Need advice about San Pedro, CA

Leaving on the Pearl from San Pedro in October 2017 & need advice about the area.

1) Any suggestions on Hotels (good or bad ones)

2) Much to do around surrounding area / suggestions

3) Is area safe around this area

4) Transportation from Long Beach Airport

5) Is it worth arriving a couple days early

Thanks for any advice / suggestions

We stayed at Crowne Plaza ..it was right in front of port .Went to seaside for lunch ...not much around I think Mex food ..not much else as I recall

The hotl has a shuttle to a mall I font remember if they shuttles us to port

No need to stay more than night before ...could go to Long Beach to see q M 1

Dont hang out late

You could see your ship come in ...we did ...

Leaving on the Pearl from San Pedro in October 2017 & need advice about the area.

1) Any suggestions on Hotels (good or bad ones)

2) Much to do around surrounding area / suggestions

3) Is area safe around this area

4) Transportation from Long Beach Airport

5) Is it worth arriving a couple days early

Thanks for any advice / suggestions

1. We stayed at the Crown Plaza. Other nice hotel there is the Double Tree San Pedro, which is very nice, but it is a bit diffficult to walk anywhere from there.

2. Area was not bad. Walking distance to waterfront area shops and restaurants.

3. We landed at LAX and took Super Shuttle. $22 pp pre booked on their website and got 10% discount they were running at the time.

4. We went 2 days pre cruise. Did an all day tour of LA with Sunseekers Tour: small personal tour group ( I think we were 9 people). They picked us up from Crown Plaza and dropped us back there in the evening. Excellent tour guide. I liked that it was not one of those big bus tours.

Enjoy your cruise. Also look the west coast boards for more information.

We stayed at Best Western Plus San Pedro at 111 S Gaffey Street. It is clean, nice and they offer free breakfast and shuttle to the pier. We walked to the pier and the surrounding area the day we arrived. The hotel recommended a great Italian restaurant for dinner and the food was excellent and plentiful. We cabbed to the restaurant because the three of us with combined air (1 person) and driving (two of us) we did not wish to walk anymore. The hotel called the cab and gave us the number for the return to the hotel. The restaurant called our cab when we finished dinner. We would definitely stay there again.

I live nearby in Hermosa Beach. If you plan on staying a few days I'd stay in Redondo, Hermosa or Manhattan Beach. All are within 15-20 minutes from LAX, have great restaurants and bars/nightlife plus beautiful free beaches. Very safe places. If you have kids Disneyland, Knotts Berry a Farm and Universal Studios are all within 45 minutes if no traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have always stayed at the Crown Plaza which we have gotten from Hotwire or Priceline. It has been at least 2 years ago, but if you bid on a 3 1/2 star in San Pedro, you will get either the CP or the DoubleTree and I have never paid more than $65. We only spend one night prior to the cruise as there is not much to do in the immediate area. The CP has several restaurants nearby that are walkable.

The Best Western may fit the bill, but it is in a pretty sketchy area of Gaffey St according to one of the designation experts who posts on the Western Departure board.

Try to go to the dancing fountains in the port area--it is open until 9pm. Think Bellagio but smaller. If you can't walk to the port, the CP shuttle will take you to the fountains and pick you up latter.

The CP also has a shuttle to the port--be sure to sign up the night before.

We stayed at Best Western Plus San Pedro at 111 S Gaffey Street. It is clean, nice and they offer free breakfast and shuttle to the pier. We walked to the pier and the surrounding area the day we arrived. The hotel recommended a great Italian restaurant for dinner and the food was excellent and plentiful. We cabbed to the restaurant because the three of us with combined air (1 person) and driving (two of us) we did not wish to walk anymore. The hotel called the cab and gave us the number for the return to the hotel. The restaurant called our cab when we finished dinner. We would definitely stay there again.

We've stayed at the Best Western twice. Nice place and nice people. However, San Pedro is an industrial blue collar type community. I grew up out there many years ago (Manhattan Beach) and it always has been. Other than down by the harbor, not much of tourist interest. And I would not stray from the hotel far at night. There is some gang activity in the neighborhoods.