Juneau Excursion - Dog Sled By Helicopter

Jeter02

We did a similar excursion in Skagway last summer. Helicopter trip to the Denver glacier to visit a dog sled camp. Then a great sled ride and we got to see the puppies. It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip

We are looking at that also. I am concerned about the dog sled part of it because of my knees. I read someone's review who said that you stand on two boards and it was like water skiing over snow with a lot of bumps and such. Also, that it required you to lift one foot up to slow down when going too fast. I also read that you can wipe out and fall!

Can anyone comment on the mushing part of this excursion?

The one we were on you switched off sitting and standing. I am sure if you did not want to stand you could sit the whole time. The mushers are used to dealing with all types and they want you to be safe and have a good time. Just a suggestion .. if you check out http://www.tripadvisor.com and search dog sledding and the port you want to do it in, you can see lots of reviews. Hope this helps

Did this many years ago and the helicopter ride itself was worth the price.....incredible views. But the seeing the dogs, sleds and doing the sled ride on real snow was also a terrific experience. This is one of those "you can only do it there" experiences.....worth the price.

I am highly considering the dog sled by helicopter excursion in Juneau. Thoughts? Is it worth it the cost?

We did this in 2006 and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! Definitely worth the cost. Every part of the trip--riding in a helicopter (my first time), landing on top of the glacier, getting to visit the dogs, riding the dog sled. As a pp mentioned, DH and I alternated between sitting and standing, but you could probably just sit the whole time. I'm not aware of anybody in our group having any issues at all as far as wiping out.

After the sled ride, the helicopter took us on a scenic flight back over the glaciers and it was just magical! I would do it again if we ever go back.

This is one case where I would definitely go with a ship-based excursion for one reason... Weather. It can move in and ground the helicopters and strand you at the mushers' camp. It happened a few years ago when a couple of HAL ships were in port (I heard this directly from a HAL crew member on the whale watching excursion I took - and then a podcast (I think This American Life, but not 100% on that) did a story with a girl who had worked at a mushers' camp for a summer and it happened when she was working there as well) and the guests had to be put up at the mushers' camp until the helicopters could get back to get them. The HAL excursion people were then put on a train or a smaller boat to go and meet their ship, all expenses covered by HAL while those who had booked their own were left haggling with the company about what was going to be covered regarding the expenses to the mushers' camp and getting back to their ship.

We booked the Princess excursion for our July cruise. Taking grandkids and they are excited about dogsledding on glacier and holding the puppies; plus I think the helicopter gives a tour of the area before landing on glacier.

Yes!, I'm cruising there in July as well.

We booked the Princess excursion for our July cruise. Taking grandkids and they are excited about dogsledding on glacier and holding the puppies; plus I think the helicopter gives a tour of the area before landing on glacier.

Jeter02, maybe you should book the excursion. Once in a lifetime. Have not read or seen one person say they did not think it was worth it; it was highlight of their trip.

Thanks AF-1. I have reserved / booked it :)

Jeter02, maybe you should book the excursion. Once in a lifetime. Have not read or seen one person say they did not think it was worth it; it was highlight of their trip.

One of the most expensive tours but differently worth while once in a life time experience - we highly recommend the tour - the day we went the weather was beautiful, clear skys & sunny - on our dog sled ride both of us sat only the driver stood. Have fun!!!