Carnival P & O Australia pulling out of Freo.

Then you could have even longer cruises that could maybe visit South Africa, Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Maldives, India or Sri Lanka. Plenty of options and I think people would fly to Perth for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess has done that itinerary a few times - Indian Ocean Odyssey. It was a 47 or 49 night itinerary. We were planning to go in 2009, but family stuff got in the way, so we went in 2011. On both those cruises Princess had to discount the prices to fill the ship. The starting price was just over $5,000pp. By the way, the cruise was great.

Princess has done that itinerary a few times - Indian Ocean Odyssey. It was a 47 or 49 night itinerary. We were planning to go in 2009, but family stuff got in the way, so we went in 2011. On both those cruises Princess had to discount the prices to fill the ship. The starting price was just over $5,000pp. By the way, the cruise was great.

Wow, did not know this, will have to look into it. Thanks

I don't know why they don't have more cruises based in Perth, I'd fly from over east if they had good ports.

You could have Perth cruises going to Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island, Indonesian islands etc.

Then you could have even longer cruises that could maybe visit South Africa, Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Maldives, India or Sri Lanka. Plenty of options and I think people would fly to Perth for it.

You could but I wouldn't want long trips on P&O ships, I prefer the other lines for longer trips.

I didn't know about that cruise from Perth either. What time of year was it?

I didn't know about that cruise from Perth either. What time of year was it?

The one we went on was on the Sun Princess on 3rd May, 2011 but I did not feel it was the best time. A later version, went earlier in the year. I think it was late January.

I don't know why they don't have more cruises based in Perth, I'd fly from over east if they had good ports.

You could have Perth cruises going to Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island, Indonesian islands etc.

Agree - I would definitely do Perth to Perth loops that ventured out to any of those destinations. Its an under utilised region.

Agree - I would definitely do Perth to Perth loops that ventured out to any of those destinations. Its an under utilised region.

I always thought it was strange that UK/European cruise lines cruised in that region and yet no cruise line cruised from Australia, which borders the Indian Ocean.

I always thought it was strange that UK/European cruise lines cruised in that region and yet no cruise line cruised from Australia, which borders the Indian Ocean.

It took 7 sea days to get to Mauritius from Freo on the QM2 which cruises a good deal faster than most other ships (23 knots as opposed to around 15). While I enjoyed the sea days, this may be a dampener for many. Reunion Island would possibly be a day earlier. Alternatively travelling north first and going via Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, the Middle east and such before retracing the way back may be preferable. Or even darting down from Oman to the Seychelles and then Madagascar and Mauritius before returning to Australia.

It took 7 sea days to get to Mauritius from Freo on the QM2 which cruises a good deal faster than most other ships (23 knots as opposed to around 15). While I enjoyed the sea days, this may be a dampener for many. Reunion Island would possibly be a day earlier. Alternatively travelling north first and going via Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, the Middle east and such before retracing the way back may be preferable. Or even darting down from Oman to the Seychelles and then Madagascar and Mauritius before returning to Australia.

On the Sun Princess cruise we went to India, Seychelles, South Africa and Reunion before heading back to Fremantle. There were seven sea days in a row from Reunion to WA. I don't mind that but some people find it too long.

On the Sun Princess cruise we went to India, Seychelles, South Africa and Reunion before heading back to Fremantle. There were seven sea days in a row from Reunion to WA. I don't mind that but some people find it too long.

Yes seven sea days in a row doesn't appeal to me, unless I was on a ship with interesting guest speakers and superb entertainment day and night (which used to be the case).

Would a cruise to South Africa and back, via the islands, via a different route each way, on the edge of the Indian Ocean, be a possibility, rather than straight back across. I know it would be a longer cruise, but how much more exciting. A new Grand Cruise!

Yes seven sea days in a row doesn't appeal to me, unless I was on a ship with interesting guest speakers and superb entertainment day and night (which used to be the case).

Our guest lecturer on that cruise was an American who had worked in a ship-building yard. He proudly told us he had 36 lectures all about ships. I went to them all (for something to do) but after the first half dozen talks, the audience was down to about 30 people.

Would a cruise to South Africa and back, via the islands, via a different route each way, on the edge of the Indian Ocean, be a possibility, rather than straight back across. I know it would be a longer cruise, but how much more exciting. A new Grand Cruise!

It is a possibility but it seems the cruise lines haven't committed to it as yet.

Our guest lecturer on that cruise was an American who had worked in a ship-building yard. He proudly told us he had 36 lectures all about ships. I went to them all (for something to do) but after the first half dozen talks, the audience was down to about 30 people.

That made me LOL. Talk about a captive audience! Makes one wonder who books some of these guest speakers.