Cruiseboy in Hawaii ~ Live from Radiance of the Seas (5/5/17)

No, I was referencing (affectionately) 2004, when we first met you and Pete. We did not do that sailing in 2007. Sounds as though we really missed something (someone) different?

NRayH

Yes, we met you and Janet in 2004, Vision to and from Hawaii (b2b). It was one of my favorite Hawaii cruises, all the more so because we met you. You were also on Serenade Hawaii RT from San Diego in autumn of 2007, where the roll call thread was, shall we say, interesting. It became more interesting every evening from about 5pm on, if you get my drift. It was the most interesting roll call thread I've ever participated in. (To refresh your memory, we had to turn back to Hawaii after 1-1/2 days at sea for a medical emergency. Maritza, the Concierge, spent the next 3-1/2 days listening to everyone complain about their potentially-missed flights in San Diego.)

Now I'm curious lol :confused:

Now you know! :cool::cool::cool:

Yes, we met you and Janet in 2004, Vision to and from Hawaii (b2b). It was one of my favorite Hawaii cruises, all the more so because we met you. You were also on Serenade Hawaii RT from San Diego in autumn of 2007, where the roll call thread was, shall we say, interesting. It became more interesting every evening from about 5pm on, if you get my drift. It was the most interesting roll call thread I've ever participated in. (To refresh your memory, we had to turn back to Hawaii after 1-1/2 days at sea for a medical emergency. Maritza, the Concierge, spent the next 3-1/2 days listening to everyone complain about their potentially-missed flights in San Diego.)

:eek::eek::eek:

YES !!! I remember that trip. As to the Roll Call, we have seen a number of "interesting" ones, and a larger number of more "civil/sedate".

The "turn-back" was absolutely necessary, and whomever was calling the "shots", in my opinion, did a wonderful job of handling the disruption, and trying to assuage the passenger disturbance, like opening up all the telephone lines (gratis) so folks could make other arrangements.

We were flying, using mileage rewards, and could not get an immediate flight back home from San Diego, However, I was a "real trooper" in "putting up" with an extra two days in San Diego. :cool:

Yes, Maritza was her usual "Class Act", although, at one point she was almost in tears, after being berated by a passenger who acted as though the whole situation was her fault. I surely miss her. It was really nice to see her again when we were on Allure. Of course, you and Pete were also on that sailing, so you recall. I wish I had your recollection ability. :o

Eric, sorry for high-jacking your thread. :o

NRayH

:eek::eek::eek:

LOL

YES !!! I remember that trip. As to the Roll Call, we have seen a number of "interesting" ones, and a larger number of more "civil/sedate".

The "turn-back" was absolutely necessary, and whomever was calling the "shots", in my opinion, did a wonderful job of handling the disruption, and trying to assuage the passenger disturbance, like opening up all the telephone lines (gratis) so folks could make other arrangements.

We were flying, using mileage rewards, and could not get an immediate flight back home from San Diego, However, I was a "real trooper" in "putting up" with an extra two days in San Diego. :cool:

Yes, Maritza was her usual "Class Act", although, at one point she was almost in tears, after being berated by a passenger who acted as though the whole situation was her fault. I surely miss her. It was really nice to see her again when we were on Allure. Of course, you and Pete were also on that sailing, so you recall. I wish I had your recollection ability.

Eric, sorry for high-jacking your thread. :o

NRayH

Maritza was reduced to tears a couple of times, sadly. The ship did everything in their power to allow people to call their airlines, etc, in order to change plans. Sorry you were affected and had to spend two extra days in one of the best cities in the US. :D And yes, I so enjoyed seeing her on Allure again.

Erik,

What did you do at Diamond Head. Did you hike up or a tour

Enjoy the marvelous views of Honolulu [emoji6]

9226f3ecd5bcc5c7432fea2e12aeca23.jpg

No tour necessary. very easy to do on your own. Everything you need to know about the hike can be found here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html.

You can taxi or uber to the crater parking lot ( I walked from my hotel in Waikiki)

If you go early, you can enjoy a beautiful sunrise before you begin the hike.

3a1151de5bdd3ea93332b99efad8217d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. We are booked on b2b in September on Explorer but Radiance to Hawaii is £1000 cheaper. Seriously thinking about changing

I would seriously switch to Radiance. The Hawaii portion on Explorer is not thrilling at all. Not enough Hawaii IMO.

Thanks for the info. We are booked on b2b in September on Explorer but Radiance to Hawaii is £1000 cheaper. Seriously thinking about changing

Alex, you are on two west coast Explorer cruises right? I would take the Radiance cruise. Though that flight home from Honolulu might be a killer for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Alex, you are on two west coast Explorer cruises right? I would take the Radiance cruise. Though that flight home from Honolulu might be a killer for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hi Bill,

we are on the last Alaska and the first P Coastal. Return flights with Air Transat to Vancouver isn't bad. I didn't realise Hawaii was so far away. 5 hour flight back.

If we decide on Radiance, we will probably fly from Honolulu and spend a night in Vancouver to break up the journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Erik,

I'm reading your blog now, really enjoying it. I'm doing the reverse sailing in September and am bookmarking all your excursions and tour companies. Love that you hiked Diamond Head, now I'm considering how to spend my 3 post cruise days.

great job :cool:

Great pictures and review. DH and I will be on the Sept 8 sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii. I read the ship has lots of wear and tear. That the ship is showing its age. Did you notice this?

A few rusty spots and some wear. Nothing terrible.

Erik,

I'm reading your blog now, really enjoying it. I'm doing the reverse sailing in September and am bookmarking all your excursions and tour companies. Love that you hiked Diamond Head, now I'm considering how to spend my 3 post cruise days.

great job :cool:

TY..... Loved hiking Diamond Head. The walk to Leonard's was very easy afterwards. FYI lol

• 4 weeks later...
Loved this cruise so much, I'm doing it again in 2019 (travel budget willing ) . Price IS higher than what I paid for the 2017 sailing, hopefully I can make it work financially.

My fate here is with the price drop gods [emoji33]

Same stops just a slightly different order . Also 12 nights

04348d1aa1412e1a11c3e6666263160f.jpg

After reading your review, I knew I had to book this cruise!

Thanks Erik.

Laurie

A little box of heaven

f0894d296449411a780bb7f493b37f07.jpg

ecb6a9d11ec44eeadc0cca5fe2cfbd02.jpg

OMG! You got that right, we'll be heading there in October, no cruise though!

If I may recommend, to anyone going, when on Maui you cannot miss breakfast at Hula Grill Just a few blocks down the street from the pier. Best Moco Loco we have ever tasted!

OMG! You got that right, we'll be heading there in October, no cruise though!

If I may recommend, when on Maui you cannot miss breakfast at Hula Grill Just a few blocks down the street from the pier. Best Moco Loco we have ever tasted!

I had lunch at Hula Grill in Waikiki one day. I agree. I'll have to try the breakfast [emoji505]

Malasadas are extremely difficult to pass up though

• 4 weeks later...