MITSUGIRLY decides to CONQUEST new ports-complete pictorial review

mitsugirly

Woohoo..going on the Conquest in November..looking forward to a comprehensive Mitsugirly review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. It's a very comprehensive...or maybe complicated is the word I'm looking for these days, review. :')

Yes!! I LOVE your reviews and can't wait to hear all about it and see your beautiful family! Sakari is the same age as my son who also is a total fish too :D

Thanks so much and glad you are here. Fish are beautiful...fish are our friends. :')

A new review! Awesome! Following. :D

Thanks and welcome.

I'm a big fan of your reviews and I'm looking forward to this one since I'm not sailing again until January. Thank you in advance for all the time and effort that you will put into this review. It is greatly appreciated.

Aww, thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time in your hectic life to post a review! Can't wait to see all of the awesome pictures and read the details!

Thanks and I'm hoping I was able to get some awesome pictures this time around. You all basically get to see them about the same time I do.

I am SO EXCITED to see your review of the Conquest!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are my go-to when I'm researching ports. You are the reason we've been to LFK twice now, which is my absolute favorite place ever! So yeah, I am definitely following every word because I will be on the Conquest June 3 sailing!

Aww, how sweet. I'm glad you find the reviews helpful. Glad you enjoy LFK...it's amazing there!

Hey Kim! Welcome home! Really looking forward to this one since we'll be on the Conquest for the first time next April. :cool:

Say what? Jamman hasn't been on the Conquest yet? Where did you go for your Spring Break cruise? I'll have to find your review!

Looking forward to this! I've read almost all your reviews, and as we are also beach people, I find them to be VERY helpful! This ship is one that I have contemplated for awhile now, so I am curious as to your thoughts on it...

Thanks for taking the time to read almost all of my reviews. I know it takes a lot of time and dedication to be able to do that. Welcome

so looking forward to ur review have sailed the conquest twice and have her booked for 3/2019 ocean scenic view cabin so excited did Ncl Jade 3/2017 last cruise before drydock will be on her again in 3/2018 doing cuba 7/2017 rcl empress always looking forward to ur great reviews

Thanks for coming along for the review Starfish. Wow, it sounds like you have your cruises all picked out for the next year +. I have trouble even picking out what to wear daily. :')

I've gotta admit, this is going to be hard for me. I love your reviews and your gorgeous photos, but I've been fortunate enough to read almost all of them after you've finished them. Having to be patient and wait for you to post each installment just might kill me, but I know the anticipation will totally be worth it!

Yea, that might be rough waiting on it as it's being posted. My life is really hectic at the moment with the home remodels and I'm going to try to dedicate time to the review a little each day.

So happy to be able to follow this one from the beginning! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aww thanks and hope you enjoy it.

Hooray, Kim is back! :hearteyes: I am looking forward to another fun review. Conquest is the only Conquest-class ship I have not sailed, so this will be interesting.:D

Heather

H-E-A-T-H-E-R my friend!!! Welcome! I'm always interesting...whatcha talkin bout! :')

Really looking forward to this. We were on Conquest last October and again the previous October (2015), and it will be great to vicariously re-live our cruises, which were awesome. :)

Glad you are here.

Yay! I can't wait to read this!

Thanks so much

A new Carnival review from MITSUGILY. Awesome!!! As usual, following along. Great score on the gift cards, ect!! Can't beat free...anything!!

Stinger!! Hello! Glad you are here for the review. I know right? I LOVE free! :D

Hi Kim! I'm excited to find this review is under way! I plan to keep up as best I can, but we are off to Vegas ourselves on Friday, so I may fall a bit behind now and then. I am really motivated, so I will do the best I can to keep up. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

First of all, awesome job getting the Carnival gift cards using your points! I never get enough points to get anything like a free cruise. Hopefully, this will allow you to cruise more often, and that will mean more reviews for us to read! Yes, a bit selfish of me, but your reviews are fun reading! R

Next, congratulations on buying a house! Looks like your son is really enjoying demo day! It must have been exciting to come home from your cruise to see all the work he your son did while you were gone.

Now, let's get on with the show! I can't wait to hear about your cruise, especially Aruba and Curacao since they are both on the next itinerary that we will be sailing. I also can't wait to hear your scuba stories, both you and Sam, and, of course, Sakari! clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Hiya friend!! Glad you are here!

The one thing I haven't done yet is Vegas. I always talk about it, I research it, but haven't done it yet. Kendra was over last night and said "we are definitely going back and you are coming with us!!!"

Even though I get "free" cruises now...work is still always on my case about "how often" I'm on vacation. :eek: They seem to think I take to many...I have a different opinion of that myself. :')

Yea, my son had me so freaked out with those pictures minutes before getting on the plane that I completely forgot my phone. Yikes! I think he does things like this to me on purpose.

I am very excited to read your review. These are new islands to me too as well as a ship we are contemplating and you always do such an amazing and thorough job.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you are here.

Love your reviews!

I had the same situation on my last cruise. Hubby and I just got a new home right before my cruise on the Getaway. My mind was spinning on what needed to be done when I got back. After a while I settled in and enjoyed my Haven Suite and had a blast!

I think my mind was spinning the entire cruise. We went to Grand Turk on Monday and by Tuesday I had someone asking me what we did the day before and I couldn't even remember. My mind was just somewhere else at the time. Ugh

Currently binge-reading and anxiously awaiting more as my students are taking a state standardized test! Day made!

Aww thanks and glad you are here.

Nice to read another cruise review from a fellow Ohioian :)

Well hello there and glad to have you along for the review. I hope you enjoy it.

Greetings from Columbus!!! Looking forward to the rest, we sail the Conquest in 15 days!!

Hi there!!! It's always neat to find other people near you that cruise. I hope you enjoy the Conquest in 15 days!

I am anxious to hear if you tried scuba diving again!

robin

We sure did! :D

So picking up where I left off...heading to the hotel.

I promise you that Southwest is always the terminal furthest from the taxi/hotel pick up area. It feels like you walk a mile to get there and dragging luggage with you and trying to keep your ducklings in line without falling behind always seems like a task. But hey, I'm about to be on a cruise, where I'll eat so much that I normally gain 8-10 pounds each cruise...yea, I need this walk badly.

Our hotel van picked us up and we arrived in a very short time at the hotel. We always try to stay at a different location (just like we like to try different places in port out) each time and this time we picked the Hyatt Place at the Convention Center. It seemed to be in a good location for walking to everything we needed. As we pulled onto the street, I noticed another hotel we had previously stayed at and knew exactly where we were.

P4140041%20copy-L.jpg

It was a easy and quick check in and I was using my Hyatt Certificates I purchased with my SW card. They told me to hang on to them and I would use them during check out.

We were given the choice of the 1st floor or the 3rd floor. Honestly, I have never been given an option and this was a nice change. I have never been able to stay on a lower floor, so of course I decided the 1st floor would be our choice. It worked out GREAT! We were 2 doors down from a side door and a quick escape from the room when leaving.

The price of the room was $219 and after tax $243. It was a decent price for the area when I was checking prices of various hotels. Man, the price of hotels sure has went up over the years of cruising. I used to be able to get a room for less than $100.

P4240004%20copy.jpg

Now notice the highlighted area that says "Transportation Charges" and $2.00. There was a big debate about this hotel and whether or not this was charged. Some reported it was, others reported it wasn't. I called after I booked (using a 3rd party source) and was told it was included in their "special" price. When the front desk ask if we used their transportation, I told them yes and also told them that we were told that it was included. She told me she would remove it from the charges on my account. I mean yes, it's only $2.00 but your word is your word right? So those that are wondering...I guess there is a $2.00 charge and it was per family, not per person.

P4140040%20copy.jpg

Our room was like many other rooms we have stayed in. The "bedroom" is split off by a wall and the sofa turns into a bed. It's a pretty spacious room when they are like this and I like it.

When you first walk in, there is a little "office" area with a desk for the computer, refrigerator and sink.

P4140031%20copy-L.jpg

One thing that struck me odd was that they already had the couch pulled out into a bed. I have never had them do this before. We usually don't like the bed out until it's time to sleep because it does take up some space in the room and prefer to be able to sit on the couch to watch tv and relax prior to bed.

P4140032%20copy-L.jpg

The bed wasn't made or anything. I still had to locate the comforter and pillows tucked away in the closet. But, I was too tired and hungry to put the couch back together.

Sakari looked at "our" bed and immediately said "That's my room"...um no child, it's not. Until you grow up, get a job, and book your own room, this remains mommy and daddy's room thank you very much!

P4140023%20copy-L.jpg

P4140028%20copy-L.jpg

P4140029%20copy-L.jpg

There was a nice sized area off of the bedroom and bathroom to get ready.

P4140026%20copy-L.jpg

P4140024%20copy-L.jpg

The shower was super nice and very relaxing after we returned that night.

P4140027%20copy-L.jpg

We also booked a room with a King sized bed. This was a first for us as well and I slept great! Our bed at home is King sized and every time we stay in a hotel, they have the normal full sized beds and I sleep terrible! I complain every time and always say I'll get a Queen or King next time, then never do. Well not this time. I must have had my marbles with me the day I booked!

Now to take a look around the hotel itself....

Off of the lobby area was a restaurant/dinning area for breakfast. It was a decent size (bigger than most I have been to).

P4140036%20copy-L.jpg

P4140038%20copy-L.jpg

There was also a bar area that wrapped around to the front desk. There was always someone there enjoying it during our short stay.

P4140037%20copy-L.jpg

The breakfast area.

P4140033%20copy-L.jpg

Off to the side, they had a computer/internet area as well.

P4140035%20copy-L.jpg

The thing I found odd about this hotel is that they DID NOT have vending machines anywhere. Not on the floors, not in the lobby. But, they did have a small area at the desk that you could be cold items and pop was $3.25 each!!!!

After getting situated, we decided to head out to find some food and explore the immediate area. I knew there was a mall close by with food and we decided to head across the street to locate it.

Before long, we came to a short wall, which for fluffy people like us, it becomes an army wall scale to test our ability to climb. You would think with the hubby being a skater for so many years and jumping up on high walls to skate the ledges, he'd be a pro at this. But that belly gets in the way every time now. Oops

P4140042%20copy-L.jpg

We found the mall and walked a complete circle around it, burning those calories of course, and checking out everything it had to offer.

P4140046%20copy-L.jpg

P4140051%20copy-L.jpg

I remember several people on here talking about how they always go to Duffy's when they stay in the area and once I found it, I decided that was the place for us for the night.

P4140047%20copy-L.jpg

The place was busy, but not packed. Our service was pretty slow. It was a good 10-15 minutes, after being seated, that anyone even acknowledged that we were there and took our drink order. It was a wait for our drinks as well.

Then we had to flag our waiter down to order our food...and the waiting began again. Once the food arrived, it was good, but the service just was not the greatest. We were not offered refills on pop, we were not checked on to see if the meal was ok, and we waited forever for them to clear our table. Once he came by to clear the table, he didn't bring us the check.

P4140043%20copy-L.jpg

P4140044%20copy-L.jpg

I was getting tired of sitting and waiting and decided I was going to head outside with Sakari and take some pictures and I passed the waiter on the way out. He was all the way in the front of the restaurant talking to some co-workers.

P4140048%20copy-L.jpg

The pictures posted in the previous post were the pictures I was busy taking until the hubby finally came outside after paying the bill.

We headed back to the hotel (it was about a 2 hour experience).

P4140050%20copy-L.jpg

P4140049%20copy-L.jpg

We (Sakari and I) watched t.v. and the hubby caught up on some work and we were in bed by 1am and dreaming about the day to come.

Yea! I was hoping your gap in posts meant you were on another cruise, and I am so glad I was right. :cool:

(No, I'm not a stalker. I was looking for your Blue Kay review and happened to notice. We are going to try Blue Kay after doing Maya Chan and Almaplena...)

Yay!!!! I can't wait to read what you thought of Conquest, I am thinking of switching one of our cruises to a sailing on her that I like better. Thanks for doing this review so I can live vicariously thru you until it's my turn to cruise again!

The alarm was set for 9am and I was wide awake at 8am. Those "first day getting on the ship jitters" had set in I suppose.

I immediately went outside to check out the weather so I could decide what to wear for the day. It was already 76 degrees outside!

P4150053%20copy-L.jpg

I headed back in to wake the family up (hey if I'm awake, they might as well be too!) and we were headed to breakfast around 9:30am. It was a hot meal breakfast with the normal eggs, toast, bacon, fruits, oatmeal, donuts, muffins and so on. They also had "cage free" eggs, which is the first I had ever seen at a hotel before.

We managed to find a spot inside to eat but there are also tables and umbrellas outside, in the front, around the turn around area to sit at as well.

P4150054%20copy-L.jpg

We headed back to our room, once our bellies were full, and grabbed our very worn out rolling pop "luggage" and decided to head out to find a place to buy pop for the cruise. On the way out of the hotel, I kept hearing a lot of birds squawking, but didn't see them. There had to have been a lot because they were very noisy.

At the end of the street, we noticed a Marathon gas station, which was closer than the mall, and headed there only to find out they didn't have cans, so that was a bust. Off to the grocery store we had seen at the mall the previous day I guess. At least Carnival still allows you to bring pop with you on the cruise!

P4150057%20copy-L.jpg

Once we grabbed our pop, we headed back to the hotel with our luggage in tow. Try scaling the wall with 3 twelve packs in a luggage that has lost a wheel at this point and could possibly fall apart at any time...yea that was fun.

I started hearing the birds again. Where are these things???

Then I caught a glimpse of them flying by and they landed on the electric wires above.

P4150058%20copy-L.jpg

Can you tell what it is?

P4150060%20copy-L.jpg

P4150061%20copy-L.jpg