Reachable beach to walk on

dancingranni

You'll be near the beach at Totem Bight and going to the lighthouse. I wouldn't think it a good option for bother going back there after the tour.

I will mention, this is not a well reviewed tour, with not much recommendation to take it.

We are doing the Lighthouse,Totems and Eagles excursion at 9:15 . I believe it's 3 hours. No plans after that.

Of all the excursions we have done on our Alaska trips this is the worse one we've ever done. We had some left over OBC so the wasted it on this excursion. I wouldn't recommend it or do it again

There are some very good reviews of it on TripAdvisor, as well as a firsthand report from a friend who went on it, loved it, and had wonderful pictures. That being said, I appreciate all your replies and input. :)

Not sure what you are looking for in ocean beach but be aware that all the ports are far from the ocean but are on inland salt water with large tides. The AK state parks and the National Parks have very strict regs against taking anything off the beach. Don't know how strict the enforcement is. Ketchikan has a city beach south of the city that is easily accessible by bus that last year they didn't care about rocks you took as long as for personal use and not for sale. The HAL naturalist was not correctly informed about the Ketch city beach.

Of all the excursions we have done on our Alaska trips this is the worse one we've ever done. We had some left over OBC so the wasted it on this excursion. I wouldn't recommend it or do it again

While not the worst tour I have been on in Alaska (been there several times), I also would not recommend this tour. It is overpriced and not that impressive.

While not the worst tour I have been on in Alaska (been there several times), I also would not recommend this tour. It is overpriced and not that impressive.

My opinion as well. :) But, the OP mind's is made up, Fortunately they should have a "beach access" with this tour, since it usually has a stop near Settler's Cove? Doubt they will have any time at Totem Bight, which has the tide pools. Groups are usually moved along, in/out.

Not sure what you are looking for in ocean beach but be aware that all the ports are far from the ocean but are on inland salt water with large tides. The AK state parks and the National Parks have very strict regs against taking anything off the beach. Don't know how strict the enforcement is. Ketchikan has a city beach south of the city that is easily accessible by bus that last year they didn't care about rocks you took as long as for personal use and not for sale. The HAL naturalist was not correctly informed about the Ketch city beach.

It took me a moment to understand what you were saying. I'd love to see the reaction if you told a bar full of fisherman that they don't sail in the ocean because their home port is Juneau! :D

In Juneau, if you happen to be docked at the AJ dock, you can walk along Thane Road away from Juneau for about half a mile and you'll have several pebbled beaches to stroll on. Or you can take the public bus to Douglas Island, and at the end of the route (just a few miles) is Sandy Beach, a lovely stretch of yellow sand that has several striking mining ruins and dock piles that are a popular photography spot.

Let me not be one to encourage anyone to break the law, but feel free to fill your pockets with shells and rocks. I get a fishing license to collect seaweed or sand for my garden, but I've never heard of a beachcomber being sited for picking up shells and pretty pebbles. However, I don't encourage people to take bald eagle feathers, even when they're just lying on the beach. That is a law which is enforced.

My opinion as well. :) But, the OP mind's is made up, Fortunately they should have a "beach access" with this tour, since it usually has a stop near Settler's Cove? Doubt they will have any time at Totem Bight, which has the tide pools. Groups are usually moved along, in/out.

I don't remember getting off the boat at all.

We slowed down at Totem Bight but not long enough to actually say that that one visited Totem Bight. It was still at a distance. You see totem poles but not close enough to see anything in detail.

It took me a moment to understand what you were saying. I'd love to see the reaction if you told a bar full of fisherman that they don't sail in the ocean because their home port is Juneau! :D

In Juneau, if you happen to be docked at the AJ dock, you can walk along Thane Road away from Juneau for about half a mile and you'll have several pebbled beaches to stroll on. Or you can take the public bus to Douglas Island, and at the end of the route (just a few miles) is Sandy Beach, a lovely stretch of yellow sand that has several striking mining ruins and dock piles that are a popular photography spot.

Let me not be one to encourage anyone to break the law, but feel free to fill your pockets with shells and rocks. I get a fishing license to collect seaweed or sand for my garden, but I've never heard of a beachcomber being sited for picking up shells and pretty pebbles. However, I don't encourage people to take bald eagle feathers, even when they're just lying on the beach. That is a law which is enforced.

Thank you Cool Cruiser...your reply was exactly what I was lookin for.......NOT a criticism of my choice of excursions. Thank you.

And in anticipation of further criticism, I don't intend to fill my pockets with anything. We just want to walk on a beach in Alaska as part of our 50th anniversary trip.

Thank you Cool Cruiser...your reply was exactly what I was lookin for.......NOT a criticism of my choice of excursions. Thank you.

And in anticipation of further criticism, I don't intend to fill my pockets with anything. We just want to walk on a beach in Alaska as part of our 50th anniversary trip.

You posted on a public board. There is first hand information on this tour you booked.. And a very seasoned group of knowledgeable Alaska travelers. Sorry, if you are offended, but why would you be, since you're so sure of your decision??? Good grief.

Have a good time on your tour.

I forgot about the beach in Skagway. If you go across the bridge at the airport, just off of State street towards the helicopter pads, which is just Northwest of town and walk out towards Yakutania Point you can get on the beach there at low tide, lots of tidal pools there. The ships naturalist took us out there during one of our cruises, had a great time with him.

You posted on a public board. There is first hand information on this tour you booked.. And a very seasoned group of knowledgeable Alaska travelers. Sorry, if you are offended, but why would you be, since you're so sure of your decision??? Good grief.

Have a good time on your tour.

Probably because 1) that wasn't her question and 2) even after she assured everyone that she was comfortable with her decision, she was told that she was wrong. There's plenty of threads asking seasoned travelers their experienced options of tours. This isn't one of them.

dancinggranni, if you'd consider renting a car in Juneau, there's a number of really nice, lovely beaches Out the Road, but if not, Douglas is your nicest close beach. The beach is actually part of a historical site of a ghost mining town and it's lovely sand beach is the result of tons of mining tailings. A cab ride would be easier, but the bus more entertaining. There's not a lot of stops like going to the glacier.

We did enjoy the beach on Douglas Island at the old mining location and easy to get there. If you look on line you can find and print out a map with info on about 10-15 locations on walking trail. Most striking is the pump house on the tide flats. Great views of the ships in front of Mt Roberts. We also enjoyed Eagle Beach. Took photos but didn't touch huge eagle feather and got some sea glass from kayak launch just further out. It took quite a bit of time to get there in our rental car.

I am sorry to hijack this thread but since several of you mentioned being disappointed in the totem, lighthouse tour, I would like to ask some specifics as of why?

Here’s my experience with the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion. We boarded a bus on the pier, we drove to a decrepit boat yard and boarded a dilapidated tour boat that was listing to one side, we’ve been in the marine industry for most of our adult lives, we know boats and this boat had seen better days years ago, it looked like a 5th grader had been doing the maintenance on the boat, pretty poor. Upon boarding the boat, it reeked of mold and mildew. After the engines started we could smell diesel fuel. Once we got underway the diesel smell went away somewhat but you could still smell it. For about 2 or 3 hours we cruised by Totem Bright park, the old lighthouse, a couple of Eagle nests. The narration during the excursion was done on a cassette tape that the guy driving the boat, I can’t say Capitan would have to change tapes when we got to a certain area. I’d never recommend this excursion to anyone.

Here’s my experience with the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion. We boarded a bus on the pier, we drove to a decrepit boat yard and boarded a dilapidated tour boat that was listing to one side, we’ve been in the marine industry for most of our adult lives, we know boats and this boat had seen better days years ago, it looked like a 5th grader had been doing the maintenance on the boat, pretty poor. Upon boarding the boat, it reeked of mold and mildew. After the engines started we could smell diesel fuel. Once we got underway the diesel smell went away somewhat but you could still smell it. For about 2 or 3 hours we cruised by Totem Bright park, the old lighthouse, a couple of Eagle nests. The narration during the excursion was done on a cassette tape that the guy driving the boat, I can’t say Capitan would have to change tapes when we got to a certain area. I’d never recommend this excursion to anyone.

Thank you so much for this info. The trip has good reviews on CCL's website. Unfortunately, I did not see any other excursions that interest me. I am not interested in getting on a plane or helicopter. Are any of the other land based tours better?

I am sorry to hijack this thread but since several of you mentioned being disappointed in the totem, lighthouse tour, I would like to ask some specifics as of why?

My thoughts - you see Totem Bight but not close enough to see Totem Bight. If you want to see Totem Bight, I would suggest going there. The highlight of the trip was when they slowed the boat down really slow so that their family could waive to us as we passed their house (joking here about the highlight but this happened). I wish they had slowed it down that slow at Totem Bight. We did see eagles but I see eagles whenever I go to Alaska. We did go by the Guard Lighthouse (and I like lighthouses) but from what I understand, the cruise ship enters that area anyway and it is not one of the more scenic lighthouses. Honestly - the scenery just didn't seem that different from sailing into and out of Ketchikan anyway. While I can't go into great details about the boat, I would not disagree with EagleCW. I tried to spend most of my time outside. The crew raved about some dip that they served. I was underwhelmed. It wasn't dreadful but I can't recommend the tour.

I usually use Ketchikan as a day to relax and walk around Creek Street. Maybe visit Totem Bight or Saxman Village. Some people like the Deadliest Catch. Of the ports, Ketchikan is my least favorite - though - I do enjoy just walking around the docks and town here. This is usually a short visit time wise for me so I am never bored.

I never believe anything on the different travel web sites because it's just someones opinion. We've been to Ketchikan so many times that we normally just do walk about, up married mans trail, fish ladder, down to Creek Street, Discovery center (if you have a NP senior pass you can use it to get in there). If it was my first time to Ketchikan I think I would go out to Totem Bight state park. If you go though the ship they'll take you on a tour of town, up on the hill and give you a nice narration of the area. Once you get out to Totem Bright they'll have a guide there that will take you down to the totem poles and give you a nice talk. I had a friend who was driving the tour bus for Princess and she loved talking with the tourists, she is a school teacher in Ketchikan.

Probably because 1) that wasn't her question and 2) even after she assured everyone that she was comfortable with her decision, she was told that she was wrong. There's plenty of threads asking seasoned travelers their experienced options of tours. This isn't one of them.

Amen! This happens way too often.

OP - have a wonderful time with your choices. And, Happy Anniversary!