State Department issues Travel Alert througout Europe until Sept 2017

OlsSalt

This has really caused the Voyage of the Vikings cruise to shoot up in price.

Since we are going on the VOV I have been tracking both openings and price - I have not seen the prices go up and so far there are only two partial VOV cabin classes that are listed sold out. All cabin classes are open still for the full 38 day, again seeing the same price that we started out with when we made our reservation last year. Though one does wonder if that pretty steep Neptune price for a partial transit is now in fact only for the Pinnacle suite, if they have sold out the rest of the Neptune suites.

The VOV cabin availability is a surprise to me, since this route had such a reputation for early full bookings. Our payment was just due, so it will be interesting to see what the bookings look like over the next few weeks. Will there be price reduction to fill the rest of the cabins? We will certainly be watching this.

There is a pretty active Roll Call going for the full 38 day VOV trip, and some of us are adding an extra 18 days to get back to the west coast on the Maasdam who will be in port the same day we arrive back in Boston on the Rotterdam. So we will just roll our suit cases off one ship and roll them on to the other - then we will be the 38+18 day VoV group.

Since we are going on the VOV I have been tracking both openings and price - I have not seen the prices go up and so far there are only two partial VOV cabin classes that are listed sold out. All cabin classes are open still for the full 38 day, again seeing the same price that we started out with when we made our reservation last year. Though one does wonder if that pretty steep Neptune price for a partial transit is now in fact only for the Pinnacle suite, if they have sold out the rest of the Neptune suites.

The VOV cabin availability is a surprise to me, since this route had such a reputation for early full bookings. Our payment was just due, so it will be interesting to see what the bookings look like over the next few weeks. Will there be price reduction to fill the rest of the cabins? We will certainly be watching this.

There is a pretty active Roll Call going for the full 38 day VOV trip, and some of us are adding an extra 18 days to get back to the west coast on the Maasdam who will be in port the same day we arrive back in Boston on the Rotterdam. So we will just roll our suit cases off one ship and roll them on to the other - then we will be the 38+18 day VoV group.

Sorry, I wish we were going this year! We booked the 2018 20 day VOV while on NA last month. Our base fare for a Signature Suite on deck 6 (Zuiderdam) was $5549pp. HAL's website lists the same cruise right now for $7299pp. I'm not sure how we got such a good deal or if the price just shot up in the past few weeks? (Not to mention, we also picked up OBC for booking on board.)

Edited by kevingastreich
ship name missing.

Sorry, I wish we were going this year! We booked the 2018 20 day VOV while on NA last month. Our base fare for a Signature Suite on deck 6 (Zuiderdam) was $5549pp. HAL's website lists the same cruise right now for $7299pp. I'm not sure how we got such a good deal or if the price just shot up in the past few weeks? (Not to mention, we also picked up OBC for booking on board.)

I have been tracking the Rotterdam VOV prices for this year.

Lucky you for getting a great price on what the Zuiderdam is offering for this cruise 2018. Interesting they will be using one of the larger Vista ships next year. Maybe they did price it out of the market using only the smaller Rotterdam or the even smaller Maasdsam, as in years past.

Plus looks like you get three stops in Greenland and we only get 2 on our 2017 full RT 38 day route. I was looking at the Aug 2018 Copenhagen to New York Zuiderdam route assuming that is the one you booked. Good pick.

I have been tracking the Rotterdam VOV prices for this year.

Lucky you for getting a great price on what the Zuiderdam is offering for this cruise 2018. Interesting they will be using one of the larger Vista ships next year. Maybe they did price it out of the market using only the smaller Rotterdam or the even smaller Maasdsam, as in years past.

Plus looks like you get three stops in Greenland and we only get 2 on our 2017 full RT 38 day route. I was looking at the Aug 2018 Copenhagen to New York Zuiderdam route assuming that is the one you booked. Good pick.

Yes, that is the one. The only thing I can think of is that with the State Dept. Europe advisory, the demand for other cruises went up.

I would take that map with a (large) grain of salt. The research was apparently done by the "Crime Prevention Research Center", an organization headed by largely-discredited gun activist John Lott. He has a record of manipulating statistics about firearms and gun violence. See, e.g., https://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/28/gun-researcher-john-lott-offers-false-firearm-s/196621

I would take ANYTHING form Breitbart "Fake News" with a top loader full of salt.

I'm not sure I'd take anything to heart from the current State Department.

I would take ANYTHING form Breitbart "Fake News" with a top loader full of salt.

I'm not sure I'd take anything to heart from the current State Department.

You can corroborate anything you want using additional resources. Don't discard the messenger, and miss the message.

You can corroborate anything you want using additional resources. Don't discard the messenger, and miss the message.

If the message is false, from false and discredited sources, it does not matter.

The State Department will issue an alert if there is a sneeze right now. If you are very risk-averse, stay at home. If you weigh risk and common sense, go where you want. It's that simple.

Absolutely. Far more concerned about traffic accidents, pedestrian accidents, or catching a cold than we are about the threat of terrorism in Europe.

We are more concerned about our personal safety when we visit some cities in America than we are about Europe or Asia for that matter.

I suspect that you should remain vigilant even if you travelling after Sept. 1 7 as we frequently do.

If the message is false, from false and discredited sources, it does not matter.

The State Department will issue an alert if there is a sneeze right now. If you are very risk-averse, stay at home. If you weigh risk and common sense, go where you want. It's that simple.

I seem to recall that HAL has dropped some European ports of call over security concerns? I could be mistaken on that but it seems to ring a bell. Thanks.

I seem to recall that HAL has dropped some European ports of call over security concerns?
Cruise lines are some of the most risk-averse travel providers on earth, so it's unsurprising when there are port cancellations after relatively minor concerns are raised. It's not a good indicator of whether a serious risk actually exists.

The State Dept issued an alert, not a warning and offered a few practical tips. Sneezing into your elbow was not among them. But that always remains good advice. Not sure why data reports that one can independently corroborate are called "fake news".

The State Dept issued an alert, not a warning and offered a few practical tips. Sneezing into your elbow was not among them. But that that always remains good advice. Not sure why data reports that one can independently corroborate are called "fake news".

It would get political if I actually responded. But, I can also find "data reports" that "independently corroborate" that <pick your favorite topic>. Flat Earth, climate change doesn't exist, dinosaurs were killed by a meteorite, vaccinations are bad, snowboarders are bad for resorts,...

Well really. What do you say to a State Dept. that hassles you if you want to lay on a beach in Cuba but only cautions you about travel to Egypt. World is upside down. We often wonder about them.-especially when it comes to realistic travel advisories.

Well really. What do you say to a State Dept. that hassles you if you want to lay on a beach in Cuba but only cautions you about travel to Egypt. World is upside down. We often wonder about them.-especially when it comes to realistic travel advisories.

Never know when some G*dless Communist is going to approach you on the beach in Varadero and try to recruit you as a traitor ;)

The State Dept issued an alert, not a warning and offered a few practical tips. Sneezing into your elbow was not among them. But that always remains good advice. Not sure why data reports that one can independently corroborate are called "fake news".

I know you are smarter than this -- are you trying to be an agent provocateur?

Surely you have heard of data manipulation and cherry-picking, not to mention researchers who already have a conclusion in mind and design their study in such a way that it can only confirm that conclusion.

If it's data from legitimately published, peer-reviewed sources then maybe it's worth taking seriously. But people seem unable to distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' sources of information. Schools apparently do not teach critical evaluation of research methodology, including independence of investigators, appropriate samples, and selection/application of the correct statistical tests.

As for Breitbart, they have no integrity policy (at least, not one that is publicly available), rarely issue corrections when their stories are found to be incorrect, and often cite false, incorrect or misleading sources.

Here's just one example of the kind of distortion that's unfortunately too common with them: http://www.snopes.com/transgender-filming-women-restroom/

Surely you have heard of data manipulation and cherry-picking, not to mention researchers who already have a conclusion in mind and design their study in such a way that it can only confirm that conclusion.

If it's data from legitimately published, peer-reviewed sources then maybe it's worth taking seriously. But people seem unable to distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' sources of information. Schools apparently do not teach critical evaluation of research methodology, including independence of investigators, appropriate samples, and selection/application of the correct statistical tests.

As for Breitbart, they have no integrity policy (at least, not one that is publicly available), rarely issue corrections when their stories are found to be incorrect, and often cite false, incorrect or misleading sources.

Here's just one example of the kind of distortion that's unfortunately too common with them: http://www.snopes.com/transgender-filming-women-restroom/

Busted. A data report is a good starting point to explore if, where, when, how and why the data has been skewed to fit a narrative. But you have to start somewhere. Dismissing a source out of hand up front without assessing the reliability of data itself was my issue.

Put a gun to my own head, I realize I am going to have the NYT Digest for the next 56 days of my life as my daily news source for my up coming cruise. :loudcry:

All I said was 'take it with a large grain of salt.' Which I still think is appropriate.

Sorry, my comment was not specifically directed to you. I have always found you to be a wise and thoughtful observer.

I have to direct friends to Snopes frequently.

As usual, you are a voice of reason and are able to articulate far better than I can.

I will dismiss anything from Breitbart due to their lack of integrity - any operation calling themselves a legitimate news organization would never have hired Steve Bannon or Milo Yiannoppolous.

I have to direct friends to Snopes frequently.

As usual, you are a voice of reason and are able to articulate far better than I can.

I will dismiss anything from Breitbart due to their lack of integrity - any operation calling themselves a legitimate news organization would never have hired Steve Bannon or Milo Yiannoppolous.

For the record many of Breitbart commenters give me the creeps, but as a media source they provide as much good content as any other media resources - read broadly and keep your finger on the pulse of the nation. They obviously knew something well ahead of many of the rest of us last November.

• 3 weeks later...