who want the UBP and SDP, NCL still provides a good value (which includes us), but for those who would prefer a cheaper fare with no add ons, ur stuck w doing a later guarantee booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Otherwise I have to agree that food has gone downhill as their cutbacks become more and more obvious. A cycle I have witnessed many times!

Oh, no! In what timeframe? We thought the food and menus on Star in June 2015 were good, and were very disappointed in the food on Epic in January 2016, which we attributed to the insane size of the ship and number of people they had to feed.

I hope it hasn't declined further. We sailed on HAL last summer and were very pleased with the food, but NCL had the itinerary we want this summer and it's better value for money, so we're back to NCL.

Oh, no! In what timeframe? We thought the food and menus on Star in June 2015 were good, and were very disappointed in the food on Epic in January 2016, which we attributed to the insane size of the ship and number of people they had to feed.

I hope it hasn't declined further. We sailed on HAL last summer and were very pleased with the food, but NCL had the itinerary we want this summer and it's better value for money, so we're back to NCL.

October last year. The preparation was fine, but you could see the reduction in quality as the OP shared.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I can also tell anyone interested in the Haven that there has been a decline in the food there as well. So much so that I have decided to cancel my next 3 Haven bookings and move over to Celebrity. Until they stop the cutbacks the product at NCL is no longer appealing to me.

Service: Sometimes on, sometimes not. Seemed like most were trying, but something was lacking. Overworked? Fresh out of drydock? I wasn't impressed, but neither would I complain, (aside from one very bad time at O'sheehans where dh got so mad he went up to the cafeteria and brought food back to eat while we waited...he was TEED!!!).

I can agree with the OP 100% .

We were aboard last weeks cruise .

O'Sheehans , walked out after 1 hour wait.

3 Speciailty resturants service was spotty , Grand Pacific consistently good , Alizar never good service . I general food was very good in each restaurant including the Garden Café .

(Garden Café table bussing was exceptional . Single readers sitting at tables during busy times , was annoying)

Been awhile cruising on PCL, HAL, CCL, Cunard & RCI , now back on NCL .

Biggest shock was complete lack of any dress code at dinner .

We are not Formal fans but do abide when enforced . Love Smart Casual ,

but the shoeless hairy legs and tank tops (males also ) at dinner , while the crew is dressed sharply , aboard the Jade , reduces the cruise experience for us, down to a camping trip.

May I add that we had one family member who requested Glutten Free with a call to NCL in advance.

Not only was she contacted by the Maitre'd in person who explained her options and proceedures ,

but was overjoyed with choices and special items made for her .

Edited by MCC retired

Thank you for the review. Do you happen to have any photos of the cove balcony? We were just assigned a cove. I can move, but I'm thinking about keeping it because the trip is through Norway and the weather will be sketchy. I'm forward on deck 8 also. How much of a maze was it to get to O'Sheehans or would it be better to go down on level and cross that way?

May I add that we had one family member who requested Glutten Free with a call to NCL in advance.

Not only was she contacted by the Maitre'd in person who explained her options and proceedures ,

but was overjoyed with choices and special items made for her .

Good to know. I'm GF and DF and even thou there's a msg in my rsvn abt it and my CC has a copy of my food allergies paperwork, I always worry abt the choices I'll have when we sail in November.

[emoji111]🏻[emoji111]🏻[emoji111]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry about the issues you experienced. We sailed the Jade last September/October in a garden villa and felt the food had really gone downhill since the previous year. Nothing terrible but nothing great either. The foods our butler delivered for snacks etc to the GV were much higher quality than anything available in the venues, but it was pretty obvious that NCL has made some major cutbacks in quality of foods served outside the GV. Not the end of the world and the plus was we didn't gain a pound. We also had the two week med sailing so plenty of excellent land options for great food in ports but this year the Jade ports are Iceland, Norway... and some more expensive places and supplement of dining in ports not as appealing. We however had excellent service and agreed that we will take Mediocre food with excellent service any time over excellent food with bad service. I also agree about the perks and think for the non drinker and lite drinker the alternatives to the UBP are not too appealing. We had the UBP built into our fare. I tried a couple times for a nonalcoholic drink and didn't fare so well. One flat diet soda, one virgin Bloody Mary- it consisted of the bartender pouring some tomato juice in a cup. I asked for some spice or something and he passed me some Tabasco. One virgin strawberry daiquiri that was some disgustingly sweet stuff. I was really thankful we had bottled water and canned soda included in our room but just about any other room or suite on the ship and I'd have to pay for them even with our, "free" UBP. I'm sorry but I think it's absurd to pay for just about any suite onboard and not get waters, canned soda and specialty coffee but all the alcohol you want is included. Despite those gripes I have to say we loved our Jade sailing, plan on sailing again this year and have to say the downsides were pretty minor - it was the best vacation we've ever had.

NCL Asia is currently running a 50% off second guest for selected European sailings. No free at sea if you choose 50% and only good for balcony or better this time. This is the second time I've seen the offer in the past few months and probably the best deal going for someone who doesn't want the UBP.

We sailed Jade in January as first timers NCL

We did SDP reservations exactly 90 days out and easily got early dining 5 nights out of 10

Overall food was just ok though everywhere

Buffet seating fot bfast and lunch was a joke...too many people just occupying tables instead of eating and moving on

Service overall we thought was good

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Very helpful in deciding whether to keep our specialty dining reservations or cancel onboard.

What pier did the Jade dock in Cozumel?

Not sure of the name but if you are at sea looking ashore it is the pier to the right

We sailed Jade in January as first timers NCL

We did SDP reservations exactly 90 days out and easily got early dining 5 nights out of 10

Overall food was just ok though everywhere

Buffet seating fot bfast and lunch was a joke...too many people just occupying tables instead of eating and moving on

Service overall we thought was good

On our cruise on 4/9/17 we docked at Puerta Maya due to the high number of ships in port that day, but the NCL Jade usually docks at Puerto Langosta which is closer to town.

My, what a lot of comments and questions! Sorry, but life is busy after a trip. Let me see what I can do here, though some have already been answered.

We didn't eat lunch in the main dining rooms, but I'm 'fairly' certain they are closed on port days. If you can tolerate it, Osheehans is open.

On booking specialties, I was on exactly at 90 days. They only opened 7pm and 9pm. I checked multiple times and no other times opened on the net that I could see. How they had all the earlier options booked in as much as they were as I boarded??? Suites??? No idea.

On the cove balcony. I did not take picts. I believe you may find some on cruise deck plans. For Norway, I wouldn't hesitate to book the cove just for wind protection. Going down to Osheehans, follow the carpet fish. The fish break once and a while, and there are a few turns, but keep your eyes on the fish and you'll be fine.

One more note on value. Ds and I had looked forward to buying a couple of mojito flights. We had them on the getaway with Bong serving. It was such a great time!

Firstly, hours at the mojito bar were limited. Could've dealt with that, but the PRICE!!!!! Our $15 flights jumped 33% to $20!!! BUT, IF you had the package it would only cost.....$15 with discount. THPppppttttt. And IF I had the package, why wouldn't I just order full size ones instead?????? One at a time granted, but it is a 7 day cruise.

Sigh, no mojito flights for us. :(

Ds ordered one mixed drink and was disgusted with the lack of alcohol. Koolaid. I only purchased beer and wine on board. We had some great drinks in Harvest Caye though! :)

Let me submit this and move on with the review.

Entertainment.

Because of conflicts with dining times, we only hit the theater twice. We are not late night folks, so if we didn't get the early show, we didn't go. No problem though, as music and dancing were abundant.

We saw a comedian one night which dh enjoyed and Elements, still a great show. Note on Elements for those who have not seen it, sit back a ways as some of the show is above the seating in the theater and performers entering from sides and back during the performance.

Music options were plentiful. Ds, who was miserable with Princess music offerings, had the time of his life, dancing to the wee hours. I personally loved the latin music evening. :D

We were agreed that NCL does evening music, entertainment and nightlife well. Thing is, sea days seemed slow and boring. On Princess, we were NEVER bored on a sea day. Was trying to put my finger on it, but all I could come up with was Princess had a WONDERFUL adult serenity area with SHADED whirlpools and pools without the crowds, pop choir for me, INTERESTING lectures for all of us, afternoon movies, etc. Nothing struck us as interesting in the NCL dailies for the afternoon sea days. Even the cruise staff afternoon production on the last sea day was missing?? Some trips, that has been a real highlight.

So, ds, (30's), prefers a strong night life on NCL, while we preferred busy days and earlier evenings on Princess. Why can't we get both again????

Ports.

Cozumel we have done many times. Due to the overcrowding poolside on the ship, ds asked if we could make it a ship day. We used the whirlpools, but with no shade, were quickly baking.(They took off the canopies????) We found a corner of the pool to hide in. Dh, complained the pool temps were too cold, but ds and I quickly adjusted after the initial shock. Shuffleboard was closed during that port. Another disappointment. Ds and hubby had a nice looonnng chat on the balcony that day though. A quiet and relaxing, though somewhat slow day.

Costa Maya

It was a long walk to the port from where they parked the ship. They also made it confusing if you were leaving the port area. If you are, leave where the cruise tours are. Do NOT go into the port area past that point. You will be walking forever trying to get out. They blocked off the earlier exits and drag you out and around. I blame that long, awful walk for dragging dh into Afib, (heart condition). *sigh* (Thank goodness for the free internet so we could contact his doctor!)

We did Maya Chan this day. They warned us at port about sea grass and gave us the option not to go. We went anyway. Not a huge deal, though I missed the nicer, clean beach. Sea grass is very spungie to walk on. Not bad, but not sand either. The other thing of note, different from previous days at Maya Chan, they have added a waiver form. I wouldn't mind it, but they expected me to lie, confirming dh was able to kayak and snorkel although he would not be participating in those activities. That form needs some rewording, that IF you are going to use those things.... It was a nice day with kayaks, drinks and sun.

Roatan

We were going to walk into town, shop and drink. I was sorely disappointed. The town has gone downhill big time. NO cruisers. Shops shut down. The drink place we used last time was just depressing and the drinks not as good either. We headed back into the port area, paid a bit more, and had a great party atmosphere and great drinks. I felt bad for not spending more in the town. It was terribly depressing there. I was on vacation though, and the port area left us in a great mood. *shrug*

Harvest Caye

We did the mangrove tour. Nice boat ride. Pretty birds. No manatees. Relaxing, not exciting, ok. Afterwards we checked out the island. If you are not hung up on spending money, I thought the place was nice and would be happy to return. Best drinks of the cruise were here!!! Ds and I were VERY happy when we reboarded. :D

Almost done, but have more things to do about the house. I'll be back.......

• 2 weeks later...

Great review and thoughts. We just came back from the Jade last week and were also thoroughly disappointed with the MDR food. Also there seemed not much to do during sea days. Or things scheduled right when we wanted to eat. (Trivia or game shows at 12:30) Basically I felt that there wasn't anything to complain about directly, but we all felt that there was nothing special. Nothing made us feel special or the trip feel special in any way, like we have been made to feel on other cruises. The library and game room were always full. Probably because people had to make their own fun because no activities were offered. We did do the painting activity because we were lucky enough to get a spot. Only space for 12 people at a time. Couldn't they find a place where they could fit in more people? We were also sad we couldn't play shuffle board while in port.

I am a NCL Newbie, we just got off the Jade on Sunday. My DH and I have been on 24 cruises, mostly with Carnival. I have to say we loved the food! We were so tired of the same old menu from Carnival that we liked everything we ate. We also felt like the variety of food on the buffet was better than Carnival. I do agree with you about the afternoon entertainment. If you weren't out on the very crowded pool deck, where there was lots going on, you really had to make your own entertainment. They offered just a few options through out the day. But overall we were very happy with our first NCL experience and have booked our second one. We are taking a break from Carnival for awhile, at least until some better itinerary's come up.

Maybe you should try a different line just to see what they offer. Maybe you will find NCL actually is a really great choice.