Another Wine Question

cruisingxpert

1 -One of the wines on the Admirals List that I like is Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti. However, I can't find it on any of the wine lists or wine by the glass. Does anyone know if it can be purchased by the glass?

2- I think I read that 3 star Mariners get a 25% discount on the Admirals wine package. Can anyone confirm?

3 - I was thinking of getting the Elite Beverage package but not sure it's worth it for someone who drinks mainly wine and champagne. Is the nicolas feuillatte champagne available by the glass in most bars or dining room?

All suggestions welcome.

There was no Chianti by the glass on the Eurodam in December. Reds were:

Santa Carolina Select Cellars Merlot

Santa Carolina Select Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

Black Opal Shiraz, Australia

Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec, Argentina

Greystone Cellars Merlot, California

Batasiolo Barbera D'asti, Italy

Meridian Pi not Noir, California

Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir, California

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia

Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot, Washington

Francis Coppola Claret, California

Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz, Australia

Thank you all. POA1 - which red would you recommend as a smooth medium body red? If I buy the Admiral package, can I leave it with bartender at my favourite bar?

Also, do you know if the Nicolas Feuillatte is available by the glass?

Yes on the Nicholas Feuillatte. Yes, you can leave a bottle of wine at a bar. I'm not sure what to tell you about the red. What do you like? Chances are that there is something similar. I'm asking because not everyone has the same idea of what medium bodied means.

There was no Chianti by the glass on the Eurodam in December. Reds were:

Santa Carolina Select Cellars Merlot

Santa Carolina Select Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

Black Opal Shiraz, Australia

Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec, Argentina

Greystone Cellars Merlot, California

Batasiolo Barbera D'asti, Italy

Meridian Pi not Noir, California

Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir, California

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia

Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot, Washington

Francis Coppola Claret, California

Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz, Australia

Is that the list for the cheaper bev package or the more expensive one?

any idea about the whites? Particularly chardonnay and sauvignon blanc?

Yes on the Nicholas Feuillatte. Yes, you can leave a bottle of wine at a bar. I'm not sure what to tell you about the red. What do you like? Chances are that there is something similar. I'm asking because not everyone has the same idea of what medium bodied means.

Thanks for responding. Love your live from and wine blogs. Pinot Noir probably my favorite - prefer Washington State ones over California. Tried Meomi pinot noir that lots of people like but wasn't a fan. Actually bought a re di renieri wine that you recommended and liked it even though it probably was a more heavy bodied wine.

Also love Gordon Estate Chardonnay from Columbia Valley.

That's all the wines by the glass. You can see the prices here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/08b0000d-60cb-4efc-9ad0-a3fa8b1b0c13/4fb5426dfe13b798a7725cdd922264d1

Bear in mind that this list was from December, pre price increase. So, if you use $8 as your SBP basis, you'll get an idea of what is available.

Thanks for responding. Love your live from and wine blogs. Pinot Noir probably my favorite - prefer Washington State ones over California. Tried Meomi pinot noir that lots of people like but wasn't a fan. Actually bought a re di renieri wine that you recommended and liked it even though it probably was a more heavy bodied wine.

Also love Gordon Estate Chardonnay from Columbia Valley.

If you are on the Signature Beverage Package, try the Black Opal Shiraz. It's as close as you're going to get to a Pinot Noir on the SBP.

There is a Chianti available by the carafe. Melini for $23 which is the equivalent of 3 glasses. I be willing to bet that the wine steward can find a per glass price for you.

Don't forget that they'll "taste" you on the wines by the glass. Just ask nicely.

If you are on the Signature Beverage Package, try the Black Opal Shiraz. It's as close as you're going to get to a Pinot Noir on the SBP.

There is a Chianti available by the carafe. Melini for $23 which is the equivalent of 3 glasses. I be willing to bet that the wine steward can find a per glass price for you.

Don't forget that they'll "taste" you on the wines by the glass. Just ask nicely.

Thank you. I'm debating the elite beverage package because I like nice champagne and wine and the SBP has few decent choices. I don't drink a lot so my other thought is to get a Beverage Card.

Thank you. I'm debating the elite beverage package because I like nice champagne and wine and the SBP has few decent choices. I don't drink a lot so my other thought is to get a Beverage Card.

The EBP gives you every single wine by the glass with the exception of Veuve Clicqout Yellow Label. It definitely opens up your options.

From my December/January Nieuw Amsterdam cruise:

Navigator's Choice:

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Admiral's Choice:

Tangley Oaks Chardonny, California

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France

Wild Horse Chardonnay, California

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

My favorite Sauvignon Blanc is Villa Maria and is available for purchase by the glass (if the Bar has it) or bottle. While not part of a package, I have bought the bottle, have it stored at a Bar, but the bottle can be obtained to be served anywhere on the ship, including the MDR and Pinnacle Grill. Buying by the bottle was more inexpensive than buying by the glass. This was a tip provided to me by a very guest-oriented Bartender and was something that I did not know could be done.

From my December/January Nieuw Amsterdam cruise:

Navigator's Choice:

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Admiral's Choice:

Tangley Oaks Chardonny, California

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France

Wild Horse Chardonnay, California

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

My favorite Sauvignon Blanc is Villa Maria and is available for purchase by the glass (if the Bar has it) or bottle. While not part of a package, I have bought the bottle, have it stored at a Bar, but the bottle can be obtained to be served anywhere on the ship, including the MDR and Pinnacle Grill. Buying by the bottle was more inexpensive than buying by the glass. This was a tip provided to me by a very guest-oriented Bartender and was something that I did not know could be done.

Thanks, to both of you. our typical evening is a glas of wine in a bar, preferably with music, and a glass with dinner. A third glass usually gets in somewhere for me. I am surprised that you can have a bottle stored at a bar. I often drink Chardonnay in the bar and have a glass of sauvignon blanc in the dining room.