Any loyal Carnival cruisers tried NCL?

thegoodlife247

My point exactly when I inquired about the ship and time frame of when going2cruz had a bad experience on NCL. It seems like the experience on their ships dramatically improved when they built the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class. The newest and best from the different lines is all I will sail now and in the immediate future. Currently have 4 cruises booked on the Escape, Seaside and Horizon, with Bliss and Edge in my not too distant future. May go back to RCI for one of their newer builds and maybe even try Princess or HAL within 5 years depending upon what innovations they may come up with in their new builds.

The only differences there should be on any cruise line's new ships versus their old ships should the specific innovations added to the new ships- the restaurants, waterslides, rope courses, bars, etc. that aren't on the older ships. Everything else, food quality, service, staff, cleanliness, etc. should be relatively the same across the lines ships because it's those things that define the brand.

My point exactly when I inquired about the ship and time frame of when going2cruz had a bad experience on NCL. It seems like the experience on their ships dramatically improved when they built the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class. The newest and best from the different lines is all I will sail now and in the immediate future. Currently have 4 cruises booked on the Escape, Seaside and Horizon, with Bliss and Edge in my not too distant future. May go back to RCI for one of their newer builds and maybe even try Princess or HAL within 5 years depending upon what innovations they may come up with in their new builds.

Isn't princess building a ship that has a bar on the side of the ship that goes up and down??

We didn't opt for Havana this time, but we absolutely loved Vibe on the Escape. Hopefully serenity Deck will be ok for us without a pool on Vista.

Shouldn't say hopefully as we will have a good time .

The newest and best from the different lines is all I will sail now and in the immediate future. Currently have 4 cruises booked on the Escape, Seaside and Horizon, with Bliss and Edge in my not too distant future. May go back to RCI for one of their newer builds and maybe even try Princess or HAL within 5 years depending upon what innovations they may come up with in their new builds.

I'm the same way. But with all the "Vista is a disappointment" threads, I'm not sure where to go with Carnival at this point. We were considering Magic next year, but it's that or Allure. Who would actually sail Magic over Allure? Similar itinerary. This is an interesting thread as we have also strongly considered NCL, mostly because of the Haven.

The only differences there should be on any cruise line's new ships versus their old ships should the specific innovations added to the new ships- the restaurants, waterslides, rope courses, bars, etc. that aren't on the older ships. Everything else, food quality, service, staff, cleanliness, etc. should be relatively the same across the lines ships because it's those things that define the brand.

How about entertainment venues? You seem to know a great deal but in actuality you've been on six cruises with the largest being 93 k tons and all of them are older ships.

Cruise on ANY new build on ANY cruise line and gain first hand experience and then your opinion might have some more weight or substance to it. But if I need information on balcony cabins on small to mid-size ships, I'll know who to ask.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by SNJCruisers

This is an interesting thread as we have also strongly considered NCL, mostly because of the Haven.
Check out the Yacht Club on MSC. Specifically the new Seaside. Haven type at an economical price. Suites, balconies and insides. Many Haven people are jumping ship to the Yacht Club because of increasing prices. And MSC will match your best status in whatever line you're the highest in.

How about entertainment venues? You seem to know a great deal but in actuality you've been on six cruises with the largest being 93 k tons and all of them are older ships.

Cruise on ANY new build on ANY cruise line and gain first hand experience and then your opinion might have some more weight or substance to it. But if I need information on balcony cabins on small to mid-size ships, I'll know who to ask.

Burn.

But yea I agree. Actually exp for yourself is important.

LOL, you are funny and your posts are so entertaining! Obviously entertainment was covered by "etc." and you know, I don't think that I've ever read a review where someone complained that a lack of entertainment made the cruise a cruise from hell and made someone not want to cruise on the cruise line again (it could have been a small factor for some I suppose). Food quality, yes. Waiting in long lines to eat, yes. Bad service and attitude of the staff, yes. The Freestyle concept itself, yes. If they don't get those things right on the older smaller ships how are you going to convince anyone that they can get them right on the newer bigger ships? And if they don't get those things right on the older smaller ships why would anyone gamble thousands of dollars and valuable vacation time to find out if they did get it right on the newer ships?

Burn.

But yea I agree. Actually exp for yourself is important.

LOL you are just as funny! I'm close to 60 years old and I think that I have a pretty good idea at this stage in my life what is important to me, what I like and what I don't like. I don't need to experience something to know whether I'll like it or not, especially if it comes with an extraordinarily large price tag.

LOL you are just as funny! I'm close to 60 years old and I think that I have a pretty good idea at this stage in my life what is important to me, what I like and what I don't like. I don't need to experience something to know whether I'll like it or not, especially if it comes with an extraordinarily large price tag.

I enjoy your comments just as well. I am glad that we are all taking this lightly, as we should.

Statements like this are emblematic of your age group. It is your choice to wall yourself off and remain ignorant. That is perfectly your right. I disagree w/ it though and think you are missing out. But you are perfectly free to do so. I personally like to live my life open to new experiences.

I enjoy your comments just as well. I am glad that we are all taking this lightly, as we should.

Statements like this are emblematic of your age group. It is your choice to wall yourself off and remain ignorant. That is perfectly your right. I disagree w/ it though and think you are missing out. But you are perfectly free to do so. I personally like to live my life open to new experiences.

And you have grossly misapprehended my comments- all that I've ever said is that I don't see the need to pay a premium price to cruise on a bigger, newer ship (or with NCL or any other line on any ship for that matter). I am also open to new experiences, but if those experiences come with a price tag I have to ask myself "is it worth the extra cost over doing something else". I do a price comparison and I see that one cruise is $1800 more than another going to the same place and I have to ask myself "is it worth it". Warm Breezes above noted a cruise that cost $100 more pp/pd than a CCL cruise and listed the reasons why it was worth it to her to pay that much more. None of those reasons matter to me, so why would I pay that much more? If the price is right I'll sail on any line, anywhere we are looking to go.

And you have grossly misapprehended my comments- all that I've ever said is that I don't see the need to pay a premium price to cruise on a bigger, newer ship (or with NCL or any other line on any ship for that matter). I am also open to new experiences, but if those experiences come with a price tag I have to ask myself "is it worth the extra cost over doing something else". I do a price comparison and I see that one cruise is $1800 more than another going to the same place and I have to ask myself "is it worth it". Warm Breezes above noted a cruise that cost $100 more pp/pd than a CCL cruise and listed the reasons why it was worth it to her to pay that much more. None of those reasons matter to me, so why would I pay that much more? If the price is right I'll sail on any line, anywhere we are looking to go.

This comment further exemplifies the rhetoric that your age group uses.

Think about it. Self reflection is always a good thing imo

I'm the same way. But with all the "Vista is a disappointment" threads, I'm not sure where to go with Carnival at this point. We were considering Magic next year, but it's that or Allure. Who would actually sail Magic over Allure? Similar itinerary. This is an interesting thread as we have also strongly considered NCL, mostly because of the Haven.

I would never be tempted to sail Allure over Magic even if they were the same cost simply because I have no desire to sail on the mega ships that hold close to 6,000 people. a balcony overlooking a courtyard does nothing for me. When I step out on my balcony, I want to see the ocean. this has nothing to do with carnival versus any other line.

Pat

I would never be tempted to sail Allure over Magic even if they were the same cost simply because I have no desire to sail on the mega ships that hold close to 6,000 people. a balcony overlooking a courtyard does nothing for me. When I step out on my balcony, I want to see the ocean. this has nothing to do with carnival versus any other line.

Pat

You do know that Allure has oceanview balconies, right?

This comment further exemplifies the rhetoric that your age group uses.

Think about it. Self reflection is always a good thing imo

Sorry, it's not rhetoric, it's the voice of experience. My experience. As I have said I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay for it. If it makes you feel good to spend $1800 more for a cruise then go for it, I'll take that $1800 and go see 9 concerts or to fly to Germany. You make the decision that works for you and I'll make the decision that works for me and both decisions are right because your decision is the right one for you and my decision is the right one for me. I won't belittle your decision, either.

Sorry, it's not rhetoric, it's the voice of experience. My experience. As I have said I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay for it. If it makes you feel good to spend $1800 more for a cruise then go for it, I'll take that $1800 and go see 9 concerts or to fly to Germany. You make the decision that works for you and I'll make the decision that works for me and both decisions are right because your decision is the right one for you and my decision is the right one for me. I won't belittle your decision, either.

I looked at prices between NCL Escape (July 29) and Carnival Triumph (July 27)- not seeing where you are getting the $1800 more from???? Carnival Triumph is $139.80 per day base price. NCL Escape is $142.71 per day base price. I consider myself a bit of a bargain hunter and I would prefer to go on a new NCL ship with lots of stuff to do, nicer amenities, different restaurants than an old ship like the Carnival Triumph for what amounts to $2.91 more per person per day.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I am not disputing the alleged savings. NCL for the most part is more expensive than CCL. The question is how much more as others are disputing here.

But my point is that you are speaking from the perspective of someone that has never been on these large mega ships to vacation. You are actively telling yourself that you would not enjoy it even though you have only read about it and not exp it due to concerns about price. That is very commonly language and logic used by those above 60 yo. I get it. Money is tight when you don't have active income flowing in. And I get your point about spending extra that can be enjoyed in other ways. That is an entirely different and separate argument. But to say that you wouldn't enjoy it w/o even trying it is biased and one sided, esp when equating it to your military service. In the end, the only person you are trying to convince (or lie to) is yourself, and we are not the ones that lose out.

It is your decision to do as you please, and I respect that. I think it is wrong to tell someone how to relax. But do realize that there is a lot of rationalization (a neurotic defense mechanism) that is going on here w/ you. I work with older people who are much more senior than you are. In turn, I hear many of their regrets.

Again, I think self reflection is key.

I am not disputing the alleged savings. NCL for the most part is more expensive than CCL. The question is how much more as others are disputing here.

But my point is that you are speaking from the perspective of someone that has never been on these large mega ships to vacation. You are actively telling yourself that you would not enjoy it even though you have only read about it and not exp it due to concerns about price. That is very commonly language and logic used by those above 60 yo. I get it. Money is tight when you don't have active income flowing in. And I get your point about spending extra that can be enjoyed in other ways. That is an entirely different and separate argument. But to say that you wouldn't enjoy it w/o even trying it is biased and one sided, esp when equating it to your military service. In the end, the only person you are trying to convince (or lie to) is yourself, and we are not the ones that lose out.

It is your decision to do as you please, and I respect that. I think it is wrong to tell someone how to relax. But do realize that there is a lot of rationalization (a neurotic defense mechanism) that is going on here w/ you. I work with older people who are much more senior than you are. In turn, I hear many of their regrets.

Again, I think self reflection is key.

Sigh, if you say so. I've stayed in many 4 and 5 star establishments over the years for business and wouldn't stay in any of them again if I were paying the tab because to me it's a waste of money and it has nothing to do with having a good time or not, I've never been into the finer things in life. I'm just as happy in a 3 star establishment. I read posts like Warm Breezes' above (whose opinion I respect a lot) when she says what more she is getting on a big ship versus a smaller ship and how much more she is spending to get them and none of those things hold any allure for me where I'm willing to spend significantly more to get them. So in your view what does a bigger ship offer that a smaller ship doesn't, what am I going to regret not experiencing?

Sigh, if you say so. I've stayed in many 4 and 5 star establishments over the years for business and wouldn't stay in any of them again if I were paying the tab because to me it's a waste of money and it has nothing to do with having a good time or not, I've never been into the finer things in life. I'm just as happy in a 3 star establishment. I read posts like Warm Breezes' above (whose opinion I respect a lot) when she says what more she is getting on a big ship versus a smaller ship and how much more she is spending to get them and none of those things hold any allure for me where I'm willing to spend significantly more to get them. So in your view what does a bigger ship offer that a smaller ship doesn't, what am I going to regret not experiencing?

Please don't take this personally, but you don't see the value in nicer things because you can't afford it. You have to make a decision "I can get this OR that with the money." But in reality you are making the same value calculations as others, just from your income level. You COULD just not cruise, and spend that money on something cheaper, right? Maybe camping at your local national park. But you are taking a more expensive vacation because it's the right price that you are comfortable at. For others, a nicer ship/cruise is a price they are comfortable at. There is absolutely no doubt the larger ships offer more amenities and things to do. If those amenities are not worth it to you, then fine... but let's not pretend like the extra fun stuff to do doesn't add to a more fun vacation.

Please don't take this personally, but you don't see the value in nicer things because you can't afford it. You have to make a decision "I can get this OR that with the money." But in reality you are making the same value calculations as others, just from your income level. You COULD just not cruise, and spend that money on something cheaper, right? Maybe camping at your local national park. But you are taking a more expensive vacation because it's the right price that you are comfortable at. For others, a nicer ship/cruise is a price they are comfortable at. There is absolutely no doubt the larger ships offer more amenities and things to do. If those amenities are not worth it to you, then fine... but let's not pretend like the extra fun stuff to do doesn't add to a more fun vacation.

Exactly. You said it more directly than I did b/c I don't want to offend :D. But I agree.

I think it is fine to say that X fits in to my budget, but Y doesn't. But it is disingenuous to say that more amenities serve no use.

I could afford it. Might not be able to afford some of the other things we like to do throughout the year, but we could afford it. And you summed it up with the bolded statement.

Exactly. You said it more directly than I did b/c I don't want to offend :D. But I agree.

I think it is fine to say that X fits in to my budget, but Y doesn't. But it is disingenuous to say that more amenities serve no use.

I have never said that more amenities serve no use, I have only said they serve no use to me. BIG difference. Yes, while we are upper middle class we still have to make budgeting choices and money is still an object, just less so than it was when the kids were little.

I looked at prices between NCL Escape (July 29) and Carnival Triumph (July 27)- not seeing where you are getting the $1800 more from???? Carnival Triumph is $139.80 per day base price. NCL Escape is $142.71 per day base price. I consider myself a bit of a bargain hunter and I would prefer to go on a new NCL ship with lots of stuff to do, nicer amenities, different restaurants than an old ship like the Carnival Triumph for what amounts to $2.91 more per person per day.

In the pricing I quoted earlier in the thread I priced out the Escape and Vista for 2019 and Vista was a little under $1800 less than Escape (and the cruises left from different ports). The difference between the Escape and the Pride (leaving from the northeast on similar itineraries) was $1400 less for the Pride.

Edited by sparks1093