A Small Matter

joeyancho

Sorry, but even NYC has street mailboxes.

Yep, one right on my corner street and many in the neighborhood. And one right outside my place of work, 3 blocks from the 911 memorial. We still have them.

It's not so easy to mail a letter these days. Corner mailboxes no longer exist since 9/11/01. One must seek out a post office. Not exactly how I want to spend vacation time.

Sorry...We have corner mailboxes in many places in San Francisco.

Tom😀

I agree with you, but mailed April 3rd and today is May 11! That's a bit much!:o:confused::eek::(

On one cruise we mailed a post card in Lima it got delivered before we got home. Mailed one on the ship, it was delivered 3 months later. 1 month is not enough time.

This is note a new problem... on ships or even hotels... I sometimes mail cards from Hotels in Europe... have had the same experience, they eventually show up... you are home a long before they arrive...don't know why???

In most cases the mail drops are emptied at the last port of call in a given country, but not always onshored depending on how busy things are. They are not mailed by ship staff as well, they are given to the port agent, who may get around to it. Sometime. Maybe. Eventually.

Not from a ship but sent a post card from Jamaica to my mom one year. A couple of years later, she called me and asked if we had gone to Jamaica again. I said no ...why are you asking?? Because she just got the post card. A couple years late ...hahaha!!

But, I did go on a cruise out of San Francisco a couple of years ago and my neighbor was just going to drop by the mailbox and then off to the BART station. We ended up forgetting about the mailbox and he ended up taking us all the way to the pier. In all our excitement, guess we forgot to pay our credit card bill ... it was still in my carry on luggage when we arrived onboard. I found it while unpacking. So, we were to be in SF overnight so what possessed me to do this .. I don't know?? But I asked the girl at the front desk if they had a mail drop and would it be picked up before the ship left SF the next day. Of course it will be, she answered. ARGH! Silly me .. should have just mailed it myself or paid it online. Lesson learned, don't drop off your mail on the ship. Don't know where it was all that time but did eventually get to it's destination but probably not mailed until they hit the next American port of call .... which wasn't until a few weeks later ... past my scheduled payment date.