New Headliners show ' War Dance'

amajaa

What does everyone think of the new show?

I love all the Headliners shows normally but this one, to us, wasn't good at all. Too much talking and not enough singing and dancing plus didn't like the swearing at the beginning. I was glad my Granddaugters weren't with us, their mother would have been fuming.

Interesting to know what others thought. I think they are trying to appeal to a much younger market with this one.

The f word wasn't used in this, that would be going too far for P & O I think, but there was still a bit of swearing at the beginning and it was a family ship during the Easter Holidays so plenty of children on board.

An English bloke on our half worldie on Arcadia, Sydney - Southampton in 2012, re named the Headliners, the 'Head Bangers.' because their noise gave him a headache.:D

I like the Headliners.:halo:

Now this War Dance, the Adonia entertainment area/stage aft, would not suit that production?

It was on Ventura, a brand new show they said. I was just shocked at the swearing, albeit only mild for nowadays but still swearing non the less. Plus the show was half talking. Obviously a different choreographer to the other (excellent) shows.

I really think they are trying to appeal to a younger market as instead of the Tom Jones etc tribute acts we had Sam Smith, Ollie Murs and Gary Barlow tributes. Quite funny as everybody around us said they had never heard of Sam Smith, well, as I said to them I have heard of him but have no idea what he sings. I do however like Ollie Murs and Gary Barlow.

It was on Ventura, a brand new show they said. I was just shocked at the swearing, albeit only mild for nowadays but still swearing non the less. Plus the show was half talking. Obviously a different choreographer to the other (excellent) shows.

I really think they are trying to appeal to a younger market as instead of the Tom Jones etc tribute acts we had Sam Smith, Ollie Murs and Gary Barlow tributes. Quite funny as everybody around us said they had never heard of Sam Smith, well, as I said to them I have heard of him but have no idea what he sings. I do however like Ollie Murs and Gary Barlow.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm I might be on Ventura next year!

You can't blame the theatre company for coming up with new ideas. You hear people complain that its the same shows over and over, but then if they work and are 'fan favourites' then you have to keep some of them.

As for the new show - this is the first I've heard about it. I can't really pass judgement on it unless (aside from seeing it myself) I at least have a little more detail on the content.

Do we have a synopsis? Is it a more grittier setting than the normal Headliner shows? That might explain the reasoning for the swearing.

I must add that I'm not condoning the swearing, but I'd imagine that it would be something that's within the realms of a PG or 12A. After all, regardless of ship, they are a family environment.

They do have to strike a balance between entertaining everyone on the ship - I've seen 'comedians' who were shocking and yet others on board raved about them.

I wouldn't be surprised that if it gets a lot of negative feed back, then the offending word will be out quite sharpish.

I must add that I'm not condoning the swearing, but I'd imagine that it would be something that's within the realms of a PG or 12A. After all, regardless of ship, they are a family environment.

12A? Are you sure? You do know what passes for a 12A these days, not forgetting you can take in any age child with an adult.

The 12A film I saw yesterday (Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2) used the F word, several S epithets, as well as several specific reference to male genitalia (in anatomical detail), a lengthy joke about human excrement, and a character in a brothel doing up their flies. And lots of violence. Can't see that playing well on a P&O ship.

I have been to see Jersey Boys in London, Manchester and Las Vegas. As you can tell I love the show. The swearing is totally in context as these are boys/men from New Jersey. Certainly didn't spoil it for me.

We watched all the first performances of the Headliners production shows during Ventura Cruise N709 and thoroughly enjoyed them all, despite having seen them several times before, with the exception of the new show War Dance. I can't say we noticed any swearing during the performance, but there was a lot of unconvincing dialogue and what dancing there was was a bit ragged and not up to the Headliners' usual standards. To be fair it was their first public performance and perhaps future shows will tighten up with further rehearsal and performances, but for us, we did not enjoy the show concept or production and are unlikely to watch it again on our next P&O Cruise, whenever that might be!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't stand Gary Barlow, so last thing I want is to sit through a tribute to him. Hope he's not on our Oceana cruise next month. He was on our Ventura cruise in 2015, I didn't stay long

I have been to see Jersey Boys in London, Manchester and Las Vegas. As you can tell I love the show. The swearing is totally in context as these are boys/men from New Jersey. Certainly didn't spoil it for me.

It wasn't just the swearing, that was fortunately only at the beginning, it was the whole show as John U says above it was unconvincing and there wasn't much singing or dancing.

I always really enjoy the Headliners show and also watched all of them, despite seeing them all numerous times but wouldn't go out of my way to watch this one again.

If the pax who don't like to hear a few swear words don't turn up to the shows, it leaves a few spare seats for the rest of us.

I too have seen Jersey Boys on stage, yes, a bit of language, but come on, it is 2017 !!

Perhaps P&O needs to warn pax of the language by warning in P&O daily tabloid or sign at theatre entrance.:halo: Then pax can make their choice.

If the pax who don't like to hear a few swear words don't turn up to the shows, it leaves a few spare seats for the rest of us.

I too have seen Jersey Boys on stage, yes, a bit of language, but come on, it is 2017 !!

Perhaps P&O needs to warn pax of the language by warning in P&O daily tabloid or sign at theatre entrance.:halo: Then pax can make their choice.

The swearing didn't bother me, I was just pointing out it was a family cruise ship during the Easter Holidays. Also as I said I was just saying the new show wasn't as good as all their other ones and wanted others opinions as to what they thought. I don't need someone to tell me not to turn up as if you read my first post I asked " What does everyone think of the new show"