Caribbean Princess Post Dry Dock-Hits and Misses

parrottfam

We have two cruises booked on the CB and we are considering cancelling because of these reviews. Wish we heard some positives! Just doesn't sound like Princess standards.

I hope that someone in the corporate office is paying attention to the concerns.

We are not alone in our thoughts about canceling.

We need an episode of Undercover Bosses to check this out.

We were on both the 6th and 20th. Yes, there were a few minor issues. We didn't have hot water in our shower for 4 days but we managed fine. We didn't care for the buffet but we very seldom go there anyway. Food was very good. There is always too much. The Crown Grill was excellent, as usual. We dined there four times and everything was delicious.

There are always issues when a ship comes out of dry dock -we all knew that. So, if you think you might be unhappy, then don't book it.

The staff was outstanding, so friendly and helpful. Customer service went above and beyond to help people. I was getting so tired of people complaining. There was one man at "our" bar that was trying to get people togther to sue Princess. And the drunker he got, the louder and more obnoxious he got. I felt so bad for the bartenders.

Then there were all the people that wanted their money back. I really am starting to believe that some people cruise just in hopes of getting some money back. And then there are the people where the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "did they compensate you for it?".

We have turned into a society of me, me, me. It is all about me!!!

We were on both the 6th and 20th. Yes, there were a few minor issues. We didn't have hot water in our shower for 4 days but we managed fine. We didn't care for the buffet but we very seldom go there anyway. Food was very good. There is always too much. The Crown Grill was excellent, as usual. We dined there four times and everything was delicious.

There are always issues when a ship comes out of dry dock -we all knew that. So, if you think you might be unhappy, then don't book it.

The staff was outstanding, so friendly and helpful. Customer service went above and beyond to help people. I was getting so tired of people complaining. There was one man at "our" bar that was trying to get people togther to sue Princess. And the drunker he got, the louder and more obnoxious he got. I felt so bad for the bartenders.

Then there were all the people that wanted their money back. I really am starting to believe that some people cruise just in hopes of getting some money back. And then there are the people where the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "did they compensate you for it?".

We have been on Caribbean Princess for over 100 days so she is our favorite of all. We love the size and the feel of her. I am relived to see your comments.

I do agree that there are a lot of folks who think that they have a lawsuit for every little thing. There was a cruiser on Celbrity whose successful attempts at getting reimbursement as a result of posting her comments everywhere who was eventually BANNED from all RCCL owned ships.

We have also seen many complaining Transatlantic cruisers for whom everything is wrong and the Pursers desk is bombarded with the complaints. My favorites are those who announce LOUDLY that there has been nothing for them to do and that they wanted to get off.

I have twice been compensated for NOTHING by the Pursers desk because I was being so kind and understanding to them. Flowers and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered on two different cruises.

Fortunately we have two months to make a decision. I await the reviews by subsequent cruisers.

I can't believe you are ok not having hot water for 4 days and apparently think other people should be too. I would not be ok with it, besides being uncomfortable I don't believe I would feel clean showering in cold water for 4 day, not to mention not being able to wash my hair. I've never been on a cruise where so many people were complaining that I "got tired of it." That tells me there is something wrong with the ship / cruise not the people. I don't understand people who feel that companies should not be held accountable for taking peoples money and offering a less than desirable (less than advertised) product . I hope Princess improves the conditions and food on this ship before I embark.

I can't believe you are ok not having hot water for 4 days and apparently think other people should be too. I would not be ok with it, besides being uncomfortable I don't believe I would feel clean showering in cold water for 4 day, not to mention not being able to wash my hair. I've never been on a cruise where so many people were complaining that I "got tired of it." That tells me there is something wrong with the ship / cruise not the people. I don't understand people who feel that companies should not be held accountable for taking peoples money and offering a less than desirable (less than advertised) product . I hope Princess improves the conditions and food on this ship before I embark.

They gave us another cabin to shower in. Yes, a little inconvenient but we were at sea with not much else to do. We had fun with the cabin. We tried to offer it to many of the crew for a boom boom cabin. They sent chocolate covered strawberries and called everyday to check on us.

They gave us another cabin to shower in. Yes, a little inconvenient but we were at sea with not much else to do. We had fun with the cabin. We tried to offer it to many of the crew for a boom boom cabin. They sent chocolate covered strawberries and called everyday to check on us.

Sandy did you get my email?

Bananavan,

Well said.

They do keep very good records on every passenger and know every time you complain or get $$ from them. And I do know they do check you out. Just like taking tips off - the waiters and stewards are told.

You catch more bees with honey - or whatever the saying is. It just doesn't pay to scream at any customer service, they can knock off the late fee but if you start yelling, they won't help you at all.

My thoughts exactly, Beach710. You pay good money for a cruise and not having hot water for 4 days would upset me. Almost bordering on a health risk. Having to use another cabin would be a real pain. Princess could have at least comped you a meal in Crown Grill. Not sure Chocolate covered strawberries and a few calls would cut it. Not something I would consider me, me, me. The buffet situation is my main concern. I'm sure I'll not starve but good food is one of the things I look forward to while cruising. We always go to the buffet everyday for breakfast. I'm sure I don't want breakfast again in the evening. Peanut butter and Jelly, that is something I eat when I'm too lazy to cook. Paying extra for good food in the Crown grill is also not a solution for us. I too will cancel if the reviews don't improve by my final payment date in Nov.,especially since I have a backup cruise booked.

Edited by tartan cruiser
more information

I can't believe you are ok not having hot water for 4 days and apparently think other people should be too. I would not be ok with it, besides being uncomfortable I don't believe I would feel clean showering in cold water for 4 day, not to mention not being able to wash my hair.

Guess you have never chartered a sail boat in the Caribbean. Water is tight - ten years ago we paid 25 cents per gallon on some islands to fill our fresh water tanks.

You learn to jump in the ocean, suds up (body and head), then do a fast fresh water rinse from the hose on the stern. And many times it is a little chilly.

Guess you have never chartered a sail boat in the Caribbean. Water is tight - ten years ago we paid 25 cents per gallon on some islands to fill our fresh water tanks.

You learn to jump in the ocean, suds up (body and head), then do a fast fresh water rinse from the hose on the stern. And many times it is a little chilly.

If I wanted to rough it on vacation there are plenty of ways to do so. That's not my idea of fun.

It's fine if that's what you like but don't expect other people to pay money for a cruise and be happy about that lack of basic facilities in their cabin because there are worst things in this world or because that is normal on some vacations.

I don't not believe asking for a partial refund or some financial consideration for the lack of hot water in your cabin is out of line. (I have never asked for any type of financial consideration on any of my cruises.)

There are always complainers on every cruise, and I try to steer clear of them.

With regard to the problems with the buffet, the people I talked to were NOT chronic complainers. I thought their points were well made, and their attitude was more one of disappointment that Princess had not lived up to its own high standards. It also seemed odd to me that Princess upgraded the beds in the cabins at the same time it visibly downgraded the food.

You said in your post that you seldom go to the buffet anyway, so it makes sense that the buffet changes didn't really affect you. However, there is a contingent of Princess passengers, of whom I am one, who loved the past Princess buffets, and really appreciated being able to have MDR-quality food without having to get dressed up or take 2 hours for a meal. Also, if the large number of passengers who ate dinner in the buffet went down to the MDR for dinner instead as a result of the buffet downgrading its food, the MDR would have serious crowding and staffing problems. Serving high quality, MDR food in the buffet at dinnertime seemed like a genius way for Princess to use this otherwise underutilized space at dinnertime, and, to me, it made little sense to change it except to find new ways to cut costs. This particular cost-cutting measure disappointed a lot of passengers based on those I talked to, who greatly enjoyed their cruise otherwise.

Having a shower with hot water is a basic expectation on a modern-day cruise ship. I'm sure that things are different on a sailboat as another poster has said. Heck, things are also different when you go camping, but we weren't on a sailboat or camping, and I, too, would find it a serious inconvenience to not have hot water and to have to go to another cabin to shower. I don't consider no hot water for four days to be a "minor issue."

To me it's one thing to express disappointment with a feature that Princess provided in the past but no longer provides, and quite another to be a chronic complainer. If I thought the buffet was disappointing because of "teething pains" from drydock changes, I would have been more understanding. However, based on communications from Princess before the cruise about the new World Marketplace touting Breakfast at Dinner, and the PB&J bar, the buffet changes are part of an overall Princess plan to change dining options. Because the buffet is important to me, I will avoid any ships that are reported to have these changes (especially Caribbean Princess). I had an excellent cruise, but my cruise would have been much better without the buffet changes. If the buffet changes had been "fixed" in four days like your hot water, I might feel differently, but, if anything, the buffet got worse as the cruise progressed.

You say that Princess Customer Service went out of its way to help people with problems, and I'm sure it did, some or even most of the time. Was it helpful all of the time? No. For example, I know of passengers that experienced problems with the self-service laundry that were not addressed by customer service. (Not to mention that the self-service laundries were cut to half their size.) People who don't use the laundries won't care. But, a self-service laundry is a service that Princess provides that other cruise lines don't, so I was disappointed at the inconvenience this change caused.

Everyone is different. I'm not defending chronic complainers (especially loud, drunk ones). But, honest disappointments, or problems with cabins, laundry, plumbing etc. do not make a person a chronic complainer. People planning future cruises on Caribbean Princess have a right to know what to expect, so they can make a decision of whether they are getting the type of cruise experience that is important to them, and whether they will feel the cruise is a good value for the money they are paying. In particular, some people won't care about the buffet changes, and others will care a lot.

Agree with Patty. You could get to the tables out back- enjoyed the day in Bermuda watching the sailboats practice for America's Cup. After that it was too cool to even try.

Just a caution about cabin E721. Starboard mini suite closest to the front- but still very far aft. I had always wanted to try this cabin and just lucked into it at the last minute. But the balcony floor was filthy and covered in metal bits. Had the steward clean it but it was still bad- and of course we stepped on the sharp bits.

Bigger problem was the smell on the balcony. It was foul! We thought it was from the floor and the steward worked on it more. By the third day we had the supervisor in to help. She was wonderful but said it was a vent that was smelling. She also said our balcony was used for welding by the dry dock guys. She was not shy about her anger at them for their mess. She said they were lazy and did not do nearly enough of what they were supposed to do. She mentioned the tv upgrade in particular. She did offer us a different cabin but it was far forward and I know those can be tough in rough weather. We decided to stay.

In hindsight- always 20/20- we should have moved. Though the weather was cool we could never even step out without the horrible stench.

Good luck to all CB cruisers- we are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had similar problems on the Emerald being on the first cruise after drydock.. We had a mini on Emerald deck. Our cabin was still not touched with any renovations. During the cruise a worker came to our room, opened the ceiling & cleaned out the air conditioner which was not working. Thus now the cabin smelled of the dust & my wife who has asthma became ill. Other cabins had other problems, flooding of rooms & many other problems. On the other hand, we talked to other guests who bragged about the changes. Luck of the draw, I will never go on a cruise after drydock again. Now I am booked for 14 day in Oct. on this ship & after reading the recent comments may have to cancel.

Tartan cruiser- we were on the regal last month and the buffet was incredible. Always a ton of options. I do not like buffets in general, but really liked how many servers were behind the buffet constantly refreshing the food. We are in the buffet more than any other one location. Disappointed to hear that the improvements to the CB did not make the buffet at least a little similar to the regal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto on the Regal MDR, best ever, not so for me at lunch in the buffet, selection was limited so had lunch in the Mdr when it was opened & very enjoyable, excellent burgers.

What I am seeing is that the other ships are still great, but that the Caribbean Princess is not. Is it possible that the ship, being so old, is being used as a training facility?

I am about three days away from canceling the 27 day cruise in September. So far, no comments have said that the food was much better than that which the first group of cruisers post refit were presented.

We have a mini suite and are flying Upper Class to LHR. We have ten days before the cruise during which time we will be touring parts of England. None of this will be inexpensive and if our days are spent chatting with others about how bad the food is, that will be a LOT of money poorly spent.

I hope that Princess is paying attention. I am a Princess cheerleader but I am wiling to walk away from the brand if things are as they sound.

I was looking forward to my cruise on the "new" Caribbean Princess, but after reading this I am very disappointed.

Fortunately, my cruise is still a long way off. Hopefully, this will give Princess time to work out some of the problems. If I don't see some improvement I have lots of time to switch cruises.

I too am disappointed. We have a TA booked for September and were really looking forward to seeing the re-done ship, having spent 9 nights on her a few years ago. The photos etc. on the website look great so I was pretty excited, but reading the reviews here and elsewhere is worrying. One thing we enjoyed then was the buffet, though even then it was hard to find a table at times, and now it seems it will be even harder. And how many cruisers really want PB&J sandwiches? Dining room food was also great back then, so why change things for the worse? I really hope Princess is taking note and changing things for the better as the weeks go by. Off to try and find some encouraging reviews:rolleyes:

I too am disappointed. We have a TA booked for September and were really looking forward to seeing the re-done ship, having spent 9 nights on her a few years ago. The photos etc. on the website look great so I was pretty excited, but reading the reviews here and elsewhere is worrying. One thing we enjoyed then was the buffet, though even then it was hard to find a table at times, and now it seems it will be even harder. And how many cruisers really want PB&J sandwiches? Dining room food was also great back then, so why change things for the worse? I really hope Princess is taking note and changing things for the better as the weeks go by. Off to try and find some encouraging reviews:rolleyes:

Same here; we're on the 27 day in September, too, and the negative reports on the food are worrying us. Final payment is coming soon, and we're not sure what we should do. I hope we start seeing some positive reviews soon. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner?? Never!

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner?? Never!

I'm fairly certain that on at least some nights there will be at least one other option. :cool:

Could be that the renovations on this ship are an attempt at social engineering. MDRs remain "paid for" and will serve as the primary dining option for dinner. If you don't want that, then there will be alternative venues as options. Until several years ago, the Buffet was that alternative option, and it too was "paid for". Then came "for fee" Specialty Restaurants. Then came "for a nominal fee" alternative options. We could be seeing the transition to a point where the Buffet serves Breakfast and Lunch, and dinner will either be the MDR, a "for a substantial fee" Specialty Restaurants or "for a nominal fee" Alternative Restaurants. If they turn the Buffet into something that most people wouldn't miss if it were gone, then the social engineering will be complete. Perhaps they are half the way there already. I could definitely see where the economics of running a Buffet for dinner (in tandem with three operational MDRs) is a money loser and how the cruise line might want to steer passengers to fee-based alternative dining should they choose to skip the MDRs. Wouldn't be the most illogical move.

Or, it could be that the negative reports are a bit over exaggerated and that "different" isn't really the same as "terrible" and that the Buffet will once again reclaim favor amongst passengers.

We were on the 4/6 and 20th cruise. Had a hot water issue in the shower but they were right on it although it did take a few days to fix it. Gave us another cabin to shower in. Customer service was outstanding whenever I stopped with a question or needed help with something. I did witness many people starting a conversation with them by screaming and yelling at them. Not the best way to gt help.

We were very happy with the food in the MDR. Always way too much. I do agree that the pastries were not the best - dry but we try to stay away from them. They did get better towards the end. Wonder if they had anew chef atthe beginning. Now, the dinner rolls - I had to hold myself back - they are so good!!! I like the buffet on the Royal and Regal better. Only went there twice and thought it was so so. I never saw a peanut butter station. But the International's food was great. We enjoyed the other restaurants also. The Crown Grill is always our favorite

Yes, the pool area was a little messy from the new carpet. During the first week, there were fibers around from the cutting of new carpet but they had crew cleaning it up. The new carpet was so soft that it was worth it.

I have two more cruises booked on her and have no plans to cancel.

Just bought eggs at our local grocery 18/$.59 and 18 oz peanut butter for $.99. Breakfast for dinner and PB & J sounds like they are trying to make cheap foods sound revolutionary and appealing.

Doesn't sound over exaggerated to me. When I cruise I look forward to foods that I don't normally eat at home. I will speak with my wallet and cancel my cruise. I really want to see the new locks and the Panama Canal but these cuts are the final straw. Economy is too good at the moment. They think they can do whatever they want and customers will accept it. If we leave someone else will take our place. I guess that is the reality. I'll just have to search for something that works for us.