Cruise global, taste local chef-led excursion

lizboyle

I'm interested in the Cruise Global, Taste Local chef-led excursion in Livorno. Has anyone done any of these excursions and are they worth the very high cost? I'm a bit of a foodie, love to cook and love food markets but my husband merely eats to live and isn't keen on paying £270 for something he might not enjoy. I'm not sure about doing it on my own. I'd appreciate any info from anyone who has done this excursion even in another port. Thanks in advance.

Liz

at one point it was offered for free to top cruisers while checking out how it went.. I also have done just a market one in Kotor. being that no meal is on land but on ship not sure how i feel about the cost. some people have done it and I hope you get answers.

at one point it was offered for free to top cruisers while checking out how it went.. I also have done just a market one in Kotor. being that no meal is on land but on ship not sure how i feel about the cost. some people have done it and I hope you get answers.

Thank you Ellbon. It is very expensive, hence why I ask if it warrants the cost.

I did a "local eats" trip with Chef Fabio in Phuket, Thailand. The price was a bit less than your trip ($280 US), but I know that the asian tour costs are overall lower than Europe. Our tour included transportation to the shopping area which was really fun. I was amazing to see the fresh seafood, and poultry. We spent over an hour shopping. Then the chef left with his helpers and our group went on to a full Thai lunch, followed by a tour of a rum factory, and a cashew processor. We got back to the ship after dark (it was winter), so it was a full day. Dinner had to be postponed a bit to allow us to get cleaned up. The highlight was the absolutely amazing "Thai" dinner in Prime C using the ingredients we had purchased earlier that day. We only were a small group, and one gentleman did the tour without his wife and still had a great time. Do it if you want to.

I did a "local eats" trip with Chef Fabio in Phuket, Thailand. The price was a bit less than your trip ($280 US), but I know that the asian tour costs are overall lower than Europe. Our tour included transportation to the shopping area which was really fun. I was amazing to see the fresh seafood, and poultry. We spent over an hour shopping. Then the chef left with his helpers and our group went on to a full Thai lunch, followed by a tour of a rum factory, and a cashew processor. We got back to the ship after dark (it was winter), so it was a full day. Dinner had to be postponed a bit to allow us to get cleaned up. The highlight was the absolutely amazing "Thai" dinner in Prime C using the ingredients we had purchased earlier that day. We only were a small group, and one gentleman did the tour without his wife and still had a great time. Do it if you want to.

Thank you Leo_On_Geo, that sounds fabulous! The description in the shore excursion brochure on the other hand, merely suggests you go shopping with the chef, dump him while he cooks your meal and then meet up later for a dinner planned and cooked by him/her. Please reassure me there's more involved due to the cost.

Thank you Leo_On_Geo, that sounds fabulous! The description in the shore excursion brochure on the other hand, merely suggests you go shopping with the chef, dump him while he cooks your meal and then meet up later for a dinner planned and cooked by him/her. Please reassure me there's more involved due to the cost.

There was one that was shopping-back to ship for lunch- back out to taste wine- back to ship for dinner.. I feel that is over priced.. to me there is nothing local about eating on the ship.. even if you pick out your own fish. eating local is eating in a nice restaurant on your own.

spend the money on your own dinner our our lunch out.

sorry i do not think it is worth it. never seen one like Leo talks about.

You have to read the description. I have seen some that do not include lunch, mine did. Most have some local food/ wine tasting aspect. I think just the shopping and a dinner is probably not worth the cost.

I guess if you have never been to a region before, have lots of OBC (or $$$) to burn, it may make sense.

Otherwise, at that price, not even a thought.

We've been in markets all over the world and do not need someone, in virtually every case, to describe what I am seeing. The market visit costs nothing. I then would be happy to eat somewhere local where the total cost, depending on the region, may be between 1% and 15% of this tour. And cooked by locals, which is a big factor for us. If I am enjoying local provisions and ingredients, I want someone there to prepare my meal, not a chef on a cruise ship.

We were also on that great "local eats" tour with Chef Fabio and his helpers. It was a great experience and we would definitely do it again. It did help to have a small group like we did.

I guess if you have never been to a region before, have lots of OBC (or $$$) to burn, it may make sense.

Otherwise, at that price, not even a thought.

We've been in markets all over the world and do not need someone, in virtually every case, to describe what I am seeing. The market visit costs nothing. I then would be happy to eat somewhere local where the total cost, depending on the region, may be between 1% and 15% of this tour. And cooked by locals, which is a big factor for us. If I am enjoying local provisions and ingredients, I want someone there to prepare my meal, not a chef on a cruise ship.

We have travelled extensively, been to the region many times and have ZERO OBC. I agree that it would be so much better if it included dinner ashore.

If I were you, I would visit the market on my own and go to an Osteria. This is a very local, and very good restaurant which to my opinion are best places to eat in Italy.

Italians have a distinction among their places to eat and call them restaurants, trattorias, osterias and pizzerias. Osterias are not fancy but in a very local atmosphere serve the best Italian home made food I have had. If you look at trip advisor for best osterias in Livorno you might get some names.

I would not do the excursion with the ship because of the price and because of the easy way of doing the same things on my own.