Viking Eir- A Rhine river cruise review

Solent Richard

My wife and I have recently completed another successful river cruise along the Rhine onboard the Viking Longship, Viking Eir.

34482836645_29672a28bd_z.jpg

Having booked a veranda AA suite on Deck 3 for this particular cruise we joined the ship in Basel and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to an Explorer Suite at the stern of the ship...

34441531726_ec39d9fd00_z.jpg

As always the included excursions were good and the organisation was exemplary...

34372566801_9b68840dc6_z.jpg

Certainly no one could complain about the food on Viking Eir

34097735110_e43d937d13_z.jpg

...while the staff once again were outstanding.

Of course river cruising is not ocean cruising but what Viking offer is amazingly good in the context of river cruising.

The full review, along with over one hundred photographs covering the ship and the itinerary, can be found here....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/05/12/viking-eir-rhine-getaway-april-2017/

I'd be delighted to answer any specific questions ...

Edited by Solent Richard

Highlights of the itinerary of the above cruise included the view from the tower of basel Cathedral...

34290349672_bab07ea1b8_z.jpg

The visit to Heidelberg Castle...

33640140593_5f939b8392_z.jpg

Cologne's nightscape...

34336875021_f206732a0a_z.jpg

and the visit to Kinderdijk's UNESCO site...

34066258980_bfbee0c3c8_z.jpg

Thank you for starting this review, with such a nice balance of pictures and text. I hope you will fill the request of many posters on another thread and include the daily menus.

Wonderful review, and beautiful pictures. What a "suite" upgrade! You'll have trouble settling for less now:-)

Robin

Thanks Robin.

Actually I've voluntarily downsized on the Viking Kadlin next year in order to balance reviews.

Thank you for starting this review, with such a nice balance of pictures and text. I hope you will fill the request of many posters on another thread and include the daily menus.

No problem Jazzbeau...

33673051823_8634f8108d_z.jpg

34322898062_e140084f76_z.jpg

33804883603_e9292b35d8_z.jpg

34228798810_2a0a77270d_z.jpg

And just 2 'left' sides as only the cheese board and wines changed on the right side...

34484390841_a2f5e31d92_z.jpg

34453053972_24c3aff5dc_z.jpg

Sorry Jazzbeau, just looked for the other thread and the only obvious Food theme is now closed.

Shame really, I had a 'fishy' answer. :D:D

Hello Solent Richard,

great to hear you had such a lovely time on the Viking Eir. I looked briefly at your blog so cannot remember the menus from there. The ones you have posted here would not let me think you are in the Netherlands or in Germany at the time if your cruise. But other than that there is a nice choice of meals I guess. Pumpkin in Spring is a little odd but then it is not always easy to find a good balanced vegetarian dish that works in a river galley I can well imagine.

But, OH MY GOODNESS, I have spotted an Ahr wine on the menu! It does not get any more regional and unusual than that. The Ahr is a small wine region near Bonn on the river of that name. They produce some very good red wines (medium price and medium body in general). I am positively surprised.

notamermaid

Hello Solent Richard,

great to hear you had such a lovely time on the Viking Eir. I looked briefly at your blog so cannot remember the menus from there. The ones you have posted here would not let me think you are in the Netherlands or in Germany at the time if your cruise. But other than that there is a nice choice of meals I guess. Pumpkin in Spring is a little odd but then it is not always easy to find a good balanced vegetarian dish that works in a river galley I can well imagine.

But, OH MY GOODNESS, I have spotted an Ahr wine on the menu! It does not get any more regional and unusual than that. The Ahr is a small wine region near Bonn on the river of that name. They produce some very good red wines (medium price and medium body in general). I am positively surprised.

notamermaid

Good morning NotaMermaid.

Thank you for your comment.

We certainly did have a 'Taste of Germany' night when the staff dressed for the occasion and entertainment was laid on...

34482835455_efd617e901_z.jpg

There were pre-laid appetisers of meats and cheeses...

33782993644_f67654884b_z.jpg

and though there was a buffet available there were choices of pre-plated dishes...

34240076220_2fde8de6bc_z.jpg

It was a good night.