Carnival discounts?

mrmoose1947

Ive been planning a cruise for later this year. I have literally checked dozens of Carnival cruises. I check box's for discounts, yes over 55, yes military, yes past guest, I have yet to see a single dollar discounted from the regular rate. Does Carnival even have discounts? If not, why do they ask?

They're not really discounts. Those entries will help populate any corresponding rates in effect at the moment. They have a different "sale" every few days, usually as you get closer to the cruise. A popular way to book is to book early saver (a very restricted fare) and then get the price drops throughout the months until the cruise.

thank you for your response, makes sense. We want to cruise on Dream, in September, I am worried if we wait too long the date we want will sell out. This will be our second cruise on Dream, we love the ship. Also we are looking to go up to a balcony cabin, we had ocean view last time, not sure balcony is worth the extra money, but it's what she wants, and I cannot deny her. Any thoughts?

Get a cove balcony. It is the lowest priced balcony category. Pick one below the midship dining room. Avoid the cabins under the galley. Cove balcony cabins are closer to the water(deck 2) and you don't have to look at the hot tubs on the Promenade deck(deck 5).

We always book way in advance....book early saver which has a price guarantee....this way, you get the cabin you want and if/when the price drops, you just fill out the price guarantee form and they will adjust your price...

If, like me, you don't have the time to check the website daily for price drops, there is a website that you can sign up for alerts....it's about $1 per cruise watch....but it is handy....some people refer to that website as the fishy site.....

There is also a rhythm on pricing....cruising in the summer will usually be the most expensive, also when you will find the most families with children cruising....fall is cheaper due to hurricane season....holidays are more....after new years, Jan/Feb/Mar can be inexpensive as long as you don't hit any of the winter/spring school breaks....I think the best deals are found between Thanksgiving and Christmas when everyone is busy with the holidays....

Hope that helps

yes it does, the deck 2 balcony cabins are sold out, and others are close. argh. i want a mid ship cabin, so i'm limited, and she wanta a balcony, so i have to have one. i was told lower was best as there would be less sway motion

Some travel agents will be able to negotiate a lower price by tapping into group discounts and pass the savings on to you. Others simply split their commission with you. I've seen lower prices for NCL cruises through certain big box travel agencies, but I don't think they offer them on Carnival.

I'm a fan of the verandah deck, but any deck midship that has staterooms above and below would be good. The higher floors aren't really much of a problem for movement unless you're on the top two floors. And those are usually forward anyway.

We like what is typically Deck 7 - between two floors of cabins. We also prefer being toward the aft - convenient to lido 2 floors up, promenade 2 floors down, comedy club, Alchemy etc.

And yes the balconies are really worth the money. We enjoyed our cove but it had pros and cons vs a standard; we had a lifeboat above partially blocking nights sky but it also kept us very shaded and was more private.

I would book now and watch for price drops...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If, like me, you don't have the time to check the website daily for price drops, there is a website that you can sign up for alerts....it's about $1 per cruise watch....but it is handy....some people refer to that website as the fishy site.....

Is there any way to decode or offer a further clue as to the name of the website that is called "the fishy site"?

Is there any way to decode or offer a further clue as to the name of the website that is called "the fishy site"?

LOL I was just wondering the same thing!

What you're booking as a vacation on CCL combined with above (drop last letter)

Others swear by website, I am far less impressed.

And in reference to your fares question, despite what you check, the cruise price is almost always the exact same (early saver usually $20 per person cheaper than past guest)

Keep in mind a few things - 1. Booking a cruise for sept in April is already a late-ish booking (I usually book 9-18 months out), 2. Sept in the Caribbean is the heart of hurricane season so you are already looking at some of the lowest prices available. So seeing 'discounted' rates may or may not happen. You'll see that more way out when they are trying to start selling a cruise or close to sailing when they are trying to move the remaining cabins.

Ref the 'fishy' site. Google is your friend. If you Google 'cruise' fare monitoring sites and keep 'fish'-y in mind when you look at the results, you can't miss it, in your 'net'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What you're booking as a vacation on CCL combined with above (drop last letter)

Others swear by website, I am far less impressed.

And in reference to your fares question, despite what you check, the cruise price is almost always the exact same (early saver usually $20 per person cheaper than past guest)

Thank you for the additional clues! Had not heard of that site before....

yes it does, the deck 2 balcony cabins are sold out, and others are close. argh. i want a mid ship cabin, so i'm limited, and she wanta a balcony, so i have to have one. i was told lower was best as there would be less sway motion

Sway you say? It's all in your head. We have been in aft extended balcony cabin deck 8, and forward cabin (3 cabins from very front) as high as deck 9, and have not noticed any swaying motion. Even in 50 knot winds and rain.

Sway you say? It's all in your head. We have been in aft extended balcony cabin deck 8, and forward cabin (3 cabins from very front) as high as deck 9, and have not noticed any swaying motion. Even in 50 knot winds and rain.

I wish I could say the same. We generally sail balcony mid ship, deck 7 or 8. This last sailing we were on Deck 10 in a spa suite. The 1st 2 sea days were the worst we ever experienced. It rained and stormed almost 2 days straight. There was a LOT of sway, you could even feel it in the dining room, Deck 4 AFT.

We were fine, but there were a LOT that were not. Bought another lanyard in the shop on day 2 b/c my daughter broke hers. Overheard the shop person comment that they were running out of motion sickness meds ... that says a lot.

The biggest thing I miss from my cruise (aside from not cooking, worrying or anything) is being rocked to sleep in our aft balcony room (Deck 7). Very subtle and not at all nauseating.

Back in the day Apple used to say about their Mac computers, save early and save often.

I transferred this wisdom to cruising: book early and check prices often.

We all have preferences for cabin location. Pick one in the price category where you're comfortable, go, learn, enjoy.

If you're worried about motion sickness visit your local drugstore and buy some OTC bonine. Very inexpensive.

And maybe you'll return home addicted and knowing more about your own comfort zone for cabin location.

Back in the day Apple used to say about their Mac computers, save early and save often.

I transferred this wisdom to cruising: book early and check prices often..

That reminds me of voting back in the 60's.

Vote early, vote often.